On1-M Or On1-V

15 replies to this topic

#1 Tonberry King

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

I'm grinding to elite in the Orion variants and want to know which one I should end with. The M is more expensive... but it doesn't look much different from any of the other variants.

What I wanted to create was a "Shotgun" type of mech, by utilizing x3 SRM6, the LBX, and then do whatever with Lasers because I hate energy (depending on the map). I've already got an XL295 in stock, so would that defeat the purpose of getting the M variant? With a shotgun setup, should I sacrifice some Energy quality for speed? Like with a bigger engine?

Now that I look closer, if I'm gonna SRMs shouldn't I go with the VA variant, for more missile bays? I finally got 6 million need to make a decision.

#2 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:52 AM

M is the only variant with a center torso hardpoint, which is stock a Narc beacon but you can fit an SRM6 in there.

I used it as an lrm boat with 2xlrm15s and an lrm5, but it could be used for what you want.

The other variants have the missile points more balanced though, the M has them all on one side.

#3 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

You want the VA.

#4 Corbon Zackery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2a1a3816c473a3d

M just a bit better build.
Weapon groups
1. 2 m lasers, Large laser
2. AC 20
3. SRM 4

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...47ed0e02405cd5e

V is more of a long range mech.
1. link fired ER large lasers (Suppression fire)
2. AC 2 (long range snipping)
3. LRM 10 (dump off the ammo)

3 to 4 weapon groups for each. You don't want a ER large on the M that way you can keep the large and medium lasers group on one key You do extended range damage with the M lasers at 450m.

Edited by Corbon Zackery, 08 January 2014 - 11:29 AM.

#5 RavensScar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

In my experience, the V is a vastly better mech than the M. With the bizarre, asymmetrical spread of hardpoints, the M can be a right pain to build well.

That being said, the M is still an Orion, so it's certainly not a bad mech, and it comes with a 300XL which is an incredibly useful engine, and DHS, saving you some money.

#6 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

I have the Protector, K, V, and VA. The M looked like an oddball to me though eventually I'll buy it so I can have them all.

If you want to use SRMs, go with the VA.

#7 Mr David

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:22 AM

VA all the way. Plenty of good builds on mechspecs.com

#8 DarkDevilDancer

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:57 AM

I used the M as a missile boat and it works well better than my catapults honestly as its harder to core and carries more ammo.

#9 Samziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seraph
  • The Seraph
  • 536 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:35 AM

This is what I build based on my ON1-K shotgun build.
ON1-V Shotgun

I don't have the V variant, but my K build only has 1 SRM6 less and 2 medium lasers more. You can remove heat sink and add ammo if you want.

So, I would say V. M doesn't really have anything special on my opinion, aside from the really high price.

#10 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:28 AM

View PostDarkDevilDancer, on 09 January 2014 - 03:57 AM, said:

I used the M as a missile boat and it works well better than my catapults honestly as its harder to core and carries more ammo.

Yup, I believe this is basically what the FWL was going for when they made this variant seeing as the other variants were still in use and did other roles.

A lance of Orions set up to complement each other can be pretty devastating in tabletop, might be interesting to see what they can do in MWO.

#11 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:25 AM

Something worth finding out - the M would have 10% more protection in the CT if you have a missile launcher equipped with shut launcher doors. That is, if the launcher doors actually exist on the model.

#12 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:32 AM

View PostCorbon Zackery, on 08 January 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

Weapon groups
2. AC 20
3. SRM 4

3 to 4 weapon groups for each. You don't want a ER large on the M that way you can keep the large and medium lasers group on one key You do extended range damage with the M lasers at 450m.

Where is your ammo man?

#13 tayhimself

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 334 posts
  • LocationAn island

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:15 AM

Get the VA if you want to use SRMs or even LRMs. I have mine set up with 2 LRM15s, a 10, and a 5.
Get the V if you want to use the dual ballistics. I have mine set up with 2 UAC5.
I don't have the M but its only advantage is a extra energy mount. I wouldn't consider this enough of a strength to bother with the M over the VA or the V.

Edited by tayhimself, 10 January 2014 - 07:19 AM.

#14 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:52 AM

View PostCorbon Zackery, on 08 January 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

Weapon groups
2. AC 20
3. SRM 4

Only use these mechs if you are happy being painfully slow and not having enough ammo.

The V build is especially bad, as CASE with an XL engine accomplishes nothing. It wastes a full ton and 2 crits adding equipment that does nothing.

At this point I can't tell if this guy honestly believes in the crappy builds he posts, or if he is purposely trying to mislead people.

Edited by Escef, 11 January 2014 - 02:04 AM.

#15 Mr 144

• 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:53 AM

I don't see much use for the M....I've mastered the -V, -VA, and -K.

The VA looks like the best, but the 4xSRM6 builds just don't fit as well as you'd hope. For LRMs...boating is usually problematic (a dmg consistency issue). You can run 4xLRM5 (which works beautifully with and AC/20 and MLs), or 2xALRM15+2xASRM6+2xML....both work well, but I just found any 4xSRM build "lacking" compared to other options.

The -K is my "Brawler, because you just can't beat 4xML in the arms along with 2xSRM6's and an AC/10 or LBX. Brawling is nothing more than "fun" at the moment however.

The -V imho, is by far the best variant...tons of decent builds...just don't run an SRM in the torso...it just screws up your rythmn while twisting.

#16 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

One thing I'll say for the M--the third energy mount lets you equip a Tag and still carry two lasers, not bad for a missile boat (40 tubes is respectable too).

I sold my V because the Protector is just better if you want two ballistics.

I just bought a VA and I'm loving it. Gauss + 2ml + 2SRM6 + 2SRM4 + XL325, or I can switch to an AC10 and an XL 340 engine. Just a lot of fun builds and more tonnage to play with compared to a Jäger JM6-A.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users