Prevent The Dead From Chating With The Living.

29 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the dead be able to talk to the living? (49 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the dead be able to talk to the living?

1. Yes. (28 votes [57.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. No. (21 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Tankno

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:22 AM

View PostExarch Levin, on 02 January 2014 - 12:21 AM, said:

It makes sense to me for "dead" mechs to talk to the living. For all the reasons already, with the addition of the "fact" that mechwarriors eject when their mechs die, so they're not really dead. ;)

I don't like the idea of disabling global chat for the "deceased" as many of the matches I've had, to second what was said already, have a sort of camaraderie going amongst the "dead" from both sides as we talk about loadouts and grouping up and the like. I'd rather the game not devolve into some anti-social experience where I'd be best off dropping the game at death each and every time.

Okay, I'll bite. What do you mean by, "with the addition of the "fact" that mechwarriors eject when their mechs die," I certainly have never seen any pilot eject.

As for the anti-social comment I have this to say. This game is about having fun, via the competitive nature of people wanting to win. It is not based solely on the social aspect. While I can't say I haven't enjoyed talking with my fellow players, I must say that this is not the core of the gameplay.

Now as for the part where you would be better of dropping the game at death I must disagree again. There is much a player can learn from watching a more experienced player fight. What I mean is that green pilots will likely die faster than veteran pilots. As a result this give players the ability to, "watch and learn"

#22 Abivard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

bad idea, will allow anyone on voice or even irc to still communicate and will only punish solo players.

#23 Tankno

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

View PostAbivard, on 02 January 2014 - 12:49 PM, said:

bad idea, will allow anyone on voice or even irc to still communicate and will only punish solo players.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand what you are talking about. Dead players will still be able to communicate with each other. Just not the living. Also, you need to explain you point further as I'm not sure what it is..

#24 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

I seldom see the dead giving up the coordinates of their teammates to the enemy, but I agree it's lame when it does happen.

Perhaps a compromise is to only allow the dead to talk to their own team, at least until the game is over? So basically, before the game starts and as long as you're alive during the game, you have access to Lance chat, Team chat, and Global chat. When you're dead (and the game isn't over), you only have access to Lance chat and Team chat.

Edit:
I see someone already made this suggestion.

Edited by NRP, 02 January 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#25 Axeman1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 323 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

This game doesn't even have lobbies and your bitching about communication? ;)

#26 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

View PostAbivard, on 02 January 2014 - 12:49 PM, said:

Which comes back to the point I made earlier in this thread - how often are members of one team (especially in a "PUG match") going to be on the same TeamSpeak room as members of the opposing team?

Because that is the problem - defeated players from one team "birddogging" (that is, "ratting out" their comrades locations and movements to members of the opposing team).
It was enough of a problem that an at-the-time/now-former moderator had to specifically point out that it is a penalizable offense.

Thus, the proposal that global chat should be disabled for "dead" players, while team-chat and lance-chat remain active; without the ability to communicate with the other team once defeated (that is, without being able to use global chat once "dead"), birddogging via the in-game chat box becomes impossible.

Granted, one could still do it via 3rd party applications (like TeamSpeak/Mumble/Skype/etc) for both PUGs and "premades"... but, it requires being connected to at least some of the members of the opposing team, and at that point one must assume that the traitor was most likely doing the same thing (that is, relaying the team's plans and locations to the opposition) while they were "alive", anyway. And, unfortunately, something like that is largely outside of PGI's control (that is, unless they decide to integrate one of those invasive "anti-cheat tools" (like GameGuard, PunkBuster, etc) and set it to not allow TeamSpeak/Mumble/Skype/etc to run concurrently with MWO - and I suspect that we all know how well that would go over with this playerbase ;)).

#27 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

I actually like that players on the side of that one {Dezgra} who runs to a far corner and powers down in skirmish mode can give out his coordinates to the other team.

No one should have to put up with one side having to spend the last 8 minutes of a match on a map like Alpine looking in vane for the last spider who is taunting you like everyone is 5 years old playing marco polo. All the while he is powered down somewhere...too scared to actually fight or too worried about stats to realize if he has to power down, he's not good at all.

Just saying...

PGI cannot reasonably police the type who grief like that, so we must police our own...

-my 2 cents.

(also, a big thank you to those who "rat" on the twits that pull such shenanigans)

EDIT: If it isn't abundantly clear...I am against dividing comms between alive and dead...just to clarify.

Edited by Gyrok, 02 January 2014 - 05:48 PM.

#28 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

Until ingame voice is implemented (which will probably still take a while) absolutely not. Will only give the people that refuse to use TS or form groups even more reason to complain about the " evil premade pugstompahz".

#29 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:52 AM

View PostZerberus, on 02 January 2014 - 06:12 PM, said:

Until ingame voice is implemented (which will probably still take a while) absolutely not. Will only give the people that refuse to use TS or form groups even more reason to complain about the " evil premade pugstompahz".

The issue is less about whether "dead" players should be unable to talk to "living" players in general (which, for the record, they should be - as noted previously, for purposes including mentorship of less-experienced teammates), but the fact that "dead" players who are also poor sports can and do still betray their still-"living" teammates once they've "had their fun (or not)" and been knocked out of the competition.

Unless said dead players on one team are in the same TS room as any players ("living" or "dead") on the other team (which is unlikely to happen, especially in PUGs, without a very large number of coordinated individuals), TS(/Mumble/Skype/etc) cannot be used reliably (or, really, at all) for "birddogging" purposes.

Thus, if the ability for the "dead" players to communicate with the other team through in-game means - including the current chat-box and any eventual in-game VOIP - were removed/disallowed while simultaneously still allowing the "dead" players to communicate with their teammates, "birddogging" would become impossible (or so impractical as to be effectively so).
Thus, the proposal that all-chat (white text) be disabled upon a player's in-game "death" while team-chat (blue text) and lance-chat (green text) remain active regardless of "live"/"dead" status - with the same/equivalent being done for in-game VOIP if/when it is implemented.

#30 Spadio

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMD

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

I have yet to see honorable tactics revealed in this manner. If the location of disconnects or powered down mechs are offered up that is fine. (Unless it is a powered down mech winning Conquest that is)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users