Madcatz Rat 5 Thumb Scroll

3 replies to this topic

#1 At Least Three Bears

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

So i just got a R.A.T.5 for mwo and i have some issues using the thumb scroll in game. Whenever I try to bind something to the clockwise and anti clockwise thumb scroll it doesn't do anything or it's hardly efficient in game. I can type the letters no problem (bound the thumb to the letter L and K) in chat, but when i try to fire something, or launch an uav it just doesn't do it straight away, i have to scroll for ages and well a press of the keys does the trick faster.

So the letter K and L are fine on the keyboard, i can type (lklklklllkllkl) just fine in chat with the mouse, but when it comes to fire something it just doesn't work...

#2 MungFuSensei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 254 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:21 PM

I have a R.A.T. 7. I suggest you simply forget that the thumb scroll even exists. Nothing supports it.

#3 Axefan

• PipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 45 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

I have the R.A.T.7 and I have N and H bound to the thumb-wheel. I remember having problems mapping other controls, but H and N mapped just fine. Now I can toggle Night or Heat vision without lifting my fingers from the WASD controller!

#4 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:47 AM

There are possibly two things going on here:

Firstly, an normal wheel only generates key down events and not key up events like normal buttons do. I do not know if this would make any difference if you remapped it (ie is it sending the key up event for k and l) but by the sounds of it, this is not your problem.

What I am betting is your problem is that MWO requires a 50ms delay between the key down and key up event to recognize the input. If you are seeing k and l appearing in the chat box, but it does nothing in game, then this is almost certainly your problem.

If your mouse software supports it, add a 50ms delay between the key down and key up event.
If it does not support it, you can do the following:

1) Remap the thumb wheel to [ and ]
2) Install Autohotkey
3) Copy and paste this code into a text file called "wheel.ahk".
SendMode, Event
SetKeyDelay, 0, 50

#IfWinActive ahk_class CryENGINE
~*[::k

~*]::l
#IfWinActive
4) Double click the wheel.ahk file to run it
This code looks for [ and ] being sent by your mouse, and sends k or l (held for the correct length of time).
The #IfWinActive ahk_class CryENGINE bit limits it to only work in MWO, if you wish it to work everywhere, so you can debug, put a semicolon (;) at the start of the two lines beginning #IfWinActive

View PostAxefan, on 02 January 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

I have the R.A.T.7 and I have N and H bound to the thumb-wheel. I remember having problems mapping other controls, but H and N mapped just fine. Now I can toggle Night or Heat vision without lifting my fingers from the WASD controller!

Yes, what I described above only seems to happen with some controls and not others.
eg Controls that fire weapons need to be held for 50ms, where as vision modes do not.

Edited by evilC, 04 January 2014 - 06:52 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users