2 replies to this topic

#1 Dreden Aelnir

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 42 posts
  • LocationDragoon TOC

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:40 AM

Let me start by saying I like this game...I don't however LOVE it. I have been playing Battletech since high school (~23 years ago) and have played every incarnation since. When MWO was announced I was VERY excited as what was promised was a immersive experience set in a universe that I know and love. However what we got was a World of Tanks clone with "lazers".

The path laid out by the devs is "maybe" enough to keep my interest but the details and a real time table are sorely lacking. What is missing is the FEEL of the BT/MW universe and a, at least a percieved, lack of appreciation of it from the devs. What follows is some thoughts on what I would like to see happen to the game to bring it back into alignment with the lore/canon/feel of a universe that doesn't need to be reinvented...

Introduction (Learning Curve)/New Player Experience:
Problem:
Given your business model you have developed a system in which new players are thrown to the wolves (us) without understanding the basics of the game. Yes you make money selling them mechs they barely know how to pilot but do you think they will be around after getting demolished, game after game? Additionaly, given the business model, there is no progression to keep them coming back. From minute one they have access to every mech in the game, which is bad for business and limits the reasons to maintain a premium account.

Solution:
The solution for this is threefold.
First, 4-5 missions of PvE content (NOT tutorials, but actual content with money and exp) in which they are introduced to the game, earn a little cash to start and aren't complete noobs on their first drop.
Second, mech trees. Never underestimate the rat at the slot machine. Giving your pilots something to work for, aka progression up a tree, keeps them coming back. Seperate the trees into the classic four tiers (light/med/hvy/aslt) and flavor it based on the house of their chosing.
Third: A deep pilot tree centered around a specific mech chassis. More on this later

Balance:
Problem:
Given that you have divested yourselves of any of the mitigating factors of the BT game universe, you find yourselves chasing after balance and will continue to do so forever. As you have stated yourselves how do you balance clantech that is superior in every way to it's IS counterparts? Your solution is to neuter it, which detracts from the flavor of the universe and simply moves you farther and farther away from it.

Solution:
I'll say it till I'm blue in the face, BATTLE VALUE. It is such an easy solution and is in use by nearly every other multiplayer battletech game. Netmech, Mechwarrior Tactics, MegaMek, etc all use the system that was SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED to balance engagements. Why must you feel it necessary to reinvent the wheel? Tonnage balanced engagements are not the answer, screwing with weapon dynamics **** off your player base and will be an endless/fruitless pursuit.

Gameplay:
Problem:
Day 0 pilots are just as good as Day 1000 pilots, more or less. If you can get your reticle over a target you are doing damage. Boring, predictible and does nothing to promote specialization and dedication to a particular mech chassis/play style.

Solution:
Pilot trees that actually mean something. Bring back at least some of the RPG elements that made BT worth investing time in. Gunnery/Piloting ranks should have a direct and meaningful impact on gameplay.
-Gunnery
We need a weapon spread mechanic. A dotted ring around our reitcles that indicates the "margin of error" (gunnery skill or lack thereof) of fire. This ring should be small if you are stationary (and smaller as you go up the gunnery tree) and increases as you move. It should be huge if you jump. Jumping in the BT universe is a means of manuever not engagement, flame away.
-Piloting
Falling, DFA, going up hills, taking a {Scrap} ton of damage and staying up (shaking) should all be covered by this tree. Forget the "hill climb" module, the amount of speed reduction should be determined by this skill.

Mechs:
Problem:
This right here will probable light the torches and breakout the farm instruments. Mechs shouldn't be customizable. AHHHH, the flames...
Yeah I said it. What's the point of having what are essentially omni-mechs? Part of the fun of BT was choosing, working towards, an iconic mech that suited your play style. Why buy a Raven when I can buy a Spider, make it stupid fast and mount the ECM (and take 7 AC/20 rounds, laugh at my opponents and tell them they smell of elderberries)?

Solution:
With a real mech tree, having canon stock builds will give your player base something to work towards. It would also limit your constant need to "rebalance" the game as the uber-screw-you builds would go away...until the clans, but even then sticking to the configs would curb that a little. Then you pair this with the pilot tree (attached to a chassis) and you get something that would keep, at least me, coming back and spending money on premium time. As a commander I would much rather have that player/pilot who knows his Spider/Hunchie/Atlas inside and out, works on getting to the top tier in gunnery/piloting for that chassis, and knows his/her role on the battlefield.

What it comes down to is this, what makes your product different then World of Tanks? What distinguishes it in a market of clones? Lasers and biped robots aren't going to do that. What does is the universe, the lore and the more you try to shoehorn that cloned business model into it, the more you lose the feel, which is why I am here. I have spent a LOT of money on this game but honestly the more you make it a generic homogenized FPS, the more I start looking for alternatives.

Thank you for your time,
Dreden Aelnir
Ebonheart Dragoons

#2 Boozlebean

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBloomington

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:12 AM

Sure hit the nail on the head with that one.

#3 Loganauer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 139 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

These are all excellent suggestions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users