Logitech Setpoint 6.61 Causing Drop In Fps

17 replies to this topic

#1 Selvetarm

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

I recently purchased a Logitech Performance Mouse MX to use with MWO, and am having some trouble with the SetPoint 6.61 software that is used to program the mouse. If I run SetPoint as normal, MWO doesn't even recognize the thumb buttons (Forward, Back, Zoom, and AppSwitch. The latter two have been rebound to keystrokes 3 and 6 respectively). If I run SetPoint as Admin, then the game recognizes the thumb buttons, but it causes the game to suffer significantly. Without SetPoint, I can run the game on max settings without a hitch. Running the game along side SetPoint (As Admin), I experience significant drops in FPS, rendering the added mouse functionality relatively useless. I've looked into UberOptions and X-MouseButton, but these solutions will not work for this mouse, as UberOptions only supports SetPoint 4.80 (Which doesn't support the Performance MX), and X-MouseButton doesn't allow me to bind Zoom and AppSwitch.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve switching devices? I love the mouse, but the software/drivers are killing me here. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

#2 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:52 AM

Can you not use the new 'logitech gaming software'? I recently installed it, and it's taken over the job of setpoint. Good riddance. Setpoint was terrible. The new one seems alot less invasive.

I'm running a G9X and G710+.. not sure if it's available for the MX versions.

#3 Selvetarm

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

Sadly, Logitech Gaming Software does not support mice that don't come from their gaming line. I tried it, too because I heard good things about the software, but it wouldn't recognize the Performance MX. I've figured out that if I completely uninstall SetPoint, I can at least get functionality back for the Forward and Back buttons as Mouse 4 and Mouse 5, but that still leaves two buttons entirely useless. Two whole weapon groups that could have easier access for firing, were it not for Logitech's shortcomings.

Still looking for other solutions, though, because I really do like the feel of the mouse overall.

#4 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:31 PM

I feel your pain bud, had similar issues with an MX620.

What I can tell you is this:
There is likely a workaround with the XMouse solution.
On my MX620, I had a "Search" button. With no logitech software installed, I was able to find out that this sent "Virtual Key xx" (I forget the number, maybe 26?)

I then used Autohotkey to map that function to something else.

I seem to remember all I needed was the AHK recorder program - I pressed the button that could not be mapped, and it told me the virtual key number.

Then just rebind that key using an AHK script.
So say the virtual key number was 99, you could use a script like this to map that button to middle mouse button:

*VK99::
send MButton
return

#5 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

Greetings all,

Reference the "set point" software:

Install and run all the other components of the Logitech programs except the set point components. You can uncheck the "install set point" during the full program install, I have the unifying software for the keyboard and mouse.
I run a G110 and G700 and only run the gamming software 8.50 version. Which controls all the settings for both.

I do not have set point running during MWO only the gamming software as that is where I set the mouse DPI parameters and buttons. Once it's turned on and residing on the taskbar I have no issues, all the buttons work and MWO can "see" any changes I make. (although once I set up the thumb and DPI buttons I haven't had to change then in months.)

I see that the MX only shows the set point, flow control, and unifying downloads. But I give you the link for the Gaming software, I assuming your running Win7 and 64bit.
http://www.logitech....ction=downloads

That's the drivers for my G700 but the gamming software is the correct version you should be able to run. If it doesn't work for you, it's a simple uninstall.

You should be looking at a screen like this to set, program buttons, set the ranges for DPI, report rate, and profiles. That's my mouse, but it should see and identify yours also.

Posted Image

And uninstall the set point as it is doing you no good. I don't know why Logitech hasn't advanced the gaming software with the newer mice.

later,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 25 October 2013 - 11:23 PM.

#6 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:11 AM

Logitech Gaming Software only works with G series mice, and he has an MX.

#7 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:46 AM

With SetPoint (non-Admin), you could get Mouse 4&5 recognized in games by setting them to Generic Button. (And it should still work as Back/Forward in browsers.)

One of the remaining two thumb buttons can then be assigned to Mouse Sensitivity, and make it switchable if you want. That'd be the one bonus for having SetPoint rather than uninstalling.

Anyway, that's what I do with my Performance MX. Experimenting beyond that gets to be too much effort for a game. (I simply select Fire Groups 5&6 via keyboard or moving primary fire to them for circumstances of range or arms or whatever).

#8 Mandark Reyoku

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 72 posts
  • LocationLutheren

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:16 AM

I have had this issue since closed beta
I have a logitech m570 wireless mouse
after 1 patch they did i lost this functionally
how ever via the actionmap.xml file you have you can point to the mouse scroll wheel
here is the code i use to assign the zoom function to my wheel
</action>
-<action name="m_toggle_zoom_mode"><rebind defaultInput="mouse3" index="1" input="mwheel_up" device="keyboard"/><rebind defaultInput="j1_pov_right" index="2" input="j0_pov0_up" device="joystick"/>

and here is the code i use for advanced zoom

</action>
-<action name="m_toggle_4x_zoom_mode"><rebind defaultInput="v" index="0" input="x" device="keyboard"/><rebind defaultInput="" index="1" input="mwheel_down" device="keyboard"/>

once i input these codes in my actionmap.xml file my scroll wheel works just fine even though the game no longer sees it

hope this is helpful

Edited by Mandark Reyoku, 26 October 2013 - 08:20 AM.

#9 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

View Postdraiocht, on 26 October 2013 - 06:46 AM, said:

<Instructions on getting mouse buttons 4 and 5 working

View PostMandark Reyoku, on 26 October 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

<Instructions on binding mouse wheel>

Neither of these are his problem.

SetPoint is causing him problems, he cannot run it.

When you uninstall SetPoint, only buttons that windows natively supports are recognised.

These buttons are:
LMB, RMB, MMB, WheelUp/Down/Left/Right, Side Button 1/2 (Forward/Back)

His mouse has some other buttons apart from that ("Zoom", "AppSwitch") which are NOT native windows buttons for mice.
Without the logitech driver installed, he is unable to remap these functions.

XMouse is a 3rd party driver, but does not support custom buttons such as Zoom and Appswitch found on his mouse.

Without the driver installed, these buttons always send "Virtual Key Codes" - the technique I outlined was to use AutoHotkey to remap these virtual key codes to something that MWO can recognize.

#10 Selvetarm

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

View PostevilC, on 26 October 2013 - 09:41 AM, said:

Neither of these are his problem.

SetPoint is causing him problems, he cannot run it.

When you uninstall SetPoint, only buttons that windows natively supports are recognised.

These buttons are:
LMB, RMB, MMB, WheelUp/Down/Left/Right, Side Button 1/2 (Forward/Back)

His mouse has some other buttons apart from that ("Zoom", "AppSwitch") which are NOT native windows buttons for mice.
Without the logitech driver installed, he is unable to remap these functions.

XMouse is a 3rd party driver, but does not support custom buttons such as Zoom and Appswitch found on his mouse.

Without the driver installed, these buttons always send "Virtual Key Codes" - the technique I outlined was to use AutoHotkey to remap these virtual key codes to something that MWO can recognize.

Alright, I can see how this would work, but I'm unfamiliar with AutoHotKey to the point that I don't understand how to create and run the script that you outlined. Could you elaborate more on the process?

Currently experimenting and trying to figure out what will get the job done, but more information would be helpful.

Thank you

#11 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:48 AM

Install Autohotkey.
Create a text file with an .ahk extension (eg mouse.ahk)
Edit it in a text editor and paste in the code.

Double click mouse.ahk, a green icon with a white H will appear in your system tray - the script is now running.

If you make changes to the script, they will not take effect until you re-run the script.
The easiest way to do that is to right click the H icon and select "Reload This Script".

#12 Selvetarm

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostevilC, on 28 October 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

Install Autohotkey.
Create a text file with an .ahk extension (eg mouse.ahk)
Edit it in a text editor and paste in the code.

Double click mouse.ahk, a green icon with a white H will appear in your system tray - the script is now running.

If you make changes to the script, they will not take effect until you re-run the script.
The easiest way to do that is to right click the H icon and select "Reload This Script".

Okay, Got AHK installed and even set up a script that would display the Virtual Key for both Mouse and Keyboard presses, but I ran into a problem here. Without SetPoint installed, the buttons literally do nothing. They don't even generate a VK as far as I can tell.

Going to try to install setpoint and run as non-admin so that the keys can be mapped, then try to create a script that will detect those keypresses and return the desired effect by running AHK as admin (If possible). Will post more once I've run the test.

#13 Selvetarm

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

Further notes: Even when SetPoint is running, AHK does not record a VK from "Zoom" or "AppSwitch." Logitech customer support has also been less than useless. Looks like I'll just stick to using a default driver for the mouse and retaining use of Mouse 1-5.

#14 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

Sorry man, worked for me :blink:

I forget - is there a mode in SP where you can choose to have application specific profiles or store the profile on the mouse?

If it has the ability to store the profile on the mouse, try uploading a setting to the mouse where those buttons do something, then uninstall setpoint.

When working correctly, and the buttons send appswitch etc - what do they show up as in the sniffer?

Finally, I would ask around on the AHK forums - there are lots of knowledgeable people on there and it is rare for a request for help such as this to go unanswered.

One way or another, it should be possible - the buttons should do *something* without the driver installed - it may not be a VK, but it may well be a ScanCode or generate a USB HID message.

Edited by evilC, 28 October 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#15 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

Oh, I forgot, there is another possible solution.

There is a generic mouse driver available here that may work for you.

Installation could be a bit complex, and I think the software is no longer supported, but it may help.

The setup procedure he describes shows how to debug USB messages coming from your mouse, so this may help you even if his driver doesn't work.

#16 Selvetarm

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

The sniffer I've been using is less than comprehensive, but it should display VKs and Scan Codes. It's just an AHK script that displays which buttons have been pushed using Mouse Hook and Keyboard Hook. The odd thing is that the Zoom and Appswitch buttons display nothing at all. Any suggestions on a better or more comprehensive sniffer?

#17 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

See previous post - the method for setting up the ZWDA driver should be 100% reliable in sniffing all information generated by the mouse clicks because it is dealing with USB HID information - this is the method the hardware uses to talk to the software (Normally SetPoint). The buttons *must* send some signal over the USB bus and this method should be able to detect it.

#18 KodeRed

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:15 AM

I have the answer for you all on this. Really simple. Set the buttons to Generic Button in Setpoint. It is under task and then other and drop down Generic Button.
Works great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users