39 replies to this topic

#21 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:55 PM

You could also be shooting 2 ERPPC at him (20 damage) vs him shooting you with upwards of 5ERLL back (45 damage). He'll break ghost heat and his heat will spike to 80%+, but at that range, he can just duck and cool down before doing it again. Even if he then goes to firing groups of a 3+2, his initial 45 damage vs your 20 meant he has already out-traded you off the start.

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 07 December 2016 - 09:56 PM.

#22 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:36 PM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 07 December 2016 - 09:55 PM, said:

You could also be shooting 2 ERPPC at him (20 damage) vs him shooting you with upwards of 5ERLL back (45 damage). He'll break ghost heat and his heat will spike to 80%+, but at that range, he can just duck and cool down before doing it again. Even if he then goes to firing groups of a 3+2, his initial 45 damage vs your 20 meant he has already out-traded you off the start.

The ERL mech has gotta know the SHC is there first - rarely the case if the SHC pilot is paying attention and properly sniping/harassing.

View Postfuzzylogic01, on 07 December 2016 - 08:32 PM, said:

I don't waste space on AMS because I try to stay at 1200 distance.
I've been having a blast lately using a shadowcat with 2xErPPCs, ECM, active probe, tageting computer 1, ERPPC cooldown 5, ER PPC range 5.(Haven't unlocked extra module yet)

So at 1200m you are doing negligible damage for a start. Really pointless to be firing at that range constantly. 1000m is much more effective and most maps that's the most usually you can get anyway.

Next is CAP & TC1 in place of 2HS? Bad choice, too hot on a build that needs all the cooling it can. The TC1 doesn't increase velocity enough to really help. If you can't land a ERPPC shot, the TC really isn't helping. It's not like a WHK where you get a ERPPC velocity bonus and STACK it with a TC3/4 and really get value out of it.

My point is you don't need either. ECM to counter if you have a mech on you. Otherwise the CAP serves no purpose really as target info is largely irrelevant if your team is targeting and relaying information.

Just some feedback to improve the build IMO. 2 more DHS over a 5min+ fight in a SHC makes a hell of a difference given it's already a build that struggles to dissipate heat fast, plus with the use of JJ etc.

#23 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:13 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 07 December 2016 - 10:36 PM, said:

The ERL mech has gotta know the SHC is there first - rarely the case if the SHC pilot is paying attention and properly sniping/harassing.

So at 1200m you are doing negligible damage for a start. Really pointless to be firing at that range constantly. 1000m is much more effective and most maps that's the most usually you can get anyway.

Next is CAP & TC1 in place of 2HS? Bad choice, too hot on a build that needs all the cooling it can. The TC1 doesn't increase velocity enough to really help. If you can't land a ERPPC shot, the TC really isn't helping. It's not like a WHK where you get a ERPPC velocity bonus and STACK it with a TC3/4 and really get value out of it.

My point is you don't need either. ECM to counter if you have a mech on you. Otherwise the CAP serves no purpose really as target info is largely irrelevant if your team is targeting and relaying information.

Just some feedback to improve the build IMO. 2 more DHS over a 5min+ fight in a SHC makes a hell of a difference given it's already a build that struggles to dissipate heat fast, plus with the use of JJ etc.

He's in a Cataphract (the OP), so no shadowcat for him

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 07 December 2016 - 11:15 PM.

#24 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:28 AM

I run a pair of ERLL on my CTF-1X as well as the 4x zoom module and find it a great combination for reaching out and putting some burn on enemies at range. As has been mentioned, if you miss with the PPC, you're SOL; however, you can rake you opponent with the laser and still do at least some damage rather than none. Further, the ERLL has several pros over the PPC: lighter in weight, generates less heat, has no minimum range (ERPPC doesn't, either) and does solid damage by comparison. These things, to me, make the ERLL a far better option.

You don't want to rely too heavily on the zoom, either. Once the distance is closed, use your standard stepped zoom should you find it necessary.

#25 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:28 AM

If you're running the CTF-3D and not poptarting, you should be running one of these three builds:

CTF-3D, gauss 3x ERLL
CTF-3D, AC10 3x ERLL
CTF-3D, 2x UAC5 2x ERLL

You should play your IS mechs according to their quirks to get the most mileage. And since the 3D variant has a -20% beam duration and a -30% jam chance for the UACs, meaning your UACs will jam less and your ERLLs will be 1sec in duration instead of 1.25s.

Edited by Saint Scarlett Johan, 08 December 2016 - 12:29 AM.

#26 Nerokar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:11 AM

You did not say how you play. If you stand there and try to stare him down with your 2x ER PPCs while your enemy does the same with his (up to 5 ER LL), he will have the advanage and win. If you do not move, he can concentrate his fire at you. Neglacing the best effect of ER PPCs: Shoot and Hide. Your dmg is frontloaded. You can shoot and reverse to cover, while your ER LL counterpart have to stay there and wait for his weapons to deal the DMG.
If you try to win a sniper duell with 2xER PPCs agains a ER LL Boat (not a great idea for a new player): Aim at him: shoot and wiggle wiggle wiggle while moving back to cover. This can make a big difference.

While your PPCs make concentrated Pinpoint dmg (20 DMG to ONE body part of the enemy everytime you hit), the ER LL Boat has to focus his fire for ~1 second if alphastriking or for ~2,5 seconds(near to eternity) without ghostheat to do his full 45 DMG. If you wiggle(left->right->left->right) you spread his dmg over your whole armor (5 components at best) AND if you are fast enought at aim and hide, some part of his ER LL beam will run in air, because you move back to cover quick enough...

Edited by Nerokar, 08 December 2016 - 01:31 AM.

#27 Akhri Mala

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:01 AM

wow you guys necroed a 2 year old thread for this...

#28 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:27 AM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 07 December 2016 - 11:13 PM, said:

He's in a Cataphract (the OP), so no shadowcat for him

Oh so the thread from 2014? lol

I was replying to the most current post :P

#29 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:33 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 08 December 2016 - 02:27 AM, said:

Oh so the thread from 2014? lol

I was replying to the most current post Posted Image

haha, i didn't even realize this was a necro thread, touche

#30 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:39 AM

haha yeah I didn't either till I looked before I replied :D

#31 Nerokar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:14 AM

View PostAkhri Mala, on 08 December 2016 - 02:01 AM, said:

wow you guys necroed a 2 year old thread for this...

I necroed? :-(

Feel dirty now...

#32 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:06 AM

View PostNerokar, on 08 December 2016 - 03:14 AM, said:

I necroed? :-(

Feel dirty now...

Fuzzy did the first necro to it.

Heh.
The facts still hold true, though, and thus can be useful for new players.

#33 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:26 PM

I wasn't aware of a necro, either. Oh well. Looks like it's back in the now again, so no harm continuing to discuss it.

#34 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:17 AM

Where in stats do you get average damage?

I wish in a match or at least while in the testing grounds they would show damage like they do at the Academy with the turrets. Although I do not believe it is 100% correct. If you get abut 330 meters from a turret in just the right spot it explains that turrets are there to test weapon ranges and damage. It is hard to find that sweet spot where the window comes up

Posted Image

I remember when I started after maybe a month someone showed me where the stats were. My LRM accuracy was around 25% and that was a wake-up call.

My ER PPC was not much better at something like 32% (it is now 49%)

But my ER LL was at 84% (now down to 76% I think because I'm pulling away more to not take damage)

I still love the Clan ER LL because I feel like I do not miss using it. Even against a Light at 600 meters I can "paint" and follow him with damage. And I can see the ER LL hitting the enemy Mech and I'm often not sure if the ER PPC hit or not.

However, because of the long duration of the Clan ER LL I now use it less or use twin mounts of it. That way the damage given is worth the damage taken.

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 09 December 2016 - 08:24 AM.

#35 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:37 AM

WHERE DO YOU FIND YOUR STATS THAT INCLUDE AVERAGE DAMAGE?

THANKS

#36 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:58 AM

Profile button in the bar up top :)

#37 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:41 AM

View PostB0oN, on 10 December 2016 - 07:58 AM, said:

Profile button in the bar up top Posted Image

I've looked there and I cannot find this. Maybe they have changed the stats, This picture is from a 2 year old post.

Posted Image

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 10 December 2016 - 08:43 AM.

#38 Van mw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationWar zone

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:51 AM

https://mwomercs.com...ats?type=weapon

#39 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:15 AM

View PostVan mw, on 10 December 2016 - 08:51 AM, said:

I can find that...But where is "average damage per Hit"? (please do not make me do math)

Posted Image

#40 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:30 AM

OK, I did "math" and my brain hurts.

OMFG, I just figured out my damage using LRMs......Wow, LRM wake up call number two. If I had t pay for LRM ammo, it would be extra stupid.

I could do more damage with a SL or a decent size rock....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users