- - - - -

Paying For Mc

21 replies to this topic

#1 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

I am considering spending real cash £ for the first time to buy some Mech bays for the Flea's when they are released. My question concerns secure payment.

Has anyone had any problems after giving their account details to PGI?

This may sound a little over couscous, but please understand I come from an era when we used to make a one off payment in cash or using Delta over the counter at Game or the Electronics Boutique for a game. The very thought of any form of transaction over the Internet seriously worry's me; I work in IT.

#2 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

To add to what Marack said, I could not afford the Overlord package myself, so I traded house-work for my sister paying for it - if she had had her information stolen, I probably would have heard about it by now - as I have not, I would assume our transaction was safe.

On the other hand, like Marack, we did it through Paypal and the Firefox browser.

#3 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

Although I've never paid MC before (or anything to this game), I want to add that Flea's likely won't be in the game soon at all.

#4 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

View Postluxebo, on 02 January 2014 - 10:17 PM, said:

Although I've never paid MC before (or anything to this game), I want to add that Flea's likely won't be in the game soon at all.

Naturally for me, his statement about the flea is what prompted me to actually post, yet when posting I left it out >.<

+1 for lux

#5 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

Its safe - forumz would be burning if there was any incident... Usual rulez apply... Wait for the transaction to finish let's your credit cards charges you double for golden mech...

Support is also quick so if people can get refunds then
Rest assured they will act on billing inconsistencies...

#6 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

PGI is as safe as any company. Plus if you use a credit card, then you are covered against loss etc just like any other transaction.

Plus Federal law requires they notify customers if they have a data breach and I'm sure word would've gotten around.

But hey, get a reloadable card if you are worried about your identity etc. Lastly, I also work in IT, and security is a hobby of mine, so you are probably like me, overly paranoid since you hear about things that most people don't.

#7 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:44 PM

DON'T DO IT!

#8 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:47 PM

Paysafe? My only Problem is that I always loose around 2 Euro and the max is 100....;) So I m on the safe side. Nobody gets any Information..I don t want to provide.

#9 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:29 PM

I use Firefox and the no script add on and have no issues.

It goes without saying, don't "save" your card for later use.

#10 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:23 AM

You can use paypal which is pretty much the safest online payment.

You can also buy a pre-paid mastercard or an ultimategame points card at retail, using one of those means your actual credit card never goes online(but it's somewhat less efficient).

#11 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:48 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 02 January 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

Federal

Remember, they're Canadian. I'm sure they have a similar ruling, but US Federal laws don't apply to them.

#12 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:40 AM

I've only done it through paypal, since I already use it for other things (GoG.com, Steam)

#13 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:55 AM

View PostOppresor, on 02 January 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

I am considering spending real cash £ for the first time to buy some Mech bays for the Flea's when they are released. My question concerns secure payment.

Has anyone had any problems after giving their account details to PGI?

This may sound a little over couscous, but please understand I come from an era when we used to make a one off payment in cash or using Delta over the counter at Game or the Electronics Boutique for a game. The very thought of any form of transaction over the Internet seriously worry's me; I work in IT.

The best thing you use is the pre-paid Paysafe Card.

You don't have to worry about credit cards, your personal data, bank accounts and similar things. You just use those 16 numbers of your pre-paid card, that's all.

#14 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:02 AM

paypal is safe, used it for years ( over 15k spent to date between ebay and online software ) bought stuff from the US UK china and localy never a problem yet.

don't be too parnoid

Edited by sneeking, 03 January 2014 - 07:07 AM.

#15 Thoummim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 273 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

Well one of my friend got his information stolen because of mwo, sometimes it just happen. We're on the internet remember, its always kinda safe but never truly is, pretty much like using your car.

#16 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

View PostThoummim, on 03 January 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

Well one of my friend got his information stolen because of mwo, sometimes it just happen. We're on the internet remember, its always kinda safe but never truly is, pretty much like using your car.

Was it MWO's fault, or did he use his cc online to buy some dodgy game time card?

#17 Corison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

I doubt it was MWO fault, odds are their computer was already at risk from something else. Suggest they be more careful with their systems. :P

#18 Turist0AT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

How safe it is depends on your bank and stuff. With my bank you can get a virtual account with a virtual card, you place money on it and you pay or heaving you money pool locked at a different account that is not tied to your credit card. So that your savings and stuff are never in contact with interwebs or creditcard itself. When you want to pay or shop, just transfer the amount you need.
You should never walk around with a creditcard filled with savings in case you get robbet. And never pay with a account filled with stisch on the internet becasue you information can be compromised a long time ago without you knowing it.

Or use paypal.

Edited by Turist0AT, 05 January 2014 - 08:15 AM.

#19 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,676 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:48 AM

Information can get hacked in several different ways. The most successful is social engineering which isn't even a technical hack at all.

#20 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:59 AM

Just use the money transfer option. It does not require giving any personal info to PGI or the transfer broker.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users