Ditch Elo And Use Tonnage Only

65 replies to this topic

Poll: Ditch Elo in favor of Tonnage only? (76 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you support this suggestion?

1. Yes (35 votes [46.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.05%

2. No (33 votes [43.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.42%

3. Abstain (8 votes [10.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

View PostSkyfaller, on 19 January 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

ELO is a failure. Win/Loss is the stupidest measure to match people that can possible be conceived of in a game. Leave it to PGI to embrace it.

ELO is a hell of a lot better than nothing. Were you around back when we didn't have ELO? I was. New players got eaten alive by vets, and premades annihilated PUGs wholesale.

View PostSkyfaller, on 19 January 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

It should be based on mech class.Aka if one side has 3 assaults the other side must also have 3 assaults.

If one side has an ECM the other side needs to have one too. Max 1 light/medium with ECM and 1 Assault/heavy with ECM per team.

Premades need to be forbidden in PUG matches. Even a 2 man premade can exploit and toss the matchmaker off. For example, two dual AC20 jagers in a premade pop into a team. Pow... that team has a massive brawling firepower advantage over the team that the matchmaker gave a Catapult C4 and a Quickdraw when matching tonnage/mech type.

Speaking of stupid ideas, here's a bunch of them, all from you. The only one of those with any merit is the idea of ECM balancing, which you go on to ruin by instead going for limiting instead of balancing. Balancing by weight class? Are you seriously expecting me to believe that an Awesome is well balanced against a Victor, Highlander, Stalker, or Atlas? Premades forbidden from PUG games? How the hell do you even expect people in premades to play at all if PUGs don't fill in the gaps?

You're unhappy with the results the matchmaker gives you? Hey, great, you are not obligated to like them. But to call it stupid and then suggest ideas that are even worse? Wow, guy, just wow.

#62 Krujiente

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

Personally I feel most the tonnage issues are due to pre-mades tonnage stacking either in light packs or assault packs. I could be wrong. But I feel when drop weight restriction are in it'll be less serious an issue in that regard. That said a new player in a trial highlander and an expert locust player cannot match having two experienced players in a shadow hawk or something similar.

Edited by Krujiente, 19 January 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#63 GutterBoy5

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts
  • LocationAdelaide,south australia

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

We need both ELO so similar experience play against each other,& team tonnage limits so it's not tipped to one side advantage. Doesn't need to be exact tonnage but something within a decent range.

#64 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

It's been proven that Arpad Elo's method of player skill rating is ineffective at accurately estimating individual player skill in a randomly assigned (key words) team-based setting when all it takes into account is how many matches a player has won/loss. This is largely because it was created to match 1 vs 1 (or teams that consistently play together each match), where winning a match is more indicative of a player's (team's) skill.

In Paul's latest CC he debunks the fallacy that there's a huge disparity between Elo scores even in 12-0 stomps...and he admits (I'm paraphrasing) that it's largely dependent on whether or not one team has more groups in it using VOIP.

So, following that line of thinking, it can safely be assumed that there's an inherent problem with how Elo is being assigned to teams if these stomps are happening in "similar" Elo brackets....because there is obviously a huge disparity in skill level not being factored in by Elo scores alone.

Perhaps grouped players should have their Elo scores inflated more drastically so that it becomes more likely that they will only get matched with other groups and high Elo solo players. The fewer solo players playing against grouped players, the better...seeing how VOIP has such a drastic effect on the outcome of a match.

Also, Battle Values or the tonnage of each player's mech would help as well in ensuring more equitable matches.

In other words, more factors have to be taken into consideration when determining a player's/team's Elo score...not just win/loss.

Edited by Bhael Fire, 22 January 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#65 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:57 AM

Tonnage without regard to elo will be way more imbalanced.

#66 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:24 AM

I've been up agains 5 atlas + lots of heavies with a rather light team several times. I think we've won once, but more to enemy teams stupidity rather than our teams God Like play style as they desided to split up and let us kille them one by one. But even then we had a hard time.

Anyways, those games are usually steam rolling, and 4-5 atlases shoulder against shoulder, I't pretty much does not matter how hard you hit them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users