Map Editing Tools Any Plans?

22 replies to this topic

#1 BillBrooks

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

Is there any plans on releasing map making tools for this game. I think there is some interest in this. I would love to try and make a few. I have made maps for many different games and even one that was included in a expansion pack for a game for a developer. I have never worked with this engine, but I think I could pick it up rather fast. I do know it's a ton of work to get a good map and even more to get a great one, I think the community could weed thru the pile of user maps and the cream would go to the top.Then it could be looked at tweaked and added to the map rotation. More maps in this game will keep the players coming back to play and buy more MC. This seems like a great idea to me get free maps for game so you can make more money. Thoughts?

#2 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:33 PM

No.

It's the Crygen engine, it's free for download. The specifics to work with MWO are unlikely to be released any time soon however.

I agree, they should release the tools to the community, but PGI doesn't seem to think that's a good idea for some reason.

Edited by verybad, 30 December 2013 - 11:37 PM.

#3 EmCeeMendez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:36 PM

SoonTM

#4 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:43 PM

View PostEmCeeMendez, on 30 December 2013 - 11:36 PM, said:

SoonTM

Well, they havn't even said that for those tools, so maybe by 3050 our time.

#5 BillBrooks

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:48 AM

So no real answer yet. Yes you can get the basic tool the SDK at http://mycryengine.com/ this is of little use unless there is some input on how to import the assets needed to make maps for this game.

#6 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:14 AM

View PostBillBrooks, on 31 December 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

So no real answer yet.

The answer is no.

#7 BillBrooks

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:23 AM

The answer is No really how about why and do you know for sure?

#8 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:28 AM

View PostBillBrooks, on 31 December 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

So no real answer yet. Yes you can get the basic tool the SDK at http://mycryengine.com/ this is of little use unless there is some input on how to import the assets needed to make maps for this game.

There isn't anything special about the level set up. You could make levels to like 99% completion and compatible with MWO right now.

The only thing that does anything is the bases, and that's probably just linking an area object to flowgraph.

#9 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:00 AM

Officially the answer is no not soon or maybe or we will see or we would like to

#10 CtrlAltWheee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 610 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

It's a great idea.

#11 JeepStuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostSandpit, on 31 December 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

Officially the answer is no not soon or maybe or we will see or we would like to

This question has come up a few times in ATD and as Sandpit says, the answer was "No, it is not being considered".

#12 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:57 PM

This question has been asked, but not answered, since the early days of closed beta. If the community had access to all the material, we'd be swimming in maps by now, not just playing on 11 maps with 2 variants. There could be monthly contests as to who could create the best new map with MC rewards for the winner, and the community would have far more maps to enjoy.

#13 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

View PostBillBrooks, on 31 December 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

The answer is No really how about why and do you know for sure?

MavRCK: Consider the ease of of use of the map editor for cryengine3 and some of the amazing mech designs by the community -- would you consider inviting the community to offer their maps and mechs for you to use?

A: We’re looking at ways to involve the community in content creation. Right now our focus is on launch, and then we can see.

So no.

http://mwomercs.com/...vs-41-answered/

ElliottHD -Are there any plans to open up a "create a map" system for players?

A: Due to the complexity of designing maps, including the performance and balance requirements, we do not plan support user made levels.

Again no.

http://mwomercs.com/...evs-31-answers/

Shively:You said at PAX that, of course, every planet in the Inner Sphere probably isn't going to be represented (as it'd be too costly and too labor-intensive, most likely). However, in the past couple days, there's been a surge of forum activities from fans, pushing forth the question of user-created content. In order to fill the void, would PGI be willing to consider turning to the community for map creation?

A: We are always looking at ways to find synergies here. Right now the largest impasses are: quality of content, performance of content, distribution of content (remember this game is free to download, yet we still pay for the delivery costs up-front), installation size, rights of content, monetization of content, and tax laws.

No.

http://mwomercs.com/...evs-35-answers/

It's amazing how repetitive the AtDs are. There's only like 30 distinct questions that they answer differently every "month".

View PostHelsbane, on 31 December 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

This question has been asked, but not answered, since the early days of closed beta. If the community had access to all the material, we'd be swimming in maps by now, not just playing on 11 maps with 2 variants. T

**** if the community had access to game files the game would be done.

#14 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

View PostSug, on 31 December 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

So no.

http://mwomercs.com/...vs-41-answered/

Again no.

http://mwomercs.com/...evs-31-answers/

No.

http://mwomercs.com/...evs-35-answers/

It's amazing how repetitive the AtDs are. There's only like 30 distinct questions that they answer differently every "month".

**** if the community had access to game files the game would be done.

They're creative with no but even after all the definitive no answers you see we still have some who think that means maybe lol

And yes if half the people on the forums were able to alter ANYthing in the game?
Ugh just no, don't even want to think about that train wreck

#15 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:12 PM

View PostSandpit, on 31 December 2013 - 07:44 PM, said:

And yes if half the people on the forums were able to alter ANYthing in the game?
Ugh just no, don't even want to think about that train wreck

Probably still can. I haven't done it since the ToS policy went up back in march or whatever about it, but you could alter just about anything besides complied code or anything that was also auth'd on the server, eg being able to export buildings without collision proxies meant you still couldn't walk through them.

#16 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:19 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 31 December 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

Probably still can. I haven't done it since the ToS policy went up back in march or whatever about it, but you could alter just about anything besides complied code or anything that was also auth'd on the server, eg being able to export buildings without collision proxies meant you still couldn't walk through them.

Point being you can't alter MY game play or balancing or maps or mechs

#17 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:20 AM

View PostSandpit, on 01 January 2014 - 12:19 AM, said:

Point being you can't alter MY game play or balancing or maps or mechs

does making your mech glow, coloring in your hitboxes, or making all buildings semi transparent on my screen count?

Edited by Ghogiel, 01 January 2014 - 02:21 AM.

#18 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 01 January 2014 - 02:20 AM, said:

does making your mech glow, coloring in your hitboxes, or making all buildings semi transparent on my screen count?

So, this was the lostech precious people have been talking about?

;)

#19 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 01 January 2014 - 02:20 AM, said:

The serious answer is yes because it gives you or potentially COULD give you an unfair advantage of visual cues for targeting prioritization and such

My answer?
As long as I'm not like pink and green polka dots? Go for it lol

#20 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

I would love it if they allowed players to make their own maps...but for private matches only.

Though, it would be cool if they had monthly map design contests to be voted on by the community to be included in the public rotation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users