Can Mediums Be A Viable Lrm Platform?

136 replies to this topic

#121 CuriousCabbitBlue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 228 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:48 AM

I don't own a medium lrm platform yet but plan to because I struggle with mediums all cept my 3 LL cent xD

I do own a stalker 3f(c) though not as mobile I found out early to keep moving while shooting lrms is important, I also downgraded to 10 an 5 launchers an my damage per match an kills went up while being able up upgrade my ammo an lasers

but after I get my next stalker so I can elite a med lrm is what I'm planning so I can unlock master for meds x3

#122 Jon Gotham

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:18 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 07 January 2014 - 07:36 AM, said:

Sorry but carrying all LRM5's is not an effective LRM boat, it pretty much exists just to troll people.

I and many others, would disagree sir.

As espoused by others, I've found the medium lrm mech to be the king of lrm platforms. Sure the stalker can herpderp out lrm 60 or so, but is slow, lumbering and inflexible.
A good medium kitted out with lrms? Fast, agile and can be anywhere at anytime. A target cowers behind cover? No problem, lrm medium simply runs to a spot where they can't hide, do that in your 56kph stalker......
I've found it the #1 way to play mediums these days, in the world of stupid fast assaults and heavies, close quarters with a medium is pure masochism.

#123 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:54 AM

I would have said no until I just played most of the weekend in a shawk-2k as a mini lrm boat.

My only lrm boat so far and it a surprisingly fun mech to play....endo, dhs, bap, tag, 3xlrm10 (just over 1400 lrms), and 2x mls for backup. Think I have an xl255 in it currently (82.x kph with st) but if you wanna shave a little ammo or a dhs you can run a xl280 (90.x kph with st) pretty well also.

The speed and JJ are probably what make it fun for me.

ETA: Pretty consistently did 400-700 dmg and 2-3 kills for me once I got the mechanics of the lrm play down.

Edited by DarthPeanut, 05 May 2014 - 09:59 AM.

#124 Wattila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:46 AM

View PostDarthPeanut, on 05 May 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

I would have said no until I just played most of the weekend in a shawk-2k as a mini lrm boat.
</p>
Seconded, I also play the SHD-2K as a lurmboat (3xLRM10, 2xML, TAG, AMS, 300XL). The high weapon mounts are a real boon as you can easily launch behind tall obstacles and self-spot relatively safely. Don't really need the AMS but it's more for protecting the slowboats on your team.

#125 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:58 AM

View PostWattila, on 06 May 2014 - 01:46 AM, said:

</p>
Seconded, I also play the SHD-2K as a lurmboat (3xLRM10, 2xML, TAG, AMS, 300XL). The high weapon mounts are a real boon as you can easily launch behind tall obstacles and self-spot relatively safely. Don't really need the AMS but it's more for protecting the slowboats on your team.

I ran the XL280 for a while but been on the XL255 now so I could pack on some extra ammo. Think I have 1440 lrms on it right now.

Is a lot of fun. Although I have had some pokes from random people about using a Shawk for lrms in game... until the end of the match usually when they see the kill/ dmg count. Not always but the vast majority of the time it does very well.

Last night had a no chance 12-0 roll right off the bat but following 5-6 matches I managed from 1-3 kills and 400+ dmg. 830 dmg being the high number for last nights fun, although ended up with only 1 kill that drop.

#126 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

This thread is making me want to rearm my TBT-5N again. :)

#127 MortVent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Locationother side of the ridge firing lrms at ya

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:37 PM

first day in my griffons... and I'd say yeah. They can be good ones with the right teams of course.

Like all other lrm focused builds

https://lh6.googleus...17-16-55-22.png

Did grab one snapshot of the end game, about average but that was a good all around team.

Edited by MortVent, 06 May 2014 - 01:45 PM.

#128 LiGhtningFF13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:48 PM

Fast, nice maneuverability, what do you want more. LRMs at any place at any time!

#129 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 02 May 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

Trying to picture fitting an ALRM 15, ALRM 20, 3 Streaks, 2 ML and a TAG...

What engine were you running in that?

My bad checked other night its a 10 and 15 not 20 and 15.

#130 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

View PostMad Ox, on 06 May 2014 - 03:00 PM, said:

My bad checked other night its a 10 and 15 not 20 and 15.

haha, totally makes more sense.

View PostDarthPeanut, on 06 May 2014 - 06:58 AM, said:

I ran the XL280 for a while but been on the XL255 now so I could pack on some extra ammo. Think I have 1440 lrms on it right now.

Is a lot of fun. Although I have had some pokes from random people about using a Shawk for lrms in game... until the end of the match usually when they see the kill/ dmg count. Not always but the vast majority of the time it does very well.

Last night had a no chance 12-0 roll right off the bat but following 5-6 matches I managed from 1-3 kills and 400+ dmg. 830 dmg being the high number for last nights fun, although ended up with only 1 kill that drop.

Yeah I'm running the XL255 with 3 LRM 10's TAG and 2 MLas. Of course BAP as well. Only one jump jet and 1080 ammo. Are you not running Artemis? Trying to figure out where you are getting your extra ammo.

I find Artemis is necessary for getting those quick shots off where you need Adv. Target Decay to hold just long enough.

#131 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 08 May 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

Yeah I'm running the XL255 with 3 LRM 10's TAG and 2 MLas. Of course BAP as well. Only one jump jet and 1080 ammo. Are you not running Artemis? Trying to figure out where you are getting your extra ammo.

I find Artemis is necessary for getting those quick shots off where you need Adv. Target Decay to hold just long enough.

Yea I am running Artemis, with the LRM5 I think you can get by without it but with the LRM10's or up it seems to be a nice improvement. From what I have found.

I run 8 tons of LRM ammo total. Wish I could fit 9 - 10 but I do not dare drop the MLS (saved my bacon a couple times, netting me some late game kills) and bap or tag are to useful to take off.

I do not run AMS since the mech runs 82.x kph and jumps.. plus I usually do not stray far from cover. I also drop down the armor on the arms a good bit since they are just shields without hardpoints.

Edited by DarthPeanut, 09 May 2014 - 10:33 AM.

#132 Grumm Esverian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 210 posts
  • LocationElizabethtown, kentucky

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

I would have to say that, based off of the success of my KTO-18, mediums with enough missile slots are absolutely viable as LRM platforms. 5x LRM-5 w/ Artemis, TAG, and Advanced Target Decay makes for a terrific harasser, and averages about 500-600+ damage a match. The only con is that with my build I can only mount a single medium laser as a back-up weapon, so if the enemy gets close there's little you can do about them.

But at distance? The thing's a beast.

Full Build:
KTO-18 Kintaro (the "Bad Touch")
Max Armor
275 XL engine
Endo Steel Internal Structure
Double Heat Sinks
1x TAG
1x Medium Laser
5x LRM-5 w/ Artemis IV FCS
9 tons LRM ammo
Advanced Target Decay Module

"LRMs loaded, just press "R" for customer support."

Edited by Grumm Esverian, 19 May 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#133 Navy Sixes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:12 AM

Not only can mediums be a viable LRM platform, if 4x3 ever gets off the ground, I think they will become the go-to LRM platform, for reasons I laid out in another thread a while ago...

http://mwomercs.com/...54#entry3234954

With class limits, all you rear-echelon assault skippers are going to become pariahs in the PUG (no one likes you that much as things stand now). After a few matches of all the rest of your team getting rolled by their assaults while you took all your armor into the backfield and shot the sides of buildings for 6 minutes, no one will want to drop with you. They've got Victors and Highlanders. We've got the guys with the Atlas LRM boats... again.

As for the heavies... yes, the Cat is probably the hands down best LRM platform in the game. Hint: Avoid the 2xLRM20 and instead go 2xLRM15 + more speed + more ammo + better secondary weapons. Avoid the A-1 "Spamcat" (6xLRM5) in the PUG (if you're in a coordinated premade, you can make it work) it's an all or nothing "gimmick" that will lose every time against ECM, grouped AMS, and fast lights.

But for as good an LRM platform as the heavies make, if you're only going to get 3 heavies per match, and keeping in mind that Jagers and Phracts are also heavies, how many LRM cats do you think you're going to see?

Mediums, I predict, will be taking on a lot more LRM duty if class limits come into play.

#134 Holdfast

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNoVa

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

The last two weeks or so I've been running this: CN9-A(C) with advanced target decay.

It's been a lot of fun. The speed's a huge advantage. I can avoid incoming missiles, outrun heavies and assaults, drag lights back to friendly lines, and drop missiles from unexpected angles. The empty arms seem to absorb a huge amount of damage, which is useful as I tend to be rather proactive with my TAG.

More often than not I get above 300 damage, which isn't bad considering how badly I suck at this game.

(And, as a plus, it's doing a great job of teaching me not to go toe to toe with everything I see, something I tend to do when I've got brawling weapons or I'm lrm'ing in my Stalker 3H. Seriously, I've turned toe and ran more in the last two weeks than I have in the last two months, and that's a good thing. I've been down two arms and a leg and still been fully effective in the end game.)

Edited by Holdfast, 03 June 2014 - 08:13 AM.

#135 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:40 PM

Lrms are better on mediums i think, you can get the angles more easily, lrm griffin packs are pretty lethal in pug games.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4132edaccd67b24

http://youtu.be/IKukQTUKAdg

I find this mech incredibly viable, infact its one of my favroites, requires skillful play, and is alot of fun.

Infact narc + lrm combo on mediums is extremely good imho...

The ability to move to get good angles/different angles from the main lrm stalkers is priceless..... also handing your team a victory becuase your narcing is priceless.

I'll note playing this mech has pushed my lrm 10 accuracy above 50%

Edited by zortesh, 07 June 2014 - 07:51 PM.

#136 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

You tell me.
50 ton mech.
1620 missiles.
Twin LRM-10s.

1 user(s) are reading this topic