Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:25 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 22 December 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

Yes, and kit fox. And adder. But I was referencing specifically non-light mechs from the fifth sentence on. :P

Now i just realized it LOL.

Oh, well, Timberwolf then.
Firepower+armor+speed. And it is not an Assault.

#22 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:18 PM

Umm . . . I just bought a gold Dire Wolf?!?

By the way, Zaya rum is awesome. It only took about 1/4 of the bottle to get me to pull the trigger, LOL! *********.

#23 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:34 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 21 December 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

KF: I know, probably underpowered, too lighlty armored (maybe Clan XLs might help its survavibility) and slow. But it is so cute.. :(

In my household we nicknamed it The Bug during Mech4 due to the shape of the head+antenna :D

#24 Lennex

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:15 PM

Timberwolf - just because you gotta have it
Direwolf - thing seem scary.. I wanna be on the dishing end of scary.
Stormcrow - great medium chassis, I like mediums
Summoner - was always a preference in previous games... don't know how it will work out here

The mechs I wish were available?

Hellbringer - my favorite Clan chassis.
Mad Dog - iconic, and a nice alternative to the TW
Firemoth - how could you not love this light?
Jenner IIC - everyone loves Jenner's right?

#25 Silence Jin Mang

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 170 posts
  • LocationVirginia, america

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:16 AM

So I am getting a gold mech, so I don't get to choose out of the a la carte (or however you spell it).

BUT, if I had to choose, I`d choose the Dire Wolf, Warhawk, Stormcrow, and Summoner.

Reasoning:
Dire Wolf: Because it literally has jenners for hands. I mean have you seen those things, also just the sheer ferocity of the Dire Wolf is phenomenal. I mean two UAC 5`s, 4 large lasers, 4 medium pulse lasers, and a lrm 10 an that's just the primary config. Now imagine B config, three words, SO MUCH DAKKA. It also holds the special place of first assault I ever piloted back when I was a young lad.

Warhawk: Because I`ve always loved the chassis for its excellent long range warfare (I know very un-clan like of me), but I love the prospect of killing a light at a kilometer out, it just makes me so happy :(.

Stormcrow: Two words, B config, enough said. But seriously the thing is a innersphere assault in a 55 ton, and might I say, very sexy medium mech. The hands might be a little off putting at first, but hey, it was my first mech, so I grew to love them.

Summoner: As a Jade Falcon, I love this mech. Firepower, speed, and looks. Plus its sheer versatility in any situation is what makes it, in my opinion, better than the timber wolf. Plus it doesn't draw nearly as much attention and It sticks out from all but the hellbringer in design.

But honestly, other than armor, I think all he clan mechs will make their way into every role and every team. The versatility and firepower they bring is un-ignorable.

#26 Mortedrake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:23 AM

Nova and Kit Fox. From unavalible: STONE RHINO! :( :D :blush:

#27 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:39 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 23 December 2013 - 10:34 PM, said:

In my household we nicknamed it The Bug during Mech4 due to the shape of the head+antenna :(

Posted Image
:D :blush: :lol: :D

#28 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:05 AM

Seriously Kit Fox is perhaps the cutest of mechs.... Right there next to an Urbanmech. Oh god. Horribly cute picture just popped into my head. Getitout!

#29 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:28 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 24 December 2013 - 05:05 AM, said:

Seriously Kit Fox is perhaps the cutest of mechs.... Right there next to an Urbanmech. Oh god. Horribly cute picture just popped into my head. Getitout!

Cuteness: roll a dice when deciding to fire against a Kit Fox. If you get 10 or less, you are not able to fire because it is too cute :)

#30 Kadix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 169 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:53 AM

I am probably going to buy $240 pack for all the extras, but I am waiting until we get closer to release.

The only mechs I really expect to use are the Timber Wolf and Summoner.

I like the play style of the CPLT-C1(F) with 2x LRM15 and 4xMLas, so I will probably like the Timberwolf. Given how similiar the models are, I expect the Timber Wolf to be very fragile with a huge center torso though, and I'm not a fan of the lack of jump jets. A Mad Dog would be better.

In tabletop, I love the Summoner Prime. No heat issues, decent armor, and a diverse weapon set that will make someone say "ouch" at any range. Currently I am running Thunderbolt that's setup as a Summoner Prime. It may not be a top-tier design, but it is fun. Really needs jumpjets though.

Posted Image

#31 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

It's gonna have to be Nova and Summoner for me. Nova/Blackhawk has been in my top 5 ever since MW3, and it solidified as one of my favorites when I pulled three of them in my first three packs of MW:DA. Despite how badass the Timber Wolf looks, I've always liked the Summoner just a little more - especially as I often salvaged several Summoners before I managed one TW in MW3.

I'll probably pick up the Thor pack - Summoner, Nova, Kit Fox. I'd go Puma for the extras but I'm having a hard time convincing myself the extra cash will be worth it. Maybe when they tell us what warhorns do.

#32 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:59 PM

I'm going with the Summoner(Thor) since its my favorite mech.

#33 NovaFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:18 PM

As for assaults, the Warhawk and Dire Wolf are both very strong. The former mounts quad CER-PPCs in it's prime config, which along with a targeting computer make it a tack driver par excellence. It's a brilliant sniper mech that can mix it up in close if need be, but will probably get ruined fairly badly by ghost heat. The C Config carries two clan LPLs in one of the arms instead of PPCs, which are among the most hideously broken weapons stat-wise in the invasion era.

The Dire Wolf can pretty much be built to do anything, at 100 Tons with great armor and space layout, you can mount literally whatever on it. Makes a great ballistic boat, which the Warhawk is less suited for, favoring energy. Both are Omni, so technically this doesn't mean anything, but expect the Dire Wolf to have better balanced HPs compared to the Warhawk energy-boating.

In the heavy class, both the Summoner and the Timber Wolf are great. As a Falcon, I prefer the Summoner, which is a fast, no-frills heavy with jumpjets and a number of very brutal simple-but-effective loadouts. Stock it doesn't mount max armor, however, which may be a problem. The Timber Wolf is an iconic, strong all-rounder multi-role heavy with a split between all weapon types. Strong, but ultimately master-of-none, she tends to have hitbox issues with the giant catapult 'missile ears' being big side torso targets.

The Stormcrow's probably one of my favorite mediums, as a lot of canon configs have silly, highly clanlike 'dueling' setups, Config-B mounts a UAC20 with only 10 rounds of ammo alongside a brace of 6 ER-Medium lasers. More than enough to kill one enemy and probably nothing else, it's great for trials, but not so much the field. The C-config is generally accepted to be more practical with an LPL and LBX-10. Can missile boat too. Meanwhile, the Nova is queer with its lack of torso and massive medium laser fetish, playing a bit like a squat, low-profile HBK-4P.

The Adder's a light that doesn't play like one, carrying double ER-PPCs and generally being a monster in a small package. A "combat light" and the clan approximation of the Jenner, it's on of my favorite lightweights. The Kit Fox is strangely designed with awful armor and speed, but bristles with weapons, primarially ballistic to keep heat under control. Very strange playstyle, but a glass honey badger.

Edit: My favorite Sir-not-appearing-in-this-film is probably the Executioner. A jump-capable 95 tonner assault with MASC, and a PPC/UAC20 loadout makes for a terrifyingly mobile death machine.

Edited by NovaFury, 24 December 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#34 Carnifex125

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

not a fan of the timberwolf, but if i was going to part with that much money, i would go Warhawk and Storm Crow.

they just look so dang cool.

#35 Kaldar Tatrient

• Pip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

I always loved the fact that the adder was pretty much a medium with the statue of a light, so I was thinking about that. But the fact that you will have mechs like the nova that go pretty much as fast as me that can almost insta-core will be a problem. And thats not even taking into account anyone with good aim on a Massakari. I do hope though that the Adder/Puma is viable cause those dual PPCs will be so fun

#36 shameless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

I plan on getting the masakari pack but honestly for Alacarte. i'd get all of them except the kit fox and Adder. unless something changes in how they plan to lock armor and engines, those two mechs will be DOA.

Funny thing, it's $180 Alacarte for the other 6 chassis. so looking at it that way, are the KF and Adder worth 30 bucks each?

We've heard no talk of the targeting computers, MASC, or whether jump jets will be modular for all omnimechs. We all know the Hero Timberwolf will be Aidan Pryde's Timberwolf configuration which was jump capable.

I just cannot make myself pull the trigger yet with how things are in the game and the information they've provided. Ghost heat is going to hur the clans immensely, even if we can finally have an assault with dual AC20/gauss. and I do admit, the Dire Wolf B is going to be extremely fun....

#37 Jakob Knight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

It is instructive to note that all information on these mechs are speculation and based on material the devs have pointedly ignored when it suited them. Granted, it is -likely- the mechs will have similar stats to the originals, but it is quite possible, for instance, that the Timberwolf will be a 55 ton, 64 kph mech with 140 armor, 2 ERLLs and 2 LRM10s, and that is what everyone who has purchased it to date will receive (and will have absolutely no cause to complain as any dispute will arise from their assumptions, not the facts, at time of sale).

By all means, go ahead an buy one of these if you are willing to take a risk, but until firm numbers on these mechs are released, it should be understood that the only firm criterias for determining what Clan mech to choose are the sound of the name and the general appearance of the mech (that is all that is known at this point). Anything else is just wishful thinking at this point in time.

Edited by Jakob Knight, 24 December 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#38 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

The only mechs I'm interested in are the Stormcrow and Adder in this batch. What I REALLY wanted was the Ice Ferret and Executioner. Those two plus the Stormcrow would have been enough for me to actually buy. As is, meh. The selection is very Clan run of the mill with nothing to really excite.

#39 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

View PostJakob Knight, on 24 December 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

It is instructive to note that all information on these mechs are speculation and based on material the devs have pointedly ignored when it suited them. Granted, it is -likely- the mechs will have similar stats to the originals, but it is quite possible, for instance, that the Timberwolf will be a 55 ton, 64 kph mech with 140 armor, 2 ERLLs and 2 LRM10s, and that is what everyone who has purchased it to date will receive (and will have absolutely no cause to complain as any dispute will arise from their assumptions, not the facts, at time of sale).

By all means, go ahead an buy one of these if you are willing to take a risk, but until firm numbers on these mechs are released, it should be understood that the only firm criterias for determining what Clan mech to choose are the sound of the name and the general appearance of the mech (that is all that is known at this point). Anything else is just wishful thinking at this point in time.

Fair enough that there are assumptions being made, but there is a difference between a reasonable assumption and full on off the deep end fringe case unlikeliness. All mechs released until now have been their appropriate weight and loadout. Without fail. On their twitter, they stated that the Clan mechs will keep their stock loadouts. It is a reasonable assumption, therefore, as based on both historical evidence of sticking to the appropriate mech details and from direct statement from PGI on their twitter, that WYSIWYG as far as the Clan pack is concerned.

So, yes, the Warhawk might turn out to be a 35 ton mech. I might, also, spontaneously grow wings and fly away. At this point in time, either assumption is a bit... absurd.

The only area where there is reasonable question is in the mechanics of Clan systems. We have a design philosophy. That is all. It is all disclaimered by being open to a lot of modification between now and release. How exactly clan mechs will be modified, how clan weapons will work, and how clan equipment will function is still up in the air.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 24 December 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#40 Sky Ferrix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Augusta, SC

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:23 PM

I've been a fan of the 3050-era Clan Mechs since I first got my hands on MW2 back in 1996, (I was like 5 yrs old, so looking back I'm surprised I even learned to play.) and I gotta say; I dislike the stereotype that most Mechwarrior fans like the Timberwolf, because it almost makes me feel pretty guilty about liking it so much. Although I can safely say I'd like the Mech even if it wasn't the front-man for pretty much every previous Mechwarrior title.

I can't speak for the tabletop players. I don't really know how popular it was with them, since most TT players seemed pretty mad about how OP the clans were on release.

Anyway, my list would go something like this:

1. TimberWolf- Good mix of weapons, plenty of weight to work with, it's the preferred Mech of my favorite Clan, and it just kind of has that majestic look to it.

2. Summoner- Another flexible heavy Mech, features jumpjets, and is a master of 2nd line support. I always liked the asymmetrical design as well. This is one of my favorite humanoid Mechs, other than the Gargoyle and/or Executioner.

3. KitFox- I really like the looks of the KitFox, but not sure about everything else. Nevertheless, I'd like to try one and figure out how to bring out it's potential.

4. Nova- Crazy amount of ER medium lasers and jumpjets in it's prime variant, which will probably be fun to play with once you get the hang of managing all that heat. Looks pretty great too, even more so now that it actually has a traversable torso.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users