- - - - -

Question About Heatsinks In Torsos

12 replies to this topic

#1 Blue47

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:21 AM

hi,

will equipping heatsinks in my sidetorsos give them more "healthpoints"?
each mech has a certain amount of structure-hitpoints, but i also read that internal parts like heatsinks have hitpoints as well and can be destroyed by crits (or even normal hits?).

im not sure whether it would help to stick some on my sidetorsos or if it would be useless for helping me to survive longer.

thanks in advance for answers :lol:

#2 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:24 AM

They can decrease the chance that a torso weapon will be taken out quickly but they don't increase the internal structure of the torso.

#3 TimePeriod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 548 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationI'm out gardening, back in 10.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:29 AM

View PostBilbo, on 02 January 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

They can decrease the chance that a torso weapon will be taken out quickly but they don't increase the internal structure of the torso.

Better to loose a heatsink then loose a weapon.

#4 Blue47

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:52 AM

is it possible to crit the engine?

#5 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

View PostBlue47, on 02 January 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

No. You can kill a mech with an XL engine by blowing off the side torsos but actual engine crits are not in the game yet.

#6 Kanajashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 317 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

It is not possible to critical hit the engine. In table top a mech was killed after 3 critical hits on the engine, which did lead to some situations where a lucky volley would take down a mech out of nowhere. however that would be kinda sucky for a video game, It would not be enjoyable for you to die from a couple lucky shots and explode while still having lots of internal health left.

However it is possible to critical hit the items on your mech. When the enemy shot hits your mech it will decide based on a random chance if there is going to be a critical hit and how many (1-3). If there is, It will then randomly decide which internal slot will get it by giving each slot the same % chance and rolling the dice. Finally applying damage to the components that were hit and if there was enough, destroying the component.

For example:

My right torso on my Illya Muromets has 1 AC5 and 1 Medium laser which occupy a total of 5 slots. This gives the medium laser a 1/5 chance to be hit and my AC5 a 4/5 chance.

An AC2 round hits my unarmoured side torso, it determines that it will crit 3 times (lucky shot :lol:). The first round rolls and hits my AC5, it deals 2 damage to my AC5 and now it is at 8 health (10 base - 2). The second shot again hits the AC5 and lowers its health down to 6. The last shot rolls and hits my medium laser, it deals 2 damage and again lowers its health to 8. If it lowered the health to 0 the component would be destroyed

This can lead to the strategy of "Crit Padding". When you need to protect a sensitive component such as an ECM, it is adviseable to have as many crits filled in that section as possible. this will give the component you want to protect a lower chance to recieve that critical hit by presenting different targets. Its because of this that while It may not seem logical, if you have to store ammo in a torso, might as well store it all there. Since every time there is a hit, the damage will most likely go too a different set of ammo and not always the same one.

#7 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

The internal armor or "hitpoints" of a side torso is determined by 1/2 the total armor allocated by you.

Example: side torso (front and rear i think) 50, internal 25.

Weapons and equipment all have their own hit points. These do not add to your internal armor, but are used to determine if they get destroyed if the exposed torso (stripped off its armor) is shot at.

#8 Blue47

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

thank you all, that clears up something for me ;)

#9 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:44 PM

View Postdragnier1, on 02 January 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

The internal armor or "hitpoints" of a side torso is determined by 1/2 the total armor allocated by you.

Example: side torso (front and rear i think) 50, internal 25.

Actually I think it's half the maximum armor allowed in that slot. So, using your example, you could have 10 armor, 25 internal, or 45 armor, 25 internal.

#10 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 02 January 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

Actually I think it's half the maximum armor allowed in that slot. So, using your example, you could have 10 armor, 25 internal, or 45 armor, 25 internal.

correct. And since max armor is determined by mech tonnage, all mechs of the same tonnage have the same internal structure health points.

#11 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

View PostBlue47, on 02 January 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

Actually, it is - you get "Heat Sink Destroyed" messages.

I know* this from having lost heat sinks in mechs I know only have their 10 in-engine sinks.

*Could be wrong, as in all things.

#12 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

View PostKraven Kor, on 03 January 2014 - 12:57 PM, said:

Actually, it is - you get "Heat Sink Destroyed" messages.

I know* this from having lost heat sinks in mechs I know only have their 10 in-engine sinks.

*Could be wrong, as in all things.

Hmm haven't noticed this, but will have to keep an eye out for it....

#13 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

Yeah, you can loose the extra heat sinks (beyond 10) that are in the engine, but afaik, not the base 10

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users