Skirmish And The Ecm Griefer

189 replies to this topic

#1 Rhent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

Got to admit, putting in a game mode where you can have 1 fast ECM mech vs 5 heavy/assaults and then have no way for the heavies/assaults to win the game and have to wait for a Time Out is possibly a poor thought out game mode.

I've already dealt with this on Skirmish a few times and its not exactly fun being forced to lumber around for 8 minutes while a light mech just runs around and doesn't engage. Skirmish needs this:

In the event there is 1 vs 4+ left, and there has been no weapon damage done in the last 30 seconds, the game automatically ends and the team with the most numbers win. It would prevent the light mech from griefing everyone, including his own team to make them sit out playing the game for 10 minutes. So at the very least, the light mech would have to do some kind of damage every 30 seconds to keep the game going. Eventually he's going to explode.

Of course if Piranha's intent was to grief the playerbase, then by all means keep Skirmish as it currently stands.

#2 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

If people ask for a dumb game mode, you'll get dumb results.

The only thing skirmish mode achieves is to placate those that want to kill, kill, kill.

How long will it be before the only thing you see in that game mode is Heavy and more likely Assaullts only?

#3 Sean von Steinike

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

Why? This is what whiners wanted remember? They didn't want a mechanism to end the match (base cap) and raged when someone did that. Whiners deserve to hunt for that last mech. Don't like it, play assault.

#4 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

The problem is when you hate skirmish, but you don't like playing only Assault or Conquest you can then only play one game mode.

They can fix skirmish if they do what I've outlined. Otherwise, its an example of a game mode that took minimal work to put in and had zero thought in making. Oh wait, I think I described how a certain game team does its implementation. My bad.

#5 Zanathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

Just because a client asks for something doesn't mean you have to implement it identical to what they ask for. You are supposed to give them what they need ...

I suppose it was too difficult to add more conditions to the game hence you're going to stuck with this mode for a long time.

#6 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

View Postslide, on 18 December 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

If people ask for a dumb game mode, you'll get dumb results.

The only thing skirmish mode achieves is to placate those that want to kill, kill, kill.

How long will it be before the only thing you see in that game mode is Heavy and more likely Assaullts only?

Exactly the QQ over I dont want to play base cap give me death match.

and now we get.... (using little pouty voice) but i dont want to hunt down an ECM light..... this suck....

#7 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

Pilot something that goes faster than 60kph?

#8 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

View Postslide, on 18 December 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

And lots of the participation trophy crowd running away and hiding...

Hey man, no big deal... Those who are about to be afraid, California salutes you..!!

#9 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

Just leave it be. Folks aren't actually doing the "run away and hide" griefing that folks suggest.

Because really, why would you? You're wasting your own time just as much as anyone else's... and you gain nothing.

At least by fighting you have a chance to accomplish something.

Folks are so worried about this, and it's not actually happening.. so just don't worry about it. Go play the other modes if you want. Most of the folks playing skirmish are enjoying it immensely.

#10 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:58 PM

So I've dropped 30+ matches on Skirmish and have never seen this. Which means if I'd been playing Assault/Conquest I'd have seen it a few times. I've seen people try to run a couple of times or hide, each time they got caught, mocked and killed.

I'll never go back to Conquest/Assault. Better combat, more tactical, closer matches. MOST of my games have been 10-12 or closer. I've had a couple 12-1s or 12-4s but far fewer. Also fewer assaults, not more. Mobility actually counts now - you can flank, hit and run and focus on being a fast striker mech and not a light-chaser. There's no reason to be a light-chaser other than to kill lights. Now it's about keeping in a safe position near support.

Skirmish rewards mediums. They can focus on fighting, hit and run. They don't have to focus on capping/camping. I had a harder time in my Atlas than I did in my Shadow Hawk. My Tbolt is coming into its own as well. Survival is critical now - glass cannon poptarts can no longer count on the enemy sticking to a few select positions and set up to snipe accordingly. You've got to stay on the move and that makes poptarting a lot tougher.

Clearly your millage may vary but at whatever Elo I'm at it's pretty awesome. Generally chasing down a lone mech has taken about 45 seconds to a minute - less than it would have taken to get on cap and cap out. Though I would say implementing a feature where the losing team on match time-out automatically dies, thus you take the KDR hit regardless. Should be the easiest fix. I've yet to see a need for it but seems like a reasonable precaution for the one-off.

#11 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

Posted Image

#12 ZachKells

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:30 AM

Heres some dangerous thinking get some buddys and have one be a good light pilot. :)...LE GASP

ermagawd its sandpit

Edited by ZachKells, 19 December 2013 - 06:33 AM.

#13 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:59 AM

View PostZachKells, on 19 December 2013 - 06:30 AM, said:

Heres some dangerous thinking get some buddys and have one be a good light pilot. :)...LE GASP

ermagawd its sandpit

shhh.......... -_-

#14 Tenpin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

My K/D ratio and damage scores in my RVN 3L in skirmish mode are HUGE compared to other modes.

If I'm last(ish), I don't hide, I get to a safe distance and tease, luring the remaining folks after me individually.

#15 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:33 AM

Maybe they should add a base to be captured in order to prevent this from happening? It's hilarious that this is exactly why people said a death match only mode would be dumb. :)

#16 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:00 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 19 December 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

Maybe they should add a base to be captured in order to prevent this from happening? It's hilarious that this is exactly why people said a death match only mode would be dumb. :)

dude, it's no use, just share my popcorn with me and watch these threads fester and watch them morph into the new "FotM" threads.....

#17 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:29 AM

Its going to be hilarious when weight balancing comes in. Many of these Assault/Skirmish only players will have no idea what to do without their Assault blob XD

View PostMischiefSC, on 18 December 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

Though I would say implementing a feature where the losing team on match time-out automatically dies, thus you take the KDR hit regardless. Should be the easiest fix. I've yet to see a need for it but seems like a reasonable precaution for the one-off.

Ooo i see an amazing troll build right here.
Gather up a bunch of people and drop into a Skirmish as 12 ECM Spiders, Kill a single 'Mech to unbalance the team in the Spiders favor, then they all run out of range for 30 seconds and win the game, causing 11 'mechs on the other side to explode simultaneously.

Edited by Reitrix, 19 December 2013 - 09:35 AM.

#18 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

If the last mech is hiding just remind them that they can get their match rewards, and not ruin their KDR, if they just quit the match,

#19 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:30 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 18 December 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

MOST of my games have been 10-12 or closer. I've had a couple 12-1s or 12-4s but far fewer.

Hadn't seen a 12-0 ROFLstomp in months. Was involved in 3 during my first 30 skirmish matches. Most of the games seem to be 12-2 (or 2-12) for me.

Assault had gotten to the point for me that probably 50% of matches were at least 12-7, and some significant number (10-15%) were 12-10 or 12-11. Saw exactly 1 (out of 30) Skirmish match that reached the 12-7 plateau.

That said, tactics in Skirmish are definitely different. People do seem to stick together better, and the battles are much more fluid. I've seen several battles where we've rotated around and end up "attacking" our own spawn points. But at least for me, they're much more lopsided than before.

#20 Domoneky

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

Posted Image

66 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 66 guests, 0 anonymous users