Yet Another Anatomy Of A Fight Video (Critiques Always Wanted)

2 replies to this topic

#1 Zombie Gandhi

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:58 AM

So, I've kept in mind the various suggestions and pointers that people have given me the last few weeks, so here I am with another video to see how much I have improved. As per usual, I would appreciate any critiques of strategy, timing, and overall how well/how poorly, I did.

Also, I would appreciate any critique of the video itself. While I have no delusions of being a Youtube phenom, what I do upload, I would like to be of some quality. Is there anything in this particular video type (breakdown of a fight) that would make it more watchable and enjoyable?

While taking Kappa, it is a fair bit of nothing happening on screen. While there is still commentary, there's nothing visually interesting. Should this have been cut to keep what's on screen interesting, or does it make sense here to leave it in?

As always, I appreciate your critiques of my strategy, quality of play, and everything in between.

#2 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:31 AM

Not much I noticed in the fight itself - you paid attention to enemy facing, balanced aggression with threat (e.g. you backed off the heavy you hit from behind toward the end because he had a King Crab with him - then bored in on the KC once you got target info and realized he was an LRM monkey.) Your consideration of covered and concealed routes is good - this will hold you in good stead on Polar Highlands.

All in all a pretty uneventful match, as things go - my only word of real advice is to try and avoid capping if there's a fight going on - unless you're a fast mover. The reason I rather tend to dislike Conquest is that the optimal strategy is the same as other modes (group up, fix, flank, and kill) while the extra cap points confuse people into doing silly things. One of those things is to avoid the fighting in order to get the caps. In the video, you were correct to cap, and you checked the scoreboard for kills to make sure. Just keep doing that.

#3 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:45 AM

View PostZombie Gandhi, on 26 January 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

While taking Kappa, it is a fair bit of nothing happening on screen. While there is still commentary, there's nothing visually interesting. Should this have been cut to keep what's on screen interesting, or does it make sense here to leave it in?

No no, that's good. It makes you realise how long you have been out of the fight. Almost 3 minutes! (from 11:55 to 9:05) It's more than enough time to lose a fight when you're outnumbered.
On small maps (that includes almost all maps) the primary objective in Conquest is to stomp the enemy team and kill as many of their mechs as possible as fast as possible. Once you're leading by 8 kills to none, good for them if they have 3 or 4 points, they can't move any more and you'll get those points back soon enough.
In a way, this is skirmish with a timer. It forces the "losing" team to move and take initiative.

Especially in this situation, going for Kappa was a mistake: it was still early in the game (~230 points), score were fairly even and your team already controlled 3 points! More than that, you didn't controlled the central one, so if there was a point to regain control to, this was the one.
Sorry to put it like this, but you didn't won this game because your strategy was good, but because the enemy made the same mistake you made: they didn't take advantage of you being split, and they split themselves.

The combat parts were good though. Good job identifying and prioritizing weak targets.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users