Hulking Mech Movies/anime?

11 replies to this topic

#1 iBoba Fett

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

I've gone through a ton of threads where people asked for Mech-based animes or movies, but after looking through all the recommendations none of them seemed to be MechWarrior/Hawken/Steel Batallion-styled Mechs. I kind of hate Gundam/Armored Core-style mechs. :/

My problem with them is they move fast, they've got actual hands, and they end up just looking like humans running around in armor. I love the slower mechs that look like big tanks on legs, with guns that are attached to the mech itself.

So, anyone know of ANY movies/shows that are based around MechWarrior-style mechs?

#2 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

You want ridiculous fighting robot?
Try The Big-O

As for Gundam series, I prefer era from Pre-Gundam Wings, like 08th MS Team

Classic Patlabor

http://tvtropes.org/.../RealRobotGenre
Machine looking robot doesn't really fit the idea of "Mecha" in anime, it usually conjures giant suit of amour instead.

Edited by xengk, 11 July 2013 - 10:37 PM.

#3 Ramien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • LocationToledo

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

There's always...

#4 Steve Varayis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 500 posts
  • LocationThe Fresh River City

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:37 AM

http://www.youtube.c...p&v=jZXWHswqCQo

enjoy a full movie!

#5 Khabbi

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

Code Geass: Pretty interesting story line , Mechs walk and run on wheels . Interesting designs

Gurren Lagann: Really hyper show , interesting mechs

Eureka Seven : Not a good show really , Mechs Surf in the air , Only reason to watch it is the kinda crazy , mech pilot on military
enhancement drugs who flies the the really cool mech "TheEND"

#6 superbob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

You may want to check out The Vision of Escaflowne, the piloted robots they use there are for the most part appropriately clumsy, although IIRC they mostly use melee weapons.

Also, check out Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO, these short series give an interesting perspective on giant piloted robots.

#7 iBoba Fett

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestions you guys, though like I said, I prefer MechWarrior/Steel Battalion:Heavy Armor-style mechs, rather than Gundam style. Is there a better word to use for that style? Walking Tank works, but not much ever comes up. Almost all anime based around big robots is Gundam-style rather than what I'm looking for.

Also, it doesn't have to be a movie/anime/etc. I'd even be interested in some books. I'd love a book that's like Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor's story. Basically WW3, with a focus on the vertical tanks.

#8 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:10 AM

You can also try looking up Armored Trooper Votoms, they are more inline with Heavy Gear as large battle amour instead of mechs.
Pacific Rim's Cherno Alpha's Hammer Hand punch is inspired from Votoms' arm punch.

Speaking of Heavy Gear, look up Gear Krieg too.
Not sure is there a novel based on it though.
Posted Image

#9 iBoba Fett

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:57 AM

View Postxengk, on 15 July 2013 - 12:10 AM, said:

You can also try looking up Armored Trooper Votoms, they are more inline with Heavy Gear as large battle amour instead of mechs.
Pacific Rim's Cherno Alpha's Hammer Hand punch is inspired from Votoms' arm punch.

Speaking of Heavy Gear, look up Gear Krieg too.
Not sure is there a novel based on it though.
Posted Image

Thank you! That one looks pretty sweet! I might get Gear Krieg and play it with some friends.

And damn, I want mech figures. I wish I was good at putting together and painting model kits. Unfortunately the only ones I can ever find require assembly or are miniatures for boardgames.

My best option for a Mech figure (that doesn't require assembly/painting) at the moment is the Krote mech statue coming in a few months. Which thankfully looks amazingly sexy.
Posted Image

Edited by iBoba Fett, 15 July 2013 - 02:16 AM.

#10 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:18 AM

View PostiBoba Fett, on 15 July 2013 - 01:57 AM, said:

Thank you! That one looks pretty sweet! I might get Gear Krieg and play it with some friends.

And damn, I want mech figures. I wish I was good at putting together and painting model kits. Unfortunately the only ones I can ever find require assembly or are miniatures for boardgames.

My best option for a Mech figure (that doesn't require assembly/painting) at the moment is the Krote mech statue coming in a few months. Which thankfully looks amazingly sexy.
Posted Image

Dayum diesel punk mech.

Wizkids are still making official mechwarrior figure, they are playable and uses the heroclix system.
http://www.toywiz.co...cwarcolmin.html

#11 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:06 AM

I think "Broken blade" might be something for you then.

The mechs are deffinitely hulking and slow compared to most other series with their 500g turns, twists and millions of missiles magically apearing from nowhere (I mean seriously... sometimes one salvo of missiles from some series take up more volume than the mech which fired them in thei first place, and they seemingly shoot out thousands of these salvos one after the other).

Although, it still is not nearly as ponderous as Mech Warrior.

#12 iBoba Fett

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

View Postxengk, on 15 July 2013 - 03:18 AM, said:

Dayum diesel punk mech.

Wizkids are still making official mechwarrior figure, they are playable and uses the heroclix system.
http://www.toywiz.co...cwarcolmin.html

Do you know how big those are? I've stayed away from them till now because they say "miniatures" and I figure I'll buy them and they'll end up being 2 inches tall. :/

Oh, and thanks for that term! I'm glad to see there is a word for what I like :)

View PostRushin Roulette, on 15 July 2013 - 04:06 AM, said:

I think "Broken blade" might be something for you then.

The mechs are deffinitely hulking and slow compared to most other series with their 500g turns, twists and millions of missiles magically apearing from nowhere (I mean seriously... sometimes one salvo of missiles from some series take up more volume than the mech which fired them in thei first place, and they seemingly shoot out thousands of these salvos one after the other).

Although, it still is not nearly as ponderous as Mech Warrior.

Yeah, that's one of my problems, is that there is no sense of weight or realism with most mech shows/movies. I'll definitely check this one out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users