Ui2.0 And Joysticks?

17 replies to this topic

#1 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

the UI preview is missing the column for joystick controls.will they be added before it goes live?i would hate to find, that i cant play when it is introduced.

#2 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

No mention of joys in the controls menu, and also not recognizing analog inputs to bind for turning or throttle. The client automatically reassigned my pedals to torso x axis and my throttle doesn't exist.

My stick runs in mouse emulation (to allow absolute inputs... it's not a flightstick but a dedicated positional controller scheme called master/slave/replica but that is matter of protracted discussion in it's own right) so is unaffected by this, but analog controls are uprooted and this does not bode well given the track record here.

#3 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

Similar problems. Was unable to bind buttons from Logitech Extreme 3D anywhere in the settings menu, and Logitech's controller software for mapping buttons to keys, was... inconsistent at best and neither would allow pitch/twist control while in game.

#4 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

https://twitter.com/...913917060886530

#5 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 16 January 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

Hold me. I'm scared.

#6 Darth Buddha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 168 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

It better be.... With out my joystick and rudders it just is not the same....

#7 Zerik1

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

You know? If I were to pay $500.00 for a golden mech and online content, how bout actually throwing in some hardware like a couple joystics and rudders. I mean, $500 can buy a PS4, Yeah?!

#8 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

Scared me also.

#9 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

View PostZerik1, on 16 January 2014 - 03:05 PM, said:

You know? If I were to pay $500.00 for a golden mech and online content, how bout actually throwing in some hardware like a couple joystics and rudders. I mean, $500 can buy a PS4, Yeah?!

And this is what's wrong with America.

#10 Foust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

No joystick options in the UI2.0 test was disconcerting, however, my rudder and throttle worked.

So I will prepare flaming pitchforks, but not light them just yet....

#11 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

View PostFoust, on 17 January 2014 - 03:01 PM, said:

No joystick options in the UI2.0 test was disconcerting, however, my rudder and throttle worked.

So I will prepare flaming pitchforks, but not light them just yet....

Interesting, my pedal's axes was recognized and worked, but it was applied to my mechs torso x-axis instead of my legs and no way to re-assign. btw, I noticed you were on and tested the chat system but didn't hear back so got back to the shooty parts, did you get the messages? For the afternoon test I had reverted my pedals back to using Saitek's software to generate 'a' and 'd' and used TARGET to make my analog throttle generate digital events (keyboard emulated) so was able to play pretty much normally for that session (dat cockpit glass!).

In forward, my digital throttle is nearly the same as analog because the numpad commands are broken down in linear 10% increments so the gradient is almost the same and all-stop command behaves the same, however reverse is noticeably inferior like this since there is no gradient option and it takes much longer for 's' keypress events to add up to full reverse than it takes to slam it to full rev with an absolute mapped throttle and mechs are noticeably sluggish in reverse than analog throttle can be.

My flaming pitchforks are on standby, but even if they totally blow it my own control scheme will look almost identical to what I use anyhow and would be yet another example of why using TARGET is preferable since emulated controls are only affected by what affects kbm.

#12 Slow and Decrepit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 525 posts
  • LocationBelen, the Mosquito Capital of NM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

I was really looking forward to ui 2.0, but am now wondering if we're going to go the way of the dinos! I jumped right in and after figuring out how things worked, my son and I formed a group and I dropped in only to discover I had no control of my mech! I went in the control panel to see if it was a key binding issue, and discovered there was nothing I could do. At that point, I just ended the game right on the spot. After going through and reading page after page of responses, I see that very few of us use a stick. I've been battling cancer for 15 years now, and get chemo every week. My hand to eye coordination sucks, and using a stick works so much better for me. If the stick bindings gets delayed when ui 2.0 comes out, I'll be up the creek! So ya, I'm scared too! :unsure:

#13 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

Some one posted this earlier there will be support for joysticks.

"Russ Bullock ‏@russ_bullock

@MWORoadbeer @bryanekman Joystick mapping will be in for feb 4th"
https://twitter.com/...913917060886530

#14 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 16 January 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

Similar problems. Was unable to bind buttons from Logitech Extreme 3D anywhere in the settings menu, and Logitech's controller software for mapping buttons to keys, was... inconsistent at best and neither would allow pitch/twist control while in game.

I was able to "use" a Wingman 3D (with serial to USB no less) on standard windows found drivers including reassigning twist. In fact the built in throttle being mental was the killer for me (with the other flaws as a given)..

View PostLoc Nar, on 16 January 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

No mention of joys in the controls menu, and also not recognizing analog inputs to bind for turning or throttle. The client automatically reassigned my pedals to torso x axis and my throttle doesn't exist.

My stick runs in mouse emulation (to allow absolute inputs... it's not a flightstick but a dedicated positional controller scheme called master/slave/replica but that is matter of protracted discussion in it's own right) so is unaffected by this, but analog controls are uprooted and this does not bode well given the track record here.

Though I still plan on building standalone MechPit at some point (good ol time and fund constraints), I may attempt gutting a decent keyboard (with serviceable keys{what can I say.. Im a bit hard on micro switches.. you learn to rebuild them}) and going Dr. Frankenstein on an optical mouse to build a joystick. Having the optic looking down from the stick into a graphed spherical field (I believe one of your write ups lead to that as an option{that someone had used in other sim settings}).

However.. it is still very tempting to try your hall settup and wiring up switchboards to a programmable controller and have the Pit recognize itself as part of its control scheme at some point. I could settle with it seeing its parts as a keyboard and mouse.. I am still torn on pedal function. Not so much as their being there, I know I want pedals. But a pot in the middle or separate linear.. foot actuators as switches or linear.. or do I...

:unsure:

#15 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

Guys, you're planning this out all wrong.

You light the torches, not the pitchforks. The pitchforks you either sharpen, or leave rusty and then coat the tines in your choice of farm animal dung (Depends on how much you want them to suffer...).

I hope you guys regain the functionality that was in there before, (such as it was). If it improves beyond that, even better.

#16 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:01 AM

This is good news

View PostCyBerkut, on 18 January 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

Guys, you're planning this out all wrong.

You light the torches, not the pitchforks. The pitchforks you either sharpen, or leave rusty and then coat the tines in your choice of farm animal dung (Depends on how much you want them to suffer...).

I hope you guys regain the functionality that was in there before, (such as it was). If it improves beyond that, even better.

I thought pitch burned :lol: :D :ph34r: :unsure: :blink: :blink: :wacko: :unsure:

#17 At Least Three Bears

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:14 AM

So between this, war thunder and future star citizen I decided to invest into a joystick, I know I am gonna suck hard at aiming, but I don't care. What I do care tough is if there is no more issues with the one i want (saitek X52 Pro), cos a quick look around and threads pop with issues. I would hate to have half the buttons, or functionalities not working...

#18 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

Predictably, and contrary to Russ's assurances (but he promised... ON TWITTER!), analog controls have been removed from the options menu.

Disappoint does not even begin to describe what I am feeling.

I am in idiot. Controls are fine. Settings can be viewed/altered from the lower right of the screen in the UI.

Edited by Loc Nar, 04 February 2014 - 10:21 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users