A Note To All You New Pug's And Old Ones To

25 replies to this topic

#21 Viken

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:58 AM

What I've found to be effective in a PUG match is to look at the mechs on my team during the loading screen, then in team chat say something along the lines of "slow team, stick together" or when we get a lance of lights and no mediums, I'll say "lights, please protect your heavies/assaults from other lights" That's it. Basic direction. Something easy to do, said politely. It gives my team something to work with, and when people stick together, they cover each other's backs, and I get a 12-0 or 12-2 game a lot more often than I used to.

Just some easy to read and easy to follow directions said politely. That's all it takes, sometimes.

#22 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:11 AM

View PostViken, on 31 December 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

What I've found to be effective in a PUG match is to look at the mechs on my team during the loading screen, then in team chat say something along the lines of "slow team, stick together" or when we get a lance of lights and no mediums, I'll say "lights, please protect your heavies/assaults from other lights" That's it. Basic direction. Something easy to do, said politely. It gives my team something to work with, and when people stick together, they cover each other's backs, and I get a 12-0 or 12-2 game a lot more often than I used to.

Just some easy to read and easy to follow directions said politely. That's all it takes, sometimes.

Pretty much this.

Although, I can count on one hand the amount of times the ECM lights have stuck around the main blob even when there is no DDC. In that situation, it's sort of their job to provide ECM cover then chase off lights than come nosing around.

It may not be the most fun way to play a light. Running through the enemy lines taking potshots is undoubtedly a rush, but it's also largely pointless. You'll get a few hundred damage (spread all over your target) if you're lucky before an AC40 Jager takes out your legs. Of course, if you're not in an ECM light, but a Jenner or something, then it's time to play squirrel until the heavies on your team can get set up.

Seriously, I spend more time in my ECM mechs now, even when wanting to XP others, purely because 95% of the other light pilots I come across care only for their own damage score/KDR instead of actually winning games.
What they don't realise is that sticking with the blob yields far greater rewards. My Cicada-3M has my highest KDR (2.5) because I spend a great deal of time providing an ECM bubble for the rest of the team. Rarely die in it, and in focus-fire situations, it's only a matter of time before you get kills.

Also, if someone on your team has the balls to push and announces it before hand, support them!

#23 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:02 AM

View PostNRP, on 30 December 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

This is good advice for the tryhards to follow.

I don't get what you are saying. If they are "tryhards" then doesn't that mean they are veteran players (which by the way sounds like you are being insulting towards due to your sore ***) and thus actually have half a clue about how to win? In which case why would they need advice on how most people who take charge are morons?

View PostBroad5ide, on 30 December 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

"I swear your honor! she refused to stop me from killing her, she was asking for it"

Way to miss the point and be a obnoxious dumbass all in one short post.

*edit* grammerz and such

Edited by Nick Makiaveli, 01 January 2014 - 04:03 AM.

#24 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:20 AM

'Tryhards' are people who think they're excellent and experienced veteran players to whom all due respect and consideration should be given and take the game far more seriously than either their skill level or the complexity of the match warrants. I.e. people who try and apply actual military tactics and stratagems to an online stompy robot shooter. Ninety percent of military tactics is military training; if you don't understand that, then you don't understand dung and should stop trying to be Honor flippin' Harrington. Most of the time, if all you've managed to do is to keep the herd more-or-less together and moving in one direction, you've done a fantastic job and don't need to do anything else except shoot.

In short: NRP was advising the tryhards to take the giant stick out of their exhaust ports and stop being tryhards because no one listens to them anyways. Which is highly sound advice that they're clearly not going to take. Oh well. C'est la vie.

Edited by 1453 R, 01 January 2014 - 07:21 AM.

#25 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

PUGs tend to react slower, so I generally give orders/requests a short window of time before I expect to see any movements. If your plan requires pinpoint timing, don't expect it to work.

#26 somenothing

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

too true, but then, if we weren't too shy to join a TS server for random drops, and wouldn't seem silly to be in the living room at home talking to a mic... it might be more fun

View PostBront, on 01 January 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

PUGs tend to react slower, so I generally give orders/requests a short window of time before I expect to see any movements. If your plan requires pinpoint timing, don't expect it to work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users