12 replies to this topic

#1 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:53 PM

Hello,

I realise this has probably been asked numerous times (five Victor threads on the first page...), but being hesitant to hijack someone else's thread, here's mine.

VTR-DS

To say it before anyone suggests it, I'm not looking for the typical 2x AC5, 2x PPC or AC20, 2x PPC builds. The 9S and 9B cover those bases for me.

What I'm looking for is a build that allows me decent coverage for most situations. It's incredibly frustrating to run a brawler build and end up on Alpine or Caustic. Likewise, I'm not nearly good enough to brawl effectively with weapons that have minimum range*.

*Sidenote, I actually run my AC20 VTR with two LPulse for this reason. I'm noticeably more effective in it, even if the weapon in general is poor. Naturally, as my skills improve or I (for some strange reason) get drafted in to pilot an Assault in a 12 man with my unit (if any of you read this, for the love of all you hold dear, do not cast me in an Assault in competitive drops).

So, what do you think of the above build?
It's damn hot, but the PPC isn't going to be used once the brawl starts unless I'm vulturing on the outside. Only using the torso mounted weapons actually has fairly decent heat efficiency.

The general build idea is to hang back and poptart/snipe during that phase of the game, then wade in and go to town in the brawl as a force multiplier. Sounds great in my head, but I know how "franken-mechs" are viewed around here...

Perhaps an ERPPC would be better fo this? Heat permitting, it will enable an extra punch in close quarters, and at range (where it will be more extensively used, not keen on uber hot weapons in a brawl, for obvious reasons) it has better synergy with the AC5's.

(Ammo distribution and armour allocation is subject to change after play tests).

#2 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:06 AM

Way too hot to be effective.

I would drop a JJ, a ton of AC5 ammo, half ton of armor off the legs, the SRM6 to an SRM4, and the PPC for a Large laser, and cram some heat sinks in there. Could drop the artemis too, but that is a quality upgrade.

Edited by Roughneck45, 03 January 2014 - 10:09 AM.

#3 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

You need fewer weapon groups, and more heatsinks. 2xAC5 is popular because it enables easy ammo and heat management. This would give you 3 clear weapon groups (both arms, lasers, missiles) with somewhat better cooling. Be aware that the MLs remain purely decorative unless you must alphastrike, or have lost the PPC arm.

#4 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

Modo, there's no Artemis on those SRM's, deal breaker for me. I like being able to hit the component I want.
Also, for the record, I can reliably deal with four weapon groups (five, if you count Alpha strike, but I dont). Two on my mouse for the arms, then two on the keyboard for Torso mounted weapons that I wont be turning my legs while firing, anyway. Same control scheme I run on Hunchback's, and it does me pretty well, when I dont hit the wrong button for "Target" >.>

Thanks for the advice, Roughneck, tried this build and just did a drop on Terra Therma. Tore through an Atlas and a Victor, only overheating on the final Alpha strike that took out the VTR's RT. You were quite correct, with the PPC this was much to hot. I did as you said, dropped one JJ, one ton of AC5 ammo and filled the space with HS. Works a treat now.

Just need to work on my slow-mech-fu.

Edited by Lunatech, 03 January 2014 - 10:33 AM.

#5 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

So ditch the MLs entirely. You are not required to fill all hardpoints every time. ;)

#6 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

View PostModo44, on 03 January 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

So ditch the MLs entirely. You are not required to fill all hardpoints every time. :D

True, but they come in surprisingly handy when facehugging mechs. The SRM's are toasty on hotter maps, so I've just been using the AC5's in a brawl, adding missiles/Mlas to taste as and when heat permits.

And damnit, I like filling hardpoints! :D

Also, would you suggest an Ultra and a regular AC5 as I have, or two regular AC5's?
Again, this is my desire to fill every slot showing up, but having the spread the ammo about is rather annoying. I could run 150 rounds of regular AC5 ammo for less tonnage, and be unlikely to run out in most games.

Something like this. Has decent sustained DPS, and crit padding for my SRM launchers (which I've been losing often).

Playtesting new mechs is so damn expensive.

Edited by Lunatech, 03 January 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#7 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

Yeah, that should work. You can probably take even less AC5 ammo. Depending on how you play it, more missiles or another jump jet could be desirable.

Another idea would be to take AMS out of my build. Again, it is a matter of efficiency -- the AC5 and PPC projectiles line up very well for quick pinpoint damage.

Edited by Modo44, 03 January 2014 - 11:01 AM.

#8 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

View PostModo44, on 03 January 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

Yeah, that should work. You can probably take even less AC5 ammo. Depending on how you play it, more missiles or another jump jet could be desirable.

Another idea would be to take AMS out of my build. Again, it is a matter of efficiency -- the AC5 and PPC projectiles line up very well for quick pinpoint damage.

Curse you. That looks very effective. Need to finish another four matches in this, then I will try that build and report back.

I tend not to run AMS, most of the guys in my unit do and cover is OP. Although I feel like a fool when a Kintaro LRM5-spam's me to death while I'm in the open, it's rare.

Also yeah, 150 rounds is 75 shots. That's quite a lot, and I'm unlikely to use it all unless the whole game is a whack-a-mole-fest.

Edited by Lunatech, 03 January 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#9 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

View PostLunatech, on 03 January 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

Also, would you suggest an Ultra and a regular AC5 as I have, or two regular AC5's?
Again, this is my desire to fill every slot showing up, but having the spread the ammo about is rather annoying. I could run 150 rounds of regular AC5 ammo for less tonnage, and be unlikely to run out in most games.

Preference call there. Both work extremely well.

4 tons of ammo will be enough for two AC5's, unless your team is making you carry way harder than you should be.

This could be fun too, but I'm not sure you would enjoy it with the info you have given us so far.
DRAGON SLAYER

Edited by Roughneck45, 03 January 2014 - 01:37 PM.

#10 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 03 January 2014 - 01:33 PM, said:

Preference call there. Both work extremely well.

4 tons of ammo will be enough for two AC5's, unless your team is making you carry way harder than you should be.

Unlikely for me in an Assault, to be honest. I'm lucky to break 500 damage in slow, priority target mechs. Not my play style, truly.

But, at the same time, I've been dropping in the build you suggested (LL and more HS instead of the PPC, and ASRM10) and doing fairly well.

I'm really impressed with how well Victor's can brawl with XL engines. I always get legged or CT cored before my ST's go, which is encouraging.

Once again, thanks for the advice, and I'll be trying the UAC + AC5/double AC5 combo to see which is more effective for me.

Not having to split the ammo, thus being able to take more heatsinks will probably swing it towards 2x AC5 though. I don't need to run 6t of Ammo for such a build, whereas with the UAC and AC5 I can't do with less than 90 rounds for each weapon.

I tend to find UAC's work better on their own, or in pairs. Not mixed with another weapon, but that may be my limited experience with such builds talking.

#11 ShortBusBully

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 49 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

I have a Slayer and our play styles maybe different but I have changed loadouts a bunch and do the best (avg 500 a match) with 2 srm 6, 3 ml, ac/10 or LBX, no artemis and my HE is around 1.22. Ditch the XL and your survivability will increase.

#12 Bartholomew bartholomew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

I have been giving two AC2's, An ERlarge laser, and 2 small pulse lasers with an AMS and a standard engine a run. Been fairly good so far.

Really miss the guass/PPC combo. But they nerfed that pretty quick.

Edited by Bartholomew bartholomew, 06 January 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#13 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

View PostLunatech, on 02 January 2014 - 10:53 PM, said:

Hello,

I realise this has probably been asked numerous times (five Victor threads on the first page...), but being hesitant to hijack someone else's thread, here's mine.

VTR-DS

To say it before anyone suggests it, I'm not looking for the typical 2x AC5, 2x PPC or AC20, 2x PPC builds. The 9S and 9B cover those bases for me.

What I'm looking for is a build that allows me decent coverage for most situations. It's incredibly frustrating to run a brawler build and end up on Alpine or Caustic. Likewise, I'm not nearly good enough to brawl effectively with weapons that have minimum range*.

*Sidenote, I actually run my AC20 VTR with two LPulse for this reason. I'm noticeably more effective in it, even if the weapon in general is poor. Naturally, as my skills improve or I (for some strange reason) get drafted in to pilot an Assault in a 12 man with my unit (if any of you read this, for the love of all you hold dear, do not cast me in an Assault in competitive drops).

So, what do you think of the above build?
It's damn hot, but the PPC isn't going to be used once the brawl starts unless I'm vulturing on the outside. Only using the torso mounted weapons actually has fairly decent heat efficiency.

The general build idea is to hang back and poptart/snipe during that phase of the game, then wade in and go to town in the brawl as a force multiplier. Sounds great in my head, but I know how "franken-mechs" are viewed around here...

Perhaps an ERPPC would be better fo this? Heat permitting, it will enable an extra punch in close quarters, and at range (where it will be more extensively used, not keen on uber hot weapons in a brawl, for obvious reasons) it has better synergy with the AC5's.

This build works an absolute treat for me: WASP - x2 AC/5, ERPPC, x2 MedLas, XL350, x4 JJ.

KDR on the mech fluctuating between 2.3 and 3 due to some unfortunate deaths - but usually get quite a few rounds with 4/5 kills.Usually average 500-600 damage.

Having the JJ adds an element of fun that allows you to tactically evade high damage alpha's, even doing little aerial twirls to protect your torso can make a difference. Finding torso is cored more than the LT/RT so the XL is not an issue.

Effective at ALL ranges and against ALL mechs (as long as your smart when encountering dual AC/20 and quad AC/5 builds). Taken out a nice number of Assaults with this baby :P

And to answer your question - yes, try out the ERPPC :D

Edited by White Bear 84, 06 January 2014 - 05:32 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users