A Use For Command Console

18 replies to this topic

#1 Varent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWest Coast - United States

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

Command console currently does not do anything.

Weighs 3 tons.

Takes up 1 slot.

Air strike and artillery are becoming super prevalent, maybe even a little overly so.

Make it so you need to have a command console equiped to use air strike and artillery.

Discuss.

#2 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:57 AM

Hey not bad idea. Maybe a minor spin:

Should enable remote use of a whole suite of modules like Artillery and Air Strike. Allow the use of the command map to use teammates' LOS to drop your module attacks. This would allow backline command 'mechs to field LRM and Artillery (as well as C3) to use scout metrics to really harass the enemy while the scout was equipped with advanced sensor range and the like.

#3 -Muta-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 749 posts
  • Locationstill remains a mistery.

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:01 AM

Not every mech is capable of using command console so it wont be fair.

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostMutaroc, on 27 December 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

All mechs are capable of using it, it's just that 3 tons is a larger sacrifice for some mechs than others.

#5 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:10 AM

How is it not fair? Everyone can use a mech that can use a command console. Seems perfectly fair to me. If you choose to use one of the mechs that cant use a command console, thats your choice, but its not an unfair choice, because you couldve chosen a different mech.

Command console should do the following IMO:

1) command console should be required to use artillery, airstrikes, and UAVs

2) command console should come with an integrated TAG for free.

3) command console should give you +25% sensor range and +25% detailed target info (but this bonus shouldnt stack with BAP)

I think that would make it worth the 3 tons and 1 crit slot.

Edited by Khobai, 27 December 2013 - 09:25 AM.

#6 Varent

• 2,393 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:19 AM

all mechs can use it, just not everyone comes with one.

#7 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

I use mine to prop the door open when it gets hot...

#8 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

Maybe. I think something along those lines would be neat.

I might not make the CC a requirement for Air and Artillery Strikes (unless we decide they are OP on their own), but granting you an extra module slot for them, or adding an extra use of these abilities if you have them equipped at all.

#9 Galenit

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

The cc should give you a moduleslot for a consumable without any restriction.

Means a second like mustrums said, but not removing the timer.

Edited by Galenit, 27 December 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#10 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

View PostKhobai, on 27 December 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

How is it not fair? Everyone can use a mech that can use a command console. Seems perfectly fair to me. If you choose to use one of the mechs that cant use a command console, thats your choice, but its not an unfair choice, because you couldve chosen a different mech.

Command console should do the following IMO:

1) command console should be required to use artillery, airstrikes, and UAVs

2) command console should come with an integrated TAG for free.

3) command console should give you +25% sensor range and +25% detailed target info (but this bonus shouldnt stack with BAP)

I think that would make it worth the 3 tons and 1 crit slot.

Previously I included possible Command Console functions in a posting I made about expanded information warfare.

My thoughts were Command consoles could perform a number of command related functions.

1) Mechs with command consoles have additional tools available to them while accessing the tactical map.While viewing the tactical map command consoles grant access to specific data on every known mech on the battlefield.This data includes currently known possition,current condition,variant and loadout.Moving the curser over the mech icon will provide this data on a sidebar.This will allow a commander to determine friendly strength/conditions and enemy possition and strength.

2) Issue movement orders by lance or specific mech.Mouse over the tactical map and mark a specified location as a move to/defend/attack objective.This objective is marked on the tactical map,mini map and is visible on the compass (HUD) of the mech issued the order.Betty will announce when new orders are issued as well as HUD display "Orders Issued" similar to how missile warnings are displayed.Completing an issued move order will grant an XP/C-Bill reward.

3) Request artillery/airstrikes from other mechs in the company.The Command Console user marks a map location as the desired place for the strike,All friendly mechs with currently available strikes are issued a strike request and can on their own discretion use their equiped strike module in support of the order.Completing a strike order will grant XP/C-Bill rewards.

4) Commanders with Command Consoles can mark specific mechs as priority targets.Priority targets will appear on all friendly mechs HUD in special brackets indicating the target is the focus target.

5) Command consoles can display the tactical map as an overlay over the mech's normal HUD.Allowing the pilot access to normal functionality of their mech.Non console users will have the current map display that replaces the field of view with the tactical map.

#11 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

I would like to see it add a second cockpit like in the old lore. Thiw would allow a 13th player to be the commander and could give him tactical tools to help him control the battle and send orders to mechs/lances. If you follow his orders you get bonus rewards. Maybe the commander can use air and arty strikes from a minimap for more precise tactical placement.

#12 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:20 PM

a command console should unify and distribute important information like targeting info.

i would let the command console lock onto all mechs in sensor range. this grants indirect fire to all lrm users.
i think this would make it useful for role warfare. as it is a single mech can only target one mech.

#13 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

I'd be fine with this, it was brought up in other threads discussing the Strikes; but the Command Console (CC) can still be setup to do more and it has some restrictions depending on how closely the devs follow the lore with (CC).

Here is a thread that gives more detail as to what the Command Console did in BattleTech.

Also, here is an excerpt from a BT book that describes the Command Console:
Spoiler

So with MWO being a real-time shooter, I figure that the Command Console can be setup as being required gear for Strikes and that it could also be setup to provide bonuses similar to how BAP provides bonuses.

Then those bonuses can be made to stack with BAP and Module(s) (Target Info Gathering, Sensor Range and so on) bonuses to give a reasonable "initiative" bonus for it's three tons,
and to not necessarily have a 13th Player to be that commander in the CC, which could be too much of a headache for the devs to implement anyway.

Edited by Praetor Shepard, 27 December 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#14 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

View PostFupDup, on 27 December 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

All mechs are capable of using it, it's just that 3 tons is a larger sacrifice for some mechs than others.

So ECM and tag and narc (not every mech supports those hard points) aren't fair?
I'm withholding judgment on the modules since they announced they're completely redoing that whole system although it really is just dumb to me that you have modules like this have been nothing but placeholders for this length of time

#15 Navy Sixes

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:29 PM

I'd love to see them do something with CC, but attaching it to Art n Air Strikes is not the way to go. It would punish players who take lighter mechs and give yet more firepower to the heavier mechs that don't need it.

Edited by Tycho von Gagern, 31 December 2013 - 11:30 PM.

#16 Varent

• 2,393 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:33 PM

View PostTycho von Gagern, on 31 December 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

I'd love to see them do something with CC, but attaching it to Art n Air Strikes is not the way to go. It would punish players who take lighter mechs and give yet more firepower to the heavier mechs that don't need it.

I couldn't possibly disagree more. I fully admit its an opinion but I already feel light mechs are very strong simply due to the power of speed and mobility in this game. I don't see a reason to buff them further. If anything they could use a kick.

#17 stevemac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 415 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWazan Meat Grinder

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:05 AM

How is it not fair ......Its called roll warfare something this game needs.

#18 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,981 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:10 AM

So it would for all intents and purposes be like the Commander interface from BattleField games, such as BF2, 3 and 4.

Giving the operator the ability to uplink to satcom for battlefield information, showing enemy mechs locations, and also give it the ability to launch remote probes (uav?) and direct precision artillery via the Map interface?

Relaying waypoints via company command does need improvement, both in how the commander sets orders, and how players can see and use that information.

Most of what the CC was intended, is occupied by modules atm, they'd have to totally rework that feature of the game.

and oof..
This would really screw up scouts and scouting IMO..
No wonder its taken them this long to implement it.
I'm just going over in my head how many things this 1 item would screw up if its not done just right.

At 3 tons, I guess that fair balance, I would personally put that 3 tons into cooling/armor/speed or firepower tbh.

Your average pub game, the CC sounds pretty pointless, nobody listens to anyone else, and its usually a cluster**** regardles, usually people see 1 target, and just BeeLine to it. Or play chase the light around the map.

I like the Idea of it scrambling targeting though with Ghost targets, that could be incredibly useful as a diversion for scouts as long as its done right.

TBH I was hoping for something simpler, like a Lead indicator for ballistic weapons and PPC's, or even to allow force firing of S-SRMS. Or for body Locational targeting of SSRM and LRM.
Or for relaying all targeting a mech is recieving to other teamates, instead of only a single selected target.
But that all goes against the "original documentation" for what the CC is for.

Edited by Mister D, 20 January 2014 - 01:13 AM.

#19 Stardancer01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 353 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:06 AM

Command console should
1- Double the regeneration rate between air & artillery strikes for your teem
2- Populate the enemy team mech list, with mech type & last seen damage, information provide by any non-ECM member of your team.
3- Auto target all enemy mechs spotted by equipped mech or any mech spotted by any friendly mech with a (role warfare scout module).
4- Equipped mech may not have ECM
5- Command console adds 2 module slots to equipped mech
6- Extend the duration of UAV by 50%
7- A BAP may be integrated for extra tonnage, but no extra space (like heat sinks in a large engine)

Edited by Stardancer01, 20 January 2014 - 04:18 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users