My Victor, First 'mech

41 replies to this topic

#1 The Unknown Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

I was lucky enough after my 25 cadet matches and numerous drops since, to buy my first beast and I chose a Victor.

Please take a look at my build, and even though I'm now starved for cbills, any improvement ideas will be duly noted and greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a42382e737420c6

**** edited because I forgot the link, lol! :rolleyes:

Edited by The Unknown Pilot, 31 December 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#2 CenterMass

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

Take a look at this build. It gives you a little range.

VTR-9B

#3 The Unknown Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:01 PM

I've been going to the Testing Grounds to work it out, but every time my Mech gets hot, the entire game crashes to the desktop....WTH?

I play WoW on all Ultra settings, no issues, but getting DC'd every 3 minutes is getting more than frustrating....

#4 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostThe Unknown Pilot, on 31 December 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

I was lucky enough after my 25 cadet matches and numerous drops since, to buy my first beast and I chose a Victor.

Please take a look at my build, and even though I'm now starved for cbills, any improvement ideas will be duly noted and greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a42382e737420c6

**** edited because I forgot the link, lol! :rolleyes:

Along the lines of what you have for AC/20s..

Brawler Upgrade

Remember the PPCs have a minimum, so you want to optimally fight people between 270-90. You can hit out to 500 very competently with this setup, though, giving you some flexibility.

I'd personally drop the Streaks for more heatsinks/a faster engine, but I wanted to have missile slots setup to stay in sync with the original build.

View PostThe Unknown Pilot, on 31 December 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

I've been going to the Testing Grounds to work it out, but every time my Mech gets hot, the entire game crashes to the desktop....WTH?

Testing Grounds is broken anyway for game balance reasons, and it calculates heat and damage wrong. Just avoid it.

#5 Aluminumfoiled

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationErehwon

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

Good first mech choice. You will enjoy the Victors. I drop the AMS due to the Victors speed. I use 4t ammo but if you are using up 5 keep it.

Some of my builds around the AC20:
Your same build with 3-SRM4's. Faster SRM fire rate. Not much difference. Yours w 2xASRM6 is pretty equal.

2LL and 2Streak 2. Chase off lights and cool down SSRM shots. Extra wt for DHS or JJ.

Just 2 LL and max JJ's and DHS. Using mobility as a weapon. Feels a bit lacking but very much fun.

2ML LRM 15. LRM's on a Victor seem a mismatch. But you still keep that punch when you close. High mobility you need for good LRM use.

And of course the 2xPPC. With or without SSRM2's like Vic M's build. I'll dig through the old memory, I think there was another build or 2.

A Victor with a XL360 steps it up even further. Comes alive even more for the stated few KPH increase. Don't worry about this for quite a while though. 350 is just fine. I like that you use 2 JJ. This is the only mech where I try to take at least 2. Wait until you do the K with 6 JJ's. That thing is a blast. Not really worth using all 6 but the fun factor is high.

#6 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

Good choice with the Victor B and the XL350 and 2xJJ. Could be faster with XL360 but it's more of a personal choice.

I strongly suggest you try 2xPPCs with AC/20 and nothing else. That mech is a beast, and it does not run that hot if you have enough heat sinks. The crucial thing is that this setup lets you fight from longer ranges. The Victor is a bit fragile for short range.

Suggest getting rid of AMS unless you want to protect team mates. With your ability to fly and fast rotate, the LRMs are not as much of a problem.

Lastly I recommend 3:1 front rear armor split. Some people might even go 4:1 or more but that's a little risky. With the ability to jump rotate to do quick 90 degree or 180 degree turns you're not very vulnerable from the rear.

What ever you do, since you have an XL engine, you must protect your STs. Thus, you have to use your big arms as shields. Fire your weapons and torso twist immediately. This is why I don't like lasers on this mech. They take too long to do their full damage, exposing your CT, STs to enemy fire. See:

Fire - twist - fire - twist. Use jumpjets to rapidly switch directions.

Also you might visit this guy's channel:

http://www.twitch.tv/jagerxii

He's really good and will answer a lot of questions. Lots of other people streaming their MWO matches on twitch. Very helpful for new people to see how the more experienced people play:

http://www.twitch.tv...arrior%20Online

#7 The Unknown Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

Still makes no sense....in testing, as soon as my heat hits 100%, the game crashes to desktop, even after turning everything way down on settings....I play numerous video game on much higher settings and requirements, no issues, only MWO.

So glad I haven't given these people any money if it's out of "beta" this long and still unplayable.

I toyed with this AC/2 X 3 build my buddy likes (cost all my remaining cbills!) but I spent 1/2 my ammo downing the Atlas with it's reduce armor...ran cool, but kinda pointless.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...688ac1116390d3f

Is this the PPC / mini-Highlander build you guys are suggesting?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2d4b0cc362e47a6

I would drop a ton of ammo for a DHS & 42% cooling?

Edited by The Unknown Pilot, 31 December 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#8 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

Use the repair function or reinstall.

#9 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...adcbea7331f85d2

Runs warmer...but no worries about 90m minimum range with standard PPCs.

This is the mini-highlander build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...44e824dae44d92d

Edited by Gyrok, 31 December 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#10 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostThe Unknown Pilot, on 31 December 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

Is this the PPC / mini-Highlander build you guys are suggesting?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2d4b0cc362e47a6

Yep pretty much.

I would drop a ton of ammo for a DHS & 42% cooling?

Exactly.

#11 The Unknown Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

View Postjuxstapo, on 31 December 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

Use the repair function or reinstall.

Did the repair option...this time the game only crashed after leaving a match, lol!

I happened to have 2 PPC's that I have no idea when or how I afforded them....even with a 5th ton of ammo instead of a DHS, this thing literally ATE every mech in the Testing Grounds!

Muahahahaha! :rolleyes:

Thanks guys! Really despised missiles anywqays.

#12 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

View PostGyrok, on 31 December 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...adcbea7331f85d2

Runs warmer...but no worries about 90m minimum range with standard PPCs.

This is the mini-highlander build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...44e824dae44d92d

Not so sure about the ER PPCs. They kill your firing rate, which is what ultimately holds back your enemies. Also, you're 78 kph mech that can fly. It's hard for even lights to stay close enough to nerf your PPCs. Even if they enemy gets within 90m, you've got the AC/20 still.

#13 The Unknown Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 31 December 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

Not so sure about the ER PPCs. They kill your firing rate, which is what ultimately holds back your enemies. Also, you're 78 kph mech that can fly. It's hard for even lights to stay close enough to nerf your PPCs. Even if they enemy gets within 90m, you've got the AC/20 still.

Really amazed me just how damned close 90m is when staring down an Atlas, even one with no pilot at all!

#14 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostThe Unknown Pilot, on 31 December 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

Really amazed me just how damned close 90m is when staring down an Atlas, even one with no pilot at all!

Yes, and if it's my Atlas-DDC you'll be partaking in a 66 pt alpha directly to the CT shortly there-after. :rolleyes:

AS7-D-DC

#15 The Unknown Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 31 December 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

Yes, and if it's my Atlas-DDC you'll be partaking in a 66 pt alpha directly to the CT shortly there-after. :rolleyes:

AS7-D-DC

If I'm that bloody close to your moobs, I deserve to be a tiger striped corpse!

For a cooler running mech & lots better range, would anyone ever consider using this build with an AC/10 & 2 PPCs?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...89a3067489e6832

Edited by The Unknown Pilot, 31 December 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#16 ValdnadHartagga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationBehind enemy lines

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:44 PM

I was joking when I put this together:

VTR-9B Drac Shocker

But first match out, 500+ damage! I just wandered into furballs, parked myself next to the slowest enemy 'Mech, and sanded away. I chewed through two DDCs in a row, starting at the arm and working all the way to the creamy nougat. Misery? Just get in the blind spot and it's toast. It has some problems in ranged combat (did not fare well on Tourmaline), but it's turning out to be fun as hell. Plus my heavy hitters are in the left arm, which people don't expect.

#17 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:53 PM

View PostThe Unknown Pilot, on 31 December 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

For a cooler running mech & lots better range, would anyone ever consider using this build with an AC/10 & 2 PPCs?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...89a3067489e6832

You really want the AC20 on the arm. Alternatively, 2xUAC5 (with a smaller engine). If you are going to downgrade anything, do it to the energy arm (2xLL, typically).

Edited by Modo44, 01 January 2014 - 10:54 PM.

#18 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:58 PM

The Original build VTR-9S "Drop Bomb" is pretty solid for brawling purposes, it does require some teamwork and knowledge of engagement and enemy movements both before and during engagements. But a small brawling lance can quickly decapitate enemy unit's and sow confusion on the battlefield.

The VTR-9B "Mini-HGN" version I have found are lackluster due to the pensive heat build up form the AC20 use alongside the PPC's, preferring either the Guass (bigger engine) or Dual AC5 (slower engine). I might actually even look back into a 380XL DS that I had running initially for trials in the new environment.

But I say field test what you like, and find a style suitable to your playstyle, I'm aggressive but tactical. Thus preference for some solid punch at range but still have the ability to deliver killing blows in the kill window of 270m.

#19 The Unknown Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:08 AM

Apostal, I never miss one of your videos, so I know your mad skill in any mech! ;)

If you were stuck solo pugging with a 350 XL, what build meets those standards? I too, want to be able to crack a windshield past 450 meters, but blow off balls inside 300.

Thanks!

*** woulda posted sooner, but spent 2 days in the hospital, lol. (all is fine now!)

Edited by The Unknown Pilot, 03 January 2014 - 10:09 AM.

#20 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

The 350XL can be dropped in most builds... for the 9B specifically:

VTR-9B "Rocker Coaster" - In essence group firing the AC's into any target, with SSRM's + BAP for anti light work and the mediums to help some pressure. Works alright in most games, can run hot if you use everything too often, but relatively solid.

Basic Poptart Builds:
VTR-9B "Traditional"
VTR-9B "Big Stick"
VTR-9B "Re-born"
VTR-9B "Hitman"

There are many variations on the poptart builds, and basically you just need to find something to your taste and tweak it for your gameplay style. I know a few players who won't drop any close range weapons like ASRM or SSRM's into a poptart build like I do, I prefer real backup weapons for close in jump jet dancing, mainly because of cool running AC's at high heat levels.

There are other builds like the triple AC2 builds, or I used to use a guass, LRM's and ML on the 9k with a large 360XL quite effectively staying at the 270-300m mark to whittle and pick apart opponents. The problem is you can't go past a solid build PPC+AC build at present, it gives you the alpha, the mobility and the punch on the battlefield.

These are suggestions, always find a build that fit's your gameplay style, using others builds as a base to work off.

Edited by Apostal, 03 January 2014 - 04:04 PM.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users