Screen Shake

4 replies to this topic

#1 Joshua Obrien

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 196 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:38 AM

I don't know why , but when I start getting nailed with a stream of either lrms or auto cannon the screen shake makes me sick to my stomach. (Yes I'm one of those people that turn view bobbing or screen shake off in games) Could be motion sickness or a form of epilepsy, I don't know but I think having the ability to turn it off would be great.

#2 Hillslam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

toning it down may be the answer.

right now not all weapons affect the target, so its currently an imbalanced system anyway (for example lasers do nothing at all to impact the pilot - the mech's texture glows thats it).

so imo yes shake deserves to be looked at

#3 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:44 AM

I'm glad someone finally got the nerve to post about this :)

#4 Reitrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

I'd prefer a distortion system rather than crazy cockpit shake. Getting streamed by ballistics should cause your cockpit view of the outside to distort rather than shake like mad.
(Also please do something about the smoke and fire that obstructs your view 100% >_>)

Could easily have the reason as your cockpit 'glass' is more like a monitor than straight up glass you peer through like a window. Game itself supports such a system, since we have Night/heat visions and even just 'zooming' being an enlargement of your display.
As a 'Mech pilot, You'd be looking through the visor of your neurohelmet anyway, which is where the HuD itself comes from.

Heavy impacts could simply be interrupting your visual feeds rather than shaking you around like a leaf, which the gyro should be able to compensate for.
I kinda want to see XL Gyros and such come in, with low screenshake and aim penalties reserved for their drawbacks.

#5 Joshua Obrien

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 196 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like the immersion it brings. Auto cannons aren't that bad and it's very tolerable, but I start getting terrible nausea after taking a steady stream of lrm fire that creates a massive shake.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users