Abandon F2P

7 replies to this topic

Poll: F2P (13 member(s) have cast votes)

In an ideal world, which would you prefer?

1. Free-to-play with transactions for additional content (6 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

2. One-time-cost (say around $50) (7 votes [53.85%])

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

How much would you be willing to pay in one transaction to get all current and future content?

1. $0 (2 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

2. $10 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. $20 (2 votes [15.38%])

4. $50 (2 votes [15.38%])

5. $100 (3 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

6. $200 (3 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

7. > $200 (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Fitzbattleaxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

You have a ton of money and you know people are willing to invest in the game. Just do a Kickstarter, develop a single player game that everyone can buy for $50, and let people host their own servers for multiplayer so that you guys don't need to maintain as much infrastructure.

I'm fairly certain that almost no one apart for you actually likes that this game is F2P (though we'll see if the poll supports that), and if you abandon it you might just make a game that people want to play because it's really good, and not just because there are no other mech games on the market.

#2 Blackfire1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,462 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:11 AM

Most of us have already spent Most of what you posted. They simply need to refocus resources on things people want. Not mechs, maps, AND GAMEPLAY MODES THAT ruin the game. I'm looking at your Skirmish mode.

#3 Hythos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • LocationLOS ANGELES, er, I mean Dustball

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:57 AM

I've mentioned before of my thoughts on monthly subscriptions...

*I* had purchased a Gold Mad Cat, not to show that I feel that they are taking the game in the right direction, but rather I wish to continue to support the game... I do realize it does send the wrong message, however; but I use the forums in attempt to get my point across (because some of the messages are occasionally read by PGI).

#4 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:06 AM

Bad idea. Just imagine the shitstorm and refund mayhem such a fundamental change would cause.

#5 Diego Angelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 471 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:17 AM

I would go for true f2p like dota 2 where everyone has acces to same conten as paying players so that way community is not split because they all have same experance playing game.

#6 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:30 AM

I don't mind f2p if they kept had CW.

As it stands there's no reason this is f2p at at all except that you COULD NOT launch the game in this state retail.. well you could but you'd get laughed at.

Oh well, there's always Ride to Hell: 1% for the worst release ever, beating even War Z, but it'd still be ugly.

Edited by Victor Morson, 20 December 2013 - 03:30 AM.

#7 Steven Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:03 AM

They didn't go F2P because they wanted to, they went F2P because that was the only thing they could get funded. Publishers see f2p as viable (because it is). Revenue projections for a traditional box product indicated that this game wasn't viable (that was originally what they wanted to create). If they could have released it on playstation, xbox and PC they might have been able to convince a publisher to let them do it, but somewhat understandably MS wouldn't let them make a PS game with their license. So they went f2p to get the game made and to show that mechwarrior/BT is still a viable franchise (there is a reason why microsoft has been sitting on it).

Its too late now at any rate. They could do something like a 'General's Pack/Lifetime Subscription' basically you pay [$500] (*numbers in parenthesis are just for demonstrative purposes) and you get all of the c-bill versions of mechs unlocked for free (now and future releases) and permanent premium time. Although if they do something like this it would indicate that they are having a poor fiscal quarter and not a good sign for the long team health of the game. After all why would you be willing to give up future income if you don't need to. You only give it up if you think that on average you can get more from that one time purchase rather than a lifetime of income from that player or you need an influx of cash to keep the lights on. That argument is debatable of course but still valid.

#8 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

My guess - and this is purely speculation - is that the free-to-play model was a part of their licensing contract with Microsoft. Reverting on that decision now would likely cause the entire contract to be renegotiated, right at the point where Microsoft just issued them an extension into 2018.

In other words - not going to happen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users