Dire Wolf Builds

155 replies to this topic

#121 SCUD303

• PipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:27 PM

I use 2 X gauss with 6 medium pulse lasers on one of my Dires. With this loadout I score 1000+ damage on a regular basis. I would have liked it to reach speeds of , lets say, 64kph! Then this mech would be an absolute monster

#122 DrRed

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:13 AM

Recently, I started using a very evil build similar to
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e1a7b6aa9707697
(from mechspecs: https://www.mechspec...ac-20-tc1.9462/).
I removed some armor from the legs to add an er m-laser to the s-head, so my firepower stands at 1 ER-Mlaser (great for assists), 3 UAC10, 1 UAC20. With double tapping you can deliver 107 damage in about 1 sec to a single part part and core most mechs instantly. Heat is a problem if you are careless and you will loose your useless left arm often.

#123 Plaguetongue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:16 AM

Direwolf "insta-rECT"

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...555f5988e1f7c56

#124 Plaguetongue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:47 AM

direwolf "Suicide Alpha"

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ba18f882b50e2d3

#125 stalima

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:01 PM

just something i came up with recently, it can deal a lethal 116 damage in the space of a second without overheating

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4100404a66f8116

setup:

1xUAC 20 (4 tons)
2xUAC 10 (5 tons)
6xsmall pulse laser
4x extra heat sink

it is possibly the single most powerful mech possible for punishing peekers with an overwhelming 116 damage full alpha strike when doubleshotting the UACs hitting around 65% heat for this... however, when not using the second shots straight away, it has absoloutley no ghost heat while being to fire off 40 points of AC damage in each volley. The heat override mode (O) can be devastating when going down in a blaze of glory with this amount of firepower.

I think youll all agree, its sensible and practical with close to full armour and 19 DHS and enough ammo to tear over half a team to pieces, its weakness however lies in that low range naturally so make sure you wait for someone to let you know whats around a corner before you go Ramboating around.

#126 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:28 PM

View Poststalima, on 08 July 2015 - 06:01 PM, said:

just something i came up with recently, it can deal a lethal 116 damage in the space of a second without overheating

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4100404a66f8116

setup:

1xUAC 20 (4 tons)
2xUAC 10 (5 tons)
6xsmall pulse laser
4x extra heat sink

it is possibly the single most powerful mech possible for punishing peekers with an overwhelming 116 damage full alpha strike when doubleshotting the UACs hitting around 65% heat for this... however, when not using the second shots straight away, it has absoloutley no ghost heat while being to fire off 40 points of AC damage in each volley. The heat override mode (O) can be devastating when going down in a blaze of glory with this amount of firepower.

I think youll all agree, its sensible and practical with close to full armour and 19 DHS and enough ammo to tear over half a team to pieces, its weakness however lies in that low range naturally so make sure you wait for someone to let you know whats around a corner before you go Ramboating around.

Problem is the range, getting that close to unload...
You likely wont even make it to the brawl.

Dire's can get focused just like any other mech and the hitboxes are nowhere near a Stalker's.

2Gauss, 2LPL(or ERLL) 4ERML can be run asymmetric giving you a deadside. 75-78 alpha...at range.

Just because you can build a big alpha doesnt mean t will work well.
Ive seen 100 dmg alpha Warhawks but it would take VERY good piloting skills to work.

#127 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:32 PM

View PostSquarefox, on 19 December 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

Hello,

I just thought of a few builds for the Dire Wolf chassis, based on http://imgur.com/h1C6WaQ and http://www.sarna.net...Equipment_Lists .

Dire Wolf "Wrecking Ball"

Center Torso of Variant B, Arms of Prime Variant:

4 * Clan Ultra AC/10 (in side torsos and arms)
10 tons of ammunition

1 Clan ER Laser (small) (central torso)

Dire Wolf "Bulldozer"

Center Torso of Variant B, Arms of Prime Variant:

2 * Clan Ultra AC/20 (in side torsos)
10 tons of ammunition

2 Clan ER Laser (large) (in both arms)
6 Clan ER Laser (medium) (in both arms)

1 Clan ER Laser (small) (central torso)

2 additional double heat sinks

Dire Wolf "Thunderstorm"

Center Torso of Variant A, Arms of Prime Variant:

3 * Clan Streak SRM 6 (side torso)
6 tons of ammunition

8 Clan ER Laser (large) (in both arms)

3 additional double heat sinks

---
Thunderstorm Variant will tend to melt itself, but the lasers give you 80 damage on really long range. What do you think?

Regards,
Squarefox

Here are some comp ideas

http://metamechs.com...ides/dire-wolf/

#128 stalima

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:23 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 08 July 2015 - 06:28 PM, said:

Problem is the range, getting that close to unload...
You likely wont even make it to the brawl.

Dire's can get focused just like any other mech and the hitboxes are nowhere near a Stalker's.

2Gauss, 2LPL(or ERLL) 4ERML can be run asymmetric giving you a deadside. 75-78 alpha...at range.

Just because you can build a big alpha doesnt mean t will work well.
Ive seen 100 dmg alpha Warhawks but it would take VERY good piloting skills to work.
thats what your allies are for, if your not getting supported in this mech then your gonna be screwwed over anyway, "getting to the fight" usually isnt an issue either other than in complete steamrolls, in which case the terrain wll generally get in your way anyway.and as it stands it still has a strong range of 540 (594 with range boost) so it is still able to attack at reasonably long ranges with its twin UAC/10

#129 Sniffone

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:03 AM

I tested a lot of different loadouts with the Dire Wolf before. It is always a problem to find a good compromise between ballistic and energy weapons, firepower, range and heat management.

This is my most versatile favorite, i call him "The Ripper": http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c3f165f3deb7c94

#130 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:25 AM

View Poststalima, on 09 July 2015 - 03:23 AM, said:

thats what your allies are for, if your not getting supported in this mech then your gonna be screwwed over anyway, "getting to the fight" usually isnt an issue either other than in complete steamrolls, in which case the terrain wll generally get in your way anyway.and as it stands it still has a strong range of 540 (594 with range boost) so it is still able to attack at reasonably long ranges with its twin UAC/10

You count on allies in a Pug???

#131 stalima

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:47 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 09 July 2015 - 07:25 AM, said:

You count on allies in a Pug???

yes... i mean who doesnt?

this is an assault mech, if your not utilising your allies skills and... "distractions" then your gonna have a bad time,

rule #1 of direwolf: if it aint scouted do not proceed

we all learn this rule the hard way and sometimes end up reminding ourselves of why this is. (seriously u aint fast enough to back out so just dont)

#132 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:06 PM

View Poststalima, on 10 July 2015 - 07:47 PM, said:

yes... i mean who doesnt?

this is an assault mech, if your not utilising your allies skills and... "distractions" then your gonna have a bad time,

rule #1 of direwolf: if it aint scouted do not proceed

we all learn this rule the hard way and sometimes end up reminding ourselves of why this is. (seriously u aint fast enough to back out so just dont)

Thats why i switched from Whale to Warhawk. My 'distractions' have been all too distracted themselves to give me a decent 'feel' for the map and enemy movement.

Ive been subject to more than a few rabbit runs recently and just dont have the steel to use my whale when it seems so crazy.

I totally know Pug team performance is like runs on a roulette wheel...pure chance. I have to really be 'on' to get my Whale-Fu going. Otherwise i need some speed/quickness. Warhawks, Stalkers, Wubshees.

#133 Mister_Bleak

Rookie

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 8 posts
  • Locationalabama

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:57 PM

so i saw a build on youtube the other day and, while ridiculous, i want to try it. here's the issue....i counted 11 ppc's on a direwolf b..... i don't know how he did this. when i remove absolutely everything i can, my tonnage will not allow the 11th. does anybody know what im missing here?

#134 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:11 PM

I run my prime with 2 Gauss, 2xERLLs and 6 ERMLs, with about 7 or 8 tons of Gauss Ammo.

I run the DWF-A with 4 UAC 10s

and the DWF-B with my patented 9xERPPC set up.

#135 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:42 PM

On U-Tube user name Sex,Games and Rock n Roll had a DWF build with 2xGauss+2XLPLs+4xERMLs+50 Gauss ammo.

My DWF has Prime Arms,S Torsos and Head,W CT with 608/ 614 armour. I used 3 ERMLs,2Gauss,3ERLLs and 55 Gauss ammo, TC 2 or 3,modules: Cool Shot 6, Cool Shot 9X9, Gauss Range+10%,ERLL Range +10%, 4X Zoom, and Radar Derp.

I tried this build in one game and got smoked. How do you folks get good for Gauss? A/Cs are easy spray and pray and ER PPC is Fire under the red triangle.

#136 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 05:34 PM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 23 July 2015 - 03:42 PM, said:

On U-Tube user name Sex,Games and Rock n Roll had a DWF build with 2xGauss+2XLPLs+4xERMLs+50 Gauss ammo.

My DWF has Prime Arms,S Torsos and Head,W CT with 608/ 614 armour. I used 3 ERMLs,2Gauss,3ERLLs and 55 Gauss ammo, TC 2 or 3,modules: Cool Shot 6, Cool Shot 9X9, Gauss Range+10%,ERLL Range +10%, 4X Zoom, and Radar Derp.

I tried this build in one game and got smoked. How do you folks get good for Gauss? A/Cs are easy spray and pray and ER PPC is Fire under the red triangle.

2Gauss, 2LPL, 3+ERML is the 'Space Whale'.
Its mid-range fire at its best. 75+ damage alphas.

Position position Position...

Aim for the most debilitating component, if you get the drop on most mediums and lights you can one-shot them.

Skills you need are:
1. Timing the gauss charge with the beams. I have a 3 button setup cuz i has space poor 2 button mouse. Charge and as you let go to fire- shoot lazors. Practice.

2. Dont be first, dont be last...in the blob.

3. If you can see the doritos 'unfolding' you can set up a firing line and area-deny the enemy.

4. Stick with other assualts.

5. Dont expect much support in a Pug, Whales often get left behind. You are not a sniper, you are the Death Star.

6.AC10's are becoming fashionable but remember the facetime required comes at the expense of survivability.
I prefer an asymmetrical dual Gauss to i can deadside for more 'endurance'. Convergence is also a bit better.

View PostIraqiWalker, on 21 July 2015 - 09:11 PM, said:

and the DWF-B with my patented 9xERPPC set up.

I see many youtubers infringing your patent. Better lawyer up on that sh*t!!!

#137 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 July 2015 - 05:51 PM

This is what works best for me.
DWF-PRIME

Slight extra mobility from the S JJ's and plenty of heatsinks. Not quite as damaging without the LPLs, but then again, its not as hot either...

#138 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:42 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 23 July 2015 - 05:34 PM, said:

I see many youtubers infringing your patent. Better lawyer up on that sh*t!!!

It's okay. All I need for my pride is the knowledge that I ran it first. Corroborated by their videos showing that they didn't run it until after wave 1 was out for a long time.

#139 Grammer Pollice

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:02 AM

What do you guys think of this?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3b3bbc1da998657

I'm more of a ranged fighter obviously, but it's still capable of blasting a light that makes one wrong step.

#140 Sniffone

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:53 PM

View PostGrammer Pollice, on 30 July 2015 - 07:02 AM, said:

What do you guys think of this?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3b3bbc1da998657

I'm more of a ranged fighter obviously, but it's still capable of blasting a light that makes one wrong step.

In my opinion long-range support isn't the right way for the Dire, first of all in PUG. You should always stay with main group and its difficult to get in a good long-range position with a slow Dire. And aside the group you will be eaten quickly. Furthermore your built has only low DPS for pushing or a 1v1 against another Dire or King Crab. I think the way to go with the Dire is mid-range support. I like the builts with 5xUAC5, but more i like Dual-Gauss with a combination of ML, MPL or SPL because of pin-point damage. The last weeks i'm going well in PUG with this loadout (2xGauss,5xML,6xSPL):

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...94cf2f65eaed2c6

The Gauss is for long-range, on mid-range i use Gauss+ML and on short-range Gauss+SPL. The heat management for the reached DPS is nice, but don't make the mistake and use the ML and SPL together :D.

But that's my opinion, the Dire is very flexible and everyone has another favorit. Play 20-30 rounds and test your loadout. Then you will see if it works for you or not ;).

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users