How To Select 2 Of The 3 Game Modes To Play?

15 replies to this topic

#1 MountainCopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationUU, Ankh-Morpork

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

With now 3 game modes, if I only want to play 2 of them, I can't select these. For instance, there aren't check boxes to select/deselect game modes...

#2 Screech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

+1

#3 Trucker

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

I too would like this. TDM (or skirmish) was not something I ever really wanted in this game and after playing it a few times justifies my reasoning as to why (ie 1 dimensional play). A way of circumventing this match type while still queuing for the other two would be much appreciated.

#4 Biglead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationManassas, Va

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:44 PM

Yes, please for the love of all things holy. Allow us to choose Assault, Conquest and omit Skirmish from our drops.

+1

#5 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

+1
Hopefully included in 2.0
I don't think anyone but CoD players wanted this, unfortunately the greifing on this mode is going to be EPIC.

Like I said, be careful what you wish for.

Edited by Roadbeer, 17 December 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#6 Eflin

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 17 December 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

+1
Hopefully included in 2.0
I don't think anyone but CoD players wanted this, unfortunately the greifing on this mode is going to be EPIC.

Like I said, be careful what you wish for.

Unfortunately I agree both with this point and with this thread. Please give us the option to select 2 out of the 3 modes (I still haven't decided to axe any modes yet... but it needs to be an option to select 2 of 3)

#7 Tyrnea Smurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 258 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

If nothing else this is something the DEVs will have to consider going forward with additional game modes in the future.

We really need a way to select the ones we'd like to play and avoid the ones we don't.

#8 Xakthos

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:14 AM

I don't actually mind the skirmish mode but have always hated conquest. Would love to queue up for assault and skirmish.

#9 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:27 AM

Without Skirmish being solo-only, it's a pointless mode.

PUGs have even fewer tactical options in this mode, leaving premades with an even greater advantage.

#10 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

This seems like a no-brainer to me. I've always felt I'm kindof cheating by picking my mode, but I'm changing my mind. No need for Skirmish for me (though I do like the 90 degrees from Assault spawn points on a couple maps, cool touch!)

#11 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

View PostRoadbeer, on 17 December 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Basically all of the serious mechwarrior veterans wanted deathmatch, because it leads to deeper gameplay.

#12 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

View PostRoland, on 18 December 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

Basically all of the serious mechwarrior veterans wanted deathmatch, because it leads to deeper gameplay.

If by "deeper" you mean holing up in a tactically advantageous spot like the cave in Colony and picking off your enemy one by one as they try to advance, then ok.

As a "serious mechwarrior veteran" I don't mind that style of play, but it is by no means deeper gameplay. Quite, the contrary actually.

Assault mode offers a much richer gameplay experience.

#13 Snoopy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 107 posts
  • LocationAlmost there ...

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:50 AM

Full approval.

Please try to implement a correlating option in UI v2.

I enjoy the random game mode selection, but Skirmish is imho the mode with the upmost frustation potential.

#14 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:54 AM

+1

#15 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostBhael Fire, on 18 December 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

If by "deeper" you mean holing up in a tactically advantageous spot like the cave in Colony and picking off your enemy one by one as they try to advance, then ok.

As a "serious mechwarrior veteran" I don't mind that style of play, but it is by no means deeper gameplay. Quite, the contrary actually.

Assault mode offers a much richer gameplay experience.

Not the ideal thread to respond to this comment. However, after playing a dozen or so skirmish games I find them (so far) better, closer and more interesting than the equivalent assault mode games.

Even PUG groups are moving in lances or groups and taking greater advantage of terrain ... and often a different route/plan in each game. Sometimes folks find a good defensive position, other times they go looking for opponents and fall back ... but they are doing a better job of sticking together since the team objectives aren't split between guarding the cap point and eliminating the opponents. You need to watch out for light mechs attacking from behind ... not skirting around you trying to cap and splitting forces as a result.

There also appears to be fewer people running off on their own since everyone knows the only way to win is to defeat the opposing team ... not walk your Atlas to the opposing base and try to cap (I have actually spectated someone doing this - they were the last mech standing and of course died while capping ... but the skirmish mode helps prevent idiocy like this :) ).

The only issue with skirmish is the possible hiding of the last mech on the opposing team.It hasn't happened in a game I have played yet but considering the attention the issue is getting .. it is clearly happening in some matches.

#16 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:03 AM

View PostMawai, on 19 December 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

.. but they are doing a better job of sticking together since the team objectives aren't split between guarding the cap point and eliminating the opponents. You need to watch out for light mechs attacking from behind ... not skirting around you trying to cap and splitting forces as a result.

These points are a valid reason why Skirmish can be fun; there's less to worry about, so players can focus on one objective.

However, this is exactly why it's not "deeper" gameplay. There's less tactics involved because there's only one objective. In Assault you have two objectives; protect your base AND destroy/capture your enemy. This makes Assault much more dynamic and requires more tactical saavy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users