Question On Mech Types

11 replies to this topic

#1 Malpherian

• PipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:45 PM

I'm an Old school mechwarrior Minitures, and Mech assault fan and player, and I've been watching this game for a while but been very leery of actually playing it.

The reasons are mainly that the mechs are not at all in line with the RP of the factions. Theres no belial, uziel, or exo mechs, and for example, everything is common pool, and there doesn't seem to be any difference in a house Kurita mech vs a Jade falcon / House liou Mech, which is just .... Blasphemy.

And none of the houses have their own style to their mechs. none of these mechs even look remotely like anything the houses used, they seem to be simply a common pool group of mechs (pulled from all houses) with no individuality whatsoever.

Wheres the cool looking mechs at, is another reason. All the current mech designs I can and have seen are utilitarian / Blocky in nature. (Was never a fan of this style). Wheres the sweeping symmetry (Like int he design of the Jade Falcon Mechs)? The Quad mechs? The artillery Mechs? where is the uniqueness and variety?

I like the idea of the game, but I'm not really seeing anything that would drag me into it and keep me interested, One thing I've always hated is a game with exceedingly unique factions, tons of lore history, filled with common pool variant vehicles which have no relation to your faction and make you feel like a traitor piloting.

Am I wrong here and when I get in game I will see a lot more then on the videos, and the reviews? Or have I seen this pretty clearly as the way things are?

And

Will this change if it is in fact the way things are currently, because I realize the game is still new?

I am still going to play a bit just too see for myself in game and such, as the reviews are very good, but I would like to know the answers to the above concerns as well.

Thanks
Mal

Edited by Malpherian, 23 December 2013 - 09:47 PM.

#2 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

Are they any specific mechs or mech classes you might be interested in playing?

Have you seen this site yet? http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

#3 Malpherian

• PipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

View PostPraetor Shepard, on 23 December 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

Are they any specific mechs or mech classes you might be interested in playing?

Have you seen this site yet? http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

I mainly played House Kurita, and Jade falcon

But here are some images of mech designs I found very aesthetically pleasing as well as interesting as far as abilities went:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There were some others but they wouldn't post for some reason.

Edited by Malpherian, 23 December 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#4 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

View PostMalpherian, on 23 December 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

Dark Age Images

Dark Ages takes place around 100 years after the setting this game is using....

#5 Malpherian

• PipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:03 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 23 December 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

Dark Ages takes place around 100 years after the setting this game is using....

Ah ok so I have my times confused, alright. Well maybe they'll add some flare or something later to some of them, still could make the faction mechs unique though, I am guessing you can join a faction right? (I have not seen any information in the training room or tutorials on this) Looks mainly like you log in pick a mech and shoot stuff. there doesn't seem to be much meta game or anything. Like conquest in Mechassault 2 for example.

Is there a reason for the fights or is it simply just a quick fix log in pick a mech and shoot people? Whats the greater purpose?

#6 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:07 PM

Quick fix, till community warfare is in which now looks like next winter.

#7 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

View PostMalpherian, on 23 December 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

I am guessing you can join a faction right? (I have not seen any information in the training room or tutorials on this)

Under your profile info in the forum :D

Looks mainly like you log in pick a mech and shoot stuff. there doesn't seem to be much meta game or anything. Like conquest in Mechassault 2 for example.

Is there a reason for the fights or is it simply just a quick fix log in pick a mech and shoot people? Whats the greater purpose?

Community Warefare is coming Soontm Until then, it is basically play because you want to. :(

#8 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:37 PM

I'll limit suggestions to what you can use to get into the action and we are still waiting on Community Warfare, that could address some of you questions once that is out, maybe by next summer/fall?

As for mech aesthetics, there are plenty of good looking mechs to pick from, and we have an open enough customization system to at least make builds with the variants we currently have access to in-game. Such as using a highlander to be a close enough analog to the 95 ton mech you linked earlier for example.

So, starting out you will have access to trial mechs, the Blackjack has a good build and the Dragon is okay, at least to get a feel for the Gauss rifle.

The Highlander build is also okay, but easy to disable due to hardpoint layout, if you get matched against experienced players; and the Spider light is forgiving enough also, just treat the machine guns as lasers to do damage with them .

So, you will need to play at least 25 matches or so to collect a Cadet Bonus that you can use to get straight into an Assault if you want. (WIth the one pic of the 95 tonner with JJs, you could look to the Highlanders, such as the 733C.)

But it would be recommended to try out a medium mech first, such as a Hunchback, Blackjack or Shadow Hawk (or just keep running the Trial Blackjack too) to get a feel for the controls and combat.

You will start with four available Mechbays. And currently you will be earning C-Bills and XP that you can use to unlock mech efficiencies and modules later on.

You can also customize the camo and colors on your mechs, but most options require some MC to purchase them. And colors can be shared on different owned mechs once bought camo has limits.

Hope that's enough food for thought we me rambling.

And as for features, although the dev team is small, they're been doing well enough so far to stick with the game to at least be ready for when CW is up and running.

#9 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:13 AM

Also, the Uziel (and Belial variant) come about 10 years down the line as far as MWO is set. Check sarna.net for mechs built before 3050 to find the current, and possible future, featured chassis.

As far as your emphasised questions...

1 - The game is currently 3 game modes (Conquest, 5-point king-of-the-hill; Assault, deathmatch with base capture; and Skirmish, straight team deathmatch) on random maps, between 24 players per match. I have been waiting since this game was announced for Community Warfare, and it is that metagame that will (read: should) provide that extra depth you're looking for. That isn't to say that the game isn't fun right now... just not as deep as its potential says it can be.

2 - The pace of gameplay change in MWO can be... glacial. PGI have something of a habit of over-promising and under-delivering. However, there is a roadmap here. There is some good stuff coming if you have the patience to wait! (And re: over-promising, I remember seeing a tweet from Russ Bullock that those were worst-case dates and they were aiming to have these features released sooner.)

#10 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:22 AM

Most Inner sphere mechs were not exclusive to a faction. Trade agreements, salvage, and hundreds of years of mech factory production generally existed that allowed most mechs to be used by all of the Inner Sphere. Most battlemechs are hundreds of years old and change hands often.

Clan mechs don't exist in the Inner Sphere yet. Clan mechs will be arriving next June, altohugh some like the Uziel still don't exist in this part of the timeline yet.

Power armor is not a planned feature of MWO, nor are hovercraft, tanks, aircraft, etc. They technically are part of the canon but this game itself is billed as a mech game and not a combined arms game- a businessdecision to focus on iconic Battlemechs.

What MWO does offer is big stompy mech action in bite-sized match-based combat. Dozens of mechs to choose from and lots of customization options. Iconic Battlemechs. (from 3050). The option also exists to join in 4-man or even 12-man teams and play using a third party voice server if you like teamwork or competitive play. If any of that sounds like fun, then play! You shouldn't hold back because mechs aren't restricted by faction or because power armor isn't included.

Be sure to collect and activate some free Premium time to multiply your Cadet Bonus if/when you do start playing (you get a bonus amount of c-bills for each of your first 25 matches, premium time will multiply this bonus)

#11 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:27 AM

there doesn't seem to be much meta game or anything. Like conquest in Mechassault 2 for example.

The meta game aspects of MWO are still in development. The meta game is called "Community Warfare" and will be coming out in stages over the next several months.

Some parts of the community run their own tournaments, leagues, etc which serve to keep folks occupied until CW is implemented for those who desire such things. I personally don't have time to commit to a league but they sure sound like fun :)

#12 Turist0AT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:07 AM

Try MechWarrior Living Legends its 100% free

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users