12 replies to this topic

#1 Steel Claws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 665 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

I think it is wrong to make a shoulder mounted rack part of the torso it is attached to. Yes it should transfer some damage into t he torso to which It's attached but should not destroy the torso wen it goes. This is true of all torso mounted weapons pods. It should be considered a special point like it was in MW4.

Before you say it makes no difference please consider the case of he Thunderbolt. That missile rack is way too easy to hit. Then think of the Clan mechs coming. If left the way things are now - the Timberwolf a Thor are going to be VERY easy to kill. They will have an XL engine and all someone has to do is shoot those big LRM racks sticking over the hill.

Edited by Steel Claws, 01 January 2014 - 10:08 PM.

#2 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:10 PM

Clan XL engines only take up 2 slots and will not destroy the mech after losing a torso.

Edited by Spheroid, 01 January 2014 - 10:11 PM.

#3 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

View PostSteel Claws, on 01 January 2014 - 10:08 PM, said:

I think it is wrong to make a shoulder mounted rack part of the torso it is attached to. Yes it should transfer some damage into t he torso to which It's attached but should not destroy the torso wen it goes. This is true of all torso mounted weapons pods. It should be considered a special point like it was in MW4.

Before you say it makes no difference please consider the case of he Thunderbolt. That missile rack is way too easy to hit. Then think of the Clan mechs coming. If left the way things are now - the Timberwolf a Thor are going to be VERY easy to kill. They will have an XL engine and all someone has to do is shoot those big LRM racks sticking over the hill.

Besides I rather have it as part of the torso rather than some complicated part that requires you to lose armor elsewhere to protect that spot; so either you have it part of the ST (which never really hurt the Thunderbolt IHO) or you have this fragile special launcher and a weakened ST. Also the Timber Wolf is going to be plenty deadly without worrying about the launchers; just look at Alt. Configuration D. 2 CERPPCs and 4 CSSRM6s; brutal at just about any range especially up close, and it is just a stock configuration.

#4 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 01 January 2014 - 10:10 PM, said:

Clan XL engines only take up 2 slots and will not destroy the mech after losing a torso.

...though they will go splode when both side torsos are destroyed, right?

#5 Whatzituyah

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,236 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn a dark corner waiting to alpha strike his victim.

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

There is one thing I want to point out I really want to see the weapons that are mounted like the Mad Cat or Timber wolf just get counted as a separate part of the mech so it only gets damaged and destroyed. But that dos not mean that that if the torso is destroyed the weapon mounted dos not get destroyed either no they both go along with the arm.

#6 zztophat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:22 AM

View PostAlcom Isst, on 01 January 2014 - 10:41 PM, said:

...though they will go splode when both side torsos are destroyed, right?

Yes, but in that case it's just faster to core them.

#7 Mr 144

• 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:10 AM

I would like my mech technicians to simply unbolt the racks and remove them if none of the hardpoints are being used.

#8 OneEyed Jack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:35 AM

View PostWhatzituyah, on 01 January 2014 - 10:45 PM, said:

There is one thing I want to point out I really want to see the weapons that are mounted like the Mad Cat or Timber wolf just get counted as a separate part of the mech so it only gets damaged and destroyed. But that dos not mean that that if the torso is destroyed the weapon mounted dos not get destroyed either no they both go along with the arm.

Yes, because what Clan mechs really need is free armor.

#9 zztophat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:48 AM

View PostMr 144, on 02 January 2014 - 02:10 AM, said:

I would like my mech technicians to simply unbolt the racks and remove them if none of the hardpoints are being used.

Posted Image

#10 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:50 AM

View PostSteel Claws, on 01 January 2014 - 10:08 PM, said:

There is that hideously ugly misshapen thor with no missile rack.

#11 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:12 AM

The way the Madcat is designed, I can't help but to think that hitting the pod will spread damage between both torso and arm since the pods seems to be partially attached to the arm and not just the torso. And it would kinda fix "Easy to hit side torso" syndrome if hitting the pods won't deal as much damage to it, sure your arm will blow up instead, but losing the torso blows the arm off anyway, so yeah.

#12 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:13 AM

View PostOneEyed Jack, on 02 January 2014 - 02:35 AM, said:

Yes, because what Clan mechs really need is free armor.

Actually, with the severely restricted Omnimech customization, most of them DO need free armor if they hope to stand a chance against min-maxed IS mechs like the Victor.

With that being said, there are also some versions of the separate hitbox proposal that divides the pre-existing internal structure and armor between body parts rather than just giving a bonus.

#13 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:00 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 01 January 2014 - 10:10 PM, said:

Although true, we need to see if that's actually going to be implemented.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users