I'd Appreciate Some Advice Before Buying My First Mech!

10 replies to this topic

#1 The SovereignX

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:13 AM

Hy people!

I'd appreciate if you give me some advices about which assault should I buy. I looking for an assault somewhere between brawler and sniper. Something in medium range. I like PPC but dislike and don't want to use LRMs. And as for as I read SRM-s not too good because they are spreading their damage.
Big guns like AC/20 are great i think. Don't exactly like to use AC/10 because it do only half damage and 12 tons. Ac/20 14 tons.
But i can be flexible in this issues so... pls give me some advice or builds :(

THX!

#2 The SovereignX

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:19 AM

or should i looking for mechs in heavy class? I have to admit i don't really see big difference between hvy and assault.
Yes! Hvy. Jagermech with two AC/20 looks pretty solid :(

#3 Pat Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:23 AM

If you like jump jets, Highlanders and victors are your 2 options, but both tend to be more snipy.
Atlases and Awesomes are decent at brawling. I love stalkers though but they also tend to be more of the mid to long range fighters. That a pretty simplistic view of it all as any mech can be fitted to perform almost any role. If you like mid-long range engagments try any mech you want and outfit it to fill that role. If you're willing to give it a few weeks you could play some of the trail assault mechs that rotate in and see if any peek your interest.

If you want to avoid missiles,look at the allowed hard points on each variant of the mechs you are interested in and go with mechs that favor energy and ballistics more than missiles but again, most assault mechs can be fitted to assume any role/range of engagement you like.

Edited by Pat Kell, 08 January 2014 - 01:31 AM.

#4 Pat Kell

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:27 AM

AC20 jaeger is pretty solid I agree but it still needs to be played smart as everyone tends to focus them for 2 reasons, they hurt when they hit and they seem to be made of glass. Heavies can be good if you like more mobility but you really have to take advantage of that because they just can't take the beating that assaults can.

#5 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:42 AM

a stalker 3F with 4LLas and 4SSRM2's is a fun time. but they are sluggish (gets better once you get elite skills.)

#6 Dan Nashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 606 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:55 AM

HGN: good brawler, good sniper, can jump, is unquestionably competive, handles like an assault.
Victor, stalker, and atlas are good.
awesome is awful.
Battlemaster is not as good as stalker.

My two cents: get the mech that can run the meta, so you don't get trapped into feeling like you lose because you have a worse mech. Then expand.

That said, victors are really maneuverable and fun, and just a little smaller.

Stalkers are good but not top end. Atlas is actually very hard to use and doe sn't have good build variety.

My $0.02

Builds: HGN
ac20, 2 ppcs
ac 20, 2 lpls
2 ac 5, 2 ppc
2 uac 5, 2 ppc
ll and bunch of lrms
gauss, 2 er ppc
2 uac 5, 2 ll, and a cople streak 2s.
ac20, 2 ll, a few srm 4s.
ac 10, 2 ppcs, some srms mybe?

Edited by DanNashe, 09 January 2014 - 08:00 AM.

#7 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:16 AM

I would purchase a JM6-A.

The jager is a 65-ton heavy 'mech...and the JM6-A has a lot of variety for a first 'mech.

With 2 ballistic, 2 energy, and 4 missiles you can run it with a variety of options.

2 AC20
2 Gauss
2 AC5/2PPC
LRM's
SRM'S
Streaks

It'll let you try out all kinds of builds without having to buy a lot of 'mechs. And Jagers are a lot of fun :P

#8 Israel Finklestein

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:32 AM

Highlanders and Victors can both pretty easily run the 40 alpha builds with x2PPC/AC20 which is a really fun way to brawl and with PPCs can still contribute at range.

#9 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

The Highlander handles like an assault, but the Victor handles like a heavy. Both have jump-jets so it does lend to some increased mobility. The Awesome, well have issues with torso hits and are not good for brawling. I will say this, some people are masters of the Awesome and I have to acknowledge that. Atlas, well it is a brawlers brawler but can do some of every thing including being the big meat shield. Battlemasters, You can do a lot with them. One I have with 2 PPC's, 2 ERPPC's and 2 MG's and it worked better than I expected. Stalkers can do brawling, but without normal arms and torso twist limits it is limited to a somewhat support roll, but can deal out a lot of damage. Infact enough to make Atlases back off.

Remember, since you are new find what you like to play, play it. Then play what you are good at, play it. Then go to the items that you normally avoid or are not good at. That is how I found the PPC build for the Battlemaster and now I enjoy it where before I would not run with any PPC's.

Even look at the heavies. Look at how long it will take you to buy that second mech and load it out. Ask yourself, do I want to risk an XL engine or use a larger standard engine? What is the benefit of an XL for the mech and what are the detractors. Also some builds for assaults you do not need to upgrade to endo-steel, or if you are going to use about 40 single heat sinks then you do not need to use double heat sinks.

Heavies are a good choice. The cost to buy and equip them is about the cost of an atlas. You have the Jagger with the Dakka and one where you could use LRM's. (learning experience for later) The Thunderbolts and they are highly adaptable. Dragons for being an flanker, cataphracts with the ability to have dakka and PPC's combined with the benefit that it can make an atlas back off. The Quick draw I need to see more along with the orion. Then there is always the Catapults with LRMs or the K2 with PPC's and AC's

Play what you are good or like for now, then branch out. It just makes you better.

#10 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

Maybe an Atlas-RS or Stalker? You should just get a Jager or Phract, they have lots of good medium range builds.

Edited by Spheroid, 09 January 2014 - 12:00 PM.

#11 Prc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 191 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires - Argentina

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

3D, 732, S-DD, Best imo

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users