The heat glow from damage is too damned high!

16 replies to this topic

#1 zverofaust

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

http://qkme.me/3pqru2

Seriously though, seeing more gameplay footage and screenshots it's become very apparent that the "damage glow" that Mechs become covered in the more damage they take is actually really, really ugly and overdone. For one, several weapons shouldn't do this at all, primarily missiles and autocannons; if anything, they'd leave a black scorch mark. Lasers, PPCs and Gauss can, but the glow should be much, much shorter lived, lasting no more than a second. There were some shots there showing a recently-destroyed Mech looking almost completely covered in this damage glow. I love the effect but it needs to be used much more sparingly.

#2 Attalward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 382 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

+1

#3 KageRyuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

+2

#4 Schtirlitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

Realism is a good reason.
But it is a fictional universe.
And this is a game.
And game should be spectacular.
Thus, we have exaggerated special effects ;)

#5 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

Whether or not it's realistic, I like seeing a visual clue of where I just damaged a mech and whether to continue to concentrate fire there knowing where my shots/lasers are hitting. In some screenshots/videos it doesn't always show targeted mech damage (must be a skill or role that provides more info/breakdown or maybe it's electronics equipped) and the overall damage % that all pilots can see if they hover their reticule over a target long enough isn't adequate. If I know I've just hit them center torso I at least know they've taken damage there whether or not my HUD readout shows it.

#6 Attalward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 382 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:06 AM

Yep the glow is nice is just it is a bit excessive in the videos. I canot find the thread now but there is video from E3, in which an atlas dies and falls to the ground and it looks like a giant orange thing, not really fancy.

View PostCoolant, on 16 June 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

Whether or not it's realistic, I like seeing a visual clue of where I just damaged a mech and whether to continue to concentrate fire there knowing where my shots/lasers are hitting. In some screenshots/videos it doesn't always show targeted mech damage (must be a skill or role that provides more info/breakdown or maybe it's electronics equipped) and the overall damage % that all pilots can see if they hover their reticule over a target long enough isn't adequate. If I know I've just hit them center torso I at least know they've taken damage there whether or not my HUD readout shows it.

With what we ahve seen on glow, after a pair of lasers touch your enemy you wouldnt know anymore if you are htting them on the right spot because the glow just covers everything.
I like the glow i just want it shorter, instead of long glow a very short one like 0,5-1 second. Still espectacular indicating where i hit but not transforming the mech in a light bulb

#7 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:22 AM

+3

#8 Helvetica

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:09 AM

agreed it's a bit distracting. +4

View PostSchtirlitz, on 16 June 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

Realism is a good reason.
But it is a fictional universe.
And this is a game.
And game should be spectacular.
Thus, we have exaggerated special effects :)

Games need to be clear before anything else. Form follows function is the golden rule in any design. If it's not clear waht has happened then the glows have to give way to clear information.

GW2 has the same issue with particle effects. It's just a mess of sparkles!

Edited by Helvetica, 17 June 2012 - 06:12 AM.

#9 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:26 AM

+5

#10 Sesambrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:40 AM

I concur!
I think you were talking about this screenshot:
Posted Image

I mean, a glow-effect from a laser or PPC (maybe even gauss) impact is nice, because that's what those weapons are supposed to cause, they actually heat up the surface they are hitting.
Every weapon causing the same hit-effect, turning the enemy into a replica of the sun on two legs is just wierd...

#11 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:08 AM

agreed, thats too much.... hit indication okay, but that´s just WAY too much there...

#12 RedDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

IIRC the Devs already stated that they will tone it down a bit.

#13 Siilk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:04 AM

Agreed, current damage glow levels are way too high.

#14 Chaos Revolution byme

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

a little bit, but not much.... :/

greetz,
chaos

View PostSesambrot, on 17 June 2012 - 06:40 AM, said:

I concur!
I think you were talking about this screenshot:
Posted Image

I mean, a glow-effect from a laser or PPC (maybe even gauss) impact is nice, because that's what those weapons are supposed to cause, they actually heat up the surface they are hitting.
Every weapon causing the same hit-effect, turning the enemy into a replica of the sun on two legs is just wierd...

allright but this one, yeah!!thats far to much glow... it's like he has spots :D

greetzzz,
chaos

Edited by Chaos Revolution byme, 17 June 2012 - 11:50 AM.

#15 Datum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:31 PM

I would use a glow like that as a reward, something as a little extra "nice shot" for when you REALLY hammer an enemy mech, not just as a register of a hit.

#16 30ft SMURF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:38 PM

Perhaps reserve the extended glow for locations that are about to explode... ie a location that has no armor or has taken massive internal damage. Just a thought.

#17 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:44 AM

That'd look really awesome if it happened whenever you dealt damage, and then faded to black over half a second. So the more damaged a section is, the more blackened and twisted it is, and the brighter it glows when it gets hit again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users