Jump to content

Guide For New Players With Basic And Advanced Topics

Guide

98 replies to this topic

#61 The Witt

    Rookie

  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4 posts
  • LocationKettering, UK

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:34 AM

Really great guide. I took part in the closed beta and am now returning to the game and found this guide very helpful as there is so much more content and so many more mechs, think there were only 8 when I drifted away from the game. It's actually useful knowing which mechs are IS and which are Clan as I can't seem to find any reference on MWO itself.
Some interesting topics to include in this guide could be explaining the game types and tactics. You mention at some point that medium mechs often get ahead of the lance and end up getting slotted early due to their upfield positioning. As I enjoy playing a hunchback this is definitely something I ran into.
Also it would be useful to talk a little bit about what to do when you've taken damage, so I've taken some early shots from some ER LLs and haven't been able to trade well. I'm running out of armour on my Torso, what are my options? hang back and move in for a counter attack once the main battle has started, go off on an objective run, just keep trying to put damage down?
Another interesting topic could be communication. I know I've been killed many times by chasing a light mech round a corner only to find that there are 4 or 5 heavies waiting in an ECM bubble!! A summary of the communication terms and etiquette would be great. What is considered important information and how should I share it with the team in the chat?

Really great guide, obviously a lot of work has gone into this.

#62 Kin3ticX

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:07 PM

View PostThe Witt, on 15 December 2014 - 03:34 AM, said:

Really great guide. I took part in the closed beta and am now returning to the game and found this guide very helpful as there is so much more content and so many more mechs, think there were only 8 when I drifted away from the game. It's actually useful knowing which mechs are IS and which are Clan as I can't seem to find any reference on MWO itself.
Some interesting topics to include in this guide could be explaining the game types and tactics. You mention at some point that medium mechs often get ahead of the lance and end up getting slotted early due to their upfield positioning. As I enjoy playing a hunchback this is definitely something I ran into.
Also it would be useful to talk a little bit about what to do when you've taken damage, so I've taken some early shots from some ER LLs and haven't been able to trade well. I'm running out of armour on my Torso, what are my options? hang back and move in for a counter attack once the main battle has started, go off on an objective run, just keep trying to put damage down?
Another interesting topic could be communication. I know I've been killed many times by chasing a light mech round a corner only to find that there are 4 or 5 heavies waiting in an ECM bubble!! A summary of the communication terms and etiquette would be great. What is considered important information and how should I share it with the team in the chat?

Really great guide, obviously a lot of work has gone into this.


Thank you, sounds good, I will see what I can do to implement those uncovered topics. The thing is, those topics are something that probably need to be done on video and would not easily fit on slides. I unfortunately cant make videos to save my life. Perhaps I will talk to Kanajashi about game mode videos for Assault, Skirmish, Conquest, and Attack/Defend which would carefully cover the overlap and differences.

Edited by Kin3ticX, 15 December 2014 - 12:14 PM.


#63 SophieRichard

    Rookie

  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:44 AM

merci beaucoup !cela est utilisé !


--------------------------

#64 Kin3ticX

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 25 December 2014 - 05:21 AM

new page here that briefly covers CW dropdecks
https://docs.google....g56a3d083f_1800

#65 SophieRichard

    Rookie

  • 2 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:06 PM

View PostKin3ticX, on 25 December 2014 - 05:21 AM, said:

new page here that briefly covers CW dropdecks
https://docs.google....g56a3d083f_1800



oui,je comprends,merci beaucoup !

------------------
accessoires iPhone 6 Plus
etui iPad air 2

Edited by SophieRichard, 25 December 2014 - 11:08 PM.


#66 Naozif

    Rookie

  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:34 AM

i cant find the information on the topics all i can see are you guys chatting and where are everybody getting the"advice" ???

can somebody plsss help ??? i dont even know how to get my own mech yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

#67 Kin3ticX

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:36 AM

View PostNaozif, on 02 January 2015 - 05:34 AM, said:

i cant find the information on the topics all i can see are you guys chatting and where are everybody getting the"advice" ???

can somebody plsss help ??? i dont even know how to get my own mech yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(


This link can also be found in my signature. Not sure why you are having a problem getting the link.

#68 Kin3ticX

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:47 PM

[page removed]

Edited by Kin3ticX, 18 April 2015 - 08:56 PM.


#69 Here5y

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 377 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:15 PM

Thanks for this awesome Guide Kin3ticX.

#70 OmgTired

    Rookie

  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:36 AM

thats exatly what i was looking for thx)

#71 Chaosbarbarian

    Member

  • PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 21 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:42 AM

seriously, I came across this after a few weeks playing and kinda getting patches of good play correct,

this solidified them into a whole, now I will be unstoppable...assuming I learn not to be in a rush to be the first to come to grips with the enemy :), first in first out lol, any chance you could do a guide for rash players to calm them down

again, many thanks, great work

#72 I am myLoves_Discarded

    Member

  • Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAn Undiscovered SLDF Battlemech Research Station Amongst the Stars of the Hansa

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:07 AM

Awesome guide! I've been around since closed beta and have not seen such a concise "essentials" manual. And with personality, too.
Only experience teaches, but this points out where to look for the lessons ( or to avoid becoming a lesson).

Thank you, Sir Kin3ticx.

#73 Kin3ticX

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:27 PM

Updated a bunch of stuff in response to the 2/17 patch. CW decks, builds, and such.

Edited by Kin3ticX, 18 February 2015 - 06:27 PM.


#74 Kin3ticX

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:30 PM

This is an illustration I threw together. I am curious...what do you think?
Posted Image

Edited by Kin3ticX, 20 February 2015 - 11:47 AM.


#75 Sandersson Jankins

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:42 AM

Great guide, I'll distribute it to several new players I'm bringing in.

Thanks, bud.

#76 OZHomerOZ

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:33 AM

Thanks, service to da community ;)

#77 WerWolf3rd

    Rookie

  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:40 PM

Thanks for this Guide, it's really helping :)

#78 Kin3ticX

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:08 PM

I am currently working on a larger community warfare guide which will be an addition to the existing one.

Originally it was just a dropdeck reference guide but I will include more comprehensive information and anecdotal thoughts from my experience playing CW.

https://docs.google....901bb2418_179_7

Edited by Kin3ticX, 27 March 2015 - 06:06 PM.


#79 BigBenn

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 571 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:00 AM

Impressive. Thanks a many for putting this together. All new players should get ushered to this guide somehow.

:)

#80 Kin3ticX

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:58 AM

just created a new page for new players thinking about CW https://docs.google....9accf3b35_134_0





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users