Suggestions For Lights & Art/air Strikes

5 replies to this topic

#1 Seddrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 247 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

Due to various patches, lights are less unique and more flimsy than previously. I used to play them almost all the time. Now... eh. Also, people spam the artillery & air strikes. I've seen many rounds where one after another after another even up to 5 or 6 strikes occur back to back. These strikes are practically instant and so close together its just ridiculous.

Even in an advanced tech situation, it would take time for a designator to be responded to and the artillery to fall or jets to fly by. Thus I suggest (1) at least a small increase in the time between activation and the strike AND (2) that only lights be able to use art/air strikes, and (3) that there be a global cool down on strikes of at least 30 seconds to the team that called it. This would prevent the spamming of strikes, and be a trade off for teams having to bring a light to utilize a strike.

I know many would complain, but honestly, as it is, its just absurd to get 5 strikes back to back. It totally takes away from the fight/battle/skill of aiming, etc.

Bring back individual pilot skill to the game. Please reduce the mob and spam tendencies.

Thanks.

Edited by Seddrik, 02 January 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#2 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

maybe air strikes and artillery strikes have to use a specific hard point?, or maybe you have to add them to a slot, and they take up 4 slots.....or maybe you have to use something like the command console before you can use the strikes.....i don't know, not the best suggestions, I'm just brainstorming..........

#3 Axeman1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 323 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

The short of it:

-PGI makes money off strikes
-They won't hurt their own revenue for no reason.
-Hitting a light mech with a strike is like winning the lottery, they are nearly immune to strikes

Just be aware of your surroundings, speed increases survivability, strikes are fine.

#4 Glenfiddich15Yr

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

My thought for air and artillery is that instead of selling strikes, they should give a player an artillery or airstrike every six matches. The type would be random, but a player could build up no more than three at a time and if they are full of airstrikes, then they only receive artillery strikes. Having them one every six matches would lead to an average of two strikes per side per match (so long as things stay 12 vs 12). Of course, some matches will have more and some will have less. But it seems like a logical way to solve this problem.

#5 Exarch Levin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:37 PM

The strikes are great equalizers for lighter mechs or outnumbered mechs. They don't need any further restrictions as there are only 4 module slots maximum and there's no shortage of nifty modules to use. Not to mention that the grouping of the shells/bombs is pretty bad unless you use the "accuracy modules" (which would take up all 4 slots to use both), the designator is a gargantuan plume of pink smoke so obvious that even a blind man can see it and it takes 4 seconds from the designator being deployed to the strike.

If your mech can't get out of the way, it is probably heavy enough to withstand the strike. I've hit Atlases with the brunt of the attack and they act as if I threw a pebble at them. I've been hit in Assaults with strikes and gone on to be alive for my team's victory and I've used strikes as a light/medium to break up otherwise-invincible clusters of heavier mechs and to allow me to get the final hits on a mech spec'd against lights/mediums. Without player skill in other areas, the strikes aren't all that useful/threatening.

#6 Glenfiddich15Yr

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

View PostExarch Levin, on 02 January 2014 - 10:37 PM, said:

If your mech can't get out of the way, it is probably heavy enough to withstand the strike. I've hit Atlases with the brunt of the attack and they act as if I threw a pebble at them. I've been hit in Assaults with strikes and gone on to be alive for my team's victory and I've used strikes as a light/medium to break up otherwise-invincible clusters of heavier mechs and to allow me to get the final hits on a mech spec'd against lights/mediums. Without player skill in other areas, the strikes aren't all that useful/threatening.

That's why I never buy them. In my assaults, the strikes make it seem as if I simply got hit by a single laser black or something. It's a lot of c-bills for a very ineffective result.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users