A Suggestion For Balancing Clan Tech

6 replies to this topic

Poll: Balancing Clan Tech (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Could this idea work?

1. Yes (2 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. No (4 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Would need long term testing first in a test server (2 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MrMainiac

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 64 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:36 AM

Ok we all can't wait for clan tech to come out we all know this. My worry (along with the worry of others like the devs) is that it will be overpowered, which is to be expected. Clan tech was always overpowered and favored by many players in previous mechwarrior titles. The devs have about the right idea for balancing it out as far as gameplay is concerned, but I had a thought about things and was thinking about an old system we used to have back in beta that might balance thing more.

For those who aren't aware of it, in lore clan tech was much more expensive. To give you an idea of how much more expensive it was, the devs are relatively spot on with lore for price of an atlas (which for those who don't know its roughly 11mil C-Bills). The price however for a timber wolf was much higer at roughly 27mil C-Bills despite it being 25 tons lighter. Hopefully the devs implement this into the game as well. But something that could be even better would be to reimplement Repair and Rearm (RnR for short).

This game mechanic worked very nicely for the longest time ever during closed beta and i kind of miss it. It gave you a sense of value for your mech and made you be more cautious about how you play. Surviving became more prominent, just like it is in any other game that uses RnR.

Now here's my theory (if you haven't been able to guess where I'm going with all of this). If the devs can tweak the RnR to work with our current economy in the game, and if the devs to make clan tech higher in price than IS tech, it would effectively make repairing clan tech much more expensive and therefore reducing your earnings for using stronger tech.

This could possibly make people reconsider what tech they want to use. With this implemented the decision to use clan tech might not be as advantageous in the long run, especially if you are saving up the credits.

I am open to constructive criticism here, not rage. So please if you're gonna repost be polite, that's all I ask

#2 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:45 AM

Using R&R can be another element for CW but the key is using proper values for Repairs. The concern I have is Repair can be exploited in enough situations to run up an opponent's bills depending on how it's brought back, so that's a big factor that needs to be tested.

Rearm should be fine to bring back in, if the ammo stipend is lowered to 50% or so.

#3 GoManGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 353 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:47 AM

The weapons in MWO are already overpowered enough most mechs get blown away in 1-2 shot by a single opposing mech as it is. I could not imagine clan tech being x5 more powerful than the InnerSphere weapons are right now. It would be 1 shot 1 kill and I hate the quick gameplay now. Mechs were supposed to be brutal war machines that could take tremendous damages before being killed but mechs in MWO are like butter a few shots and they have melted away to death.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/BattleTech

Posted Image

#4 DistantThunder

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:44 AM

Please read these replies in the ASK THE DEVS - VLOG #2

http://mwomercs.com/...94#entry3170394

http://mwomercs.com/...88#entry3170788

#5 boxbox

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 61 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:03 AM

When they get the factions against factions thing implemented they could balance the advanced weaponry systems of clan mechs by increasing the number of opponents they face. say instead of 12v12 you could have 8v12 etc...

#6 Reitrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:15 AM

View Postboxbox, on 22 February 2014 - 01:03 AM, said:

When they get the factions against factions thing implemented they could balance the advanced weaponry systems of clan mechs by increasing the number of opponents they face. say instead of 12v12 you could have 8v12 etc...

And get creamed by a massive firepower deficit. Doesn't matter how much damage your CERPPC does when half your opponents team is poptarting 30 - 40 pinpoint damage. They wouldn't even need to poptart, They'd just swarm you.

If we base it all on Lore, Light 'Mechs certainly weren't running max engines and armor values. a single CERPPC would damn near cripple a Commando for example, But it now takes 3 CERPPC shots just to take the one leg off.

As I've said before, 12 STOCK Battlemechs vs 8 STOCK Clan Omni's would be fine.
12 Merc CUSTOM Battlemechs vs 8 Custom Clan Omnis would result in the Clanners never winning a match ever.

#7 Craig Steele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:20 AM

View PostMrMainiac, on 20 December 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

Ok we all can't wait for clan tech to come out we all know this. My worry (along with the worry of others like the devs) is that it will be overpowered, which is to be expected. Clan tech was always overpowered and favored by many players in previous mechwarrior titles. The devs have about the right idea for balancing it out as far as gameplay is concerned, but I had a thought about things and was thinking about an old system we used to have back in beta that might balance thing more.

For those who aren't aware of it, in lore clan tech was much more expensive. To give you an idea of how much more expensive it was, the devs are relatively spot on with lore for price of an atlas (which for those who don't know its roughly 11mil C-Bills). The price however for a timber wolf was much higer at roughly 27mil C-Bills despite it being 25 tons lighter. Hopefully the devs implement this into the game as well. But something that could be even better would be to reimplement Repair and Rearm (RnR for short).

This game mechanic worked very nicely for the longest time ever during closed beta and i kind of miss it. It gave you a sense of value for your mech and made you be more cautious about how you play. Surviving became more prominent, just like it is in any other game that uses RnR.

Now here's my theory (if you haven't been able to guess where I'm going with all of this). If the devs can tweak the RnR to work with our current economy in the game, and if the devs to make clan tech higher in price than IS tech, it would effectively make repairing clan tech much more expensive and therefore reducing your earnings for using stronger tech.

This could possibly make people reconsider what tech they want to use. With this implemented the decision to use clan tech might not be as advantageous in the long run, especially if you are saving up the credits.

I am open to constructive criticism here, not rage. So please if you're gonna repost be polite, that's all I ask

OK so firstly Clan wasn't that expensive at all, if you were in a Clan faction. So that's going to make it either non canon or very lopsided.

Secondly any mechanism that uses a free 'in game' commodity to promote balance is going to reward the grinders and (comparitivily) penalise the casual gamers. This PGI will wnat to avoid as the casual gamer who logs on for a few hous after work is going to get smashed by the guy who has been grinding all day. Poor game experience and hence a real risk PGI will lose that casual gamer customer.

Its a tough problem to grasp and I can't see a winner myself, but I like that you're thinking about options.

Sorry but I cannot support.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users