Help With Blackscreening During Gameplay.

5 replies to this topic

#1 Lance2500

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:18 AM

Long story short. 2 months ago I bought a Sapphire 7790 2GB OC graphics card and when I installed it my screen would randomly go black during gameplay of this game and League of Legends (the only games I am currently playing). The screen goes black and I sometimes lost audio and other times it stuck on a loop of a sound from the game. My monitor does not go to sleep and it just sits there and so does my PC. The only way to recover this is to manually disconnect the power and restart the PC.

I sent that 7790 back for warranty and the replacement arrived a few days ago and I installed it and am having the same issue. To rephrase, when I play this game my screen goes black and my monitor does not go to sleep and I have to cut power to the PC and restart it for it to work again.

I have checked CPU temps and GPU temps during gameplay and both were fine before black screening occured. The black screen randomly occurs during gameplay. Sometimes I can play 1 or 2 full matches before it happens and other times it happens very early during my 1st match.

I'm asking if anyone here can help me figure this out? If I have already used my warranty for my GPU I'm guessing the 2nd one does not get warranty and that the replacement GPU may not be the culprit.

Could this be an overheating PSU? Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated.

Specs are:

CPU: intel core 2 duo e8400 stock
MOBO: Asus P5Q-EM
RAM: 2X2GB DDR2 Kingston dual channel
GPU: Sapphire HD 7790 2GB OC
HDD: 500GB (Don't know brand)
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620C 620W
Case: Cooler Master CM690

#2 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:44 AM

Could be several things:

corrupt video driver

Bad power supply [not supplying enough voltage, causing hard freeze]

bad memory

I probably don't need to tell you you're way overdue for a new machine.  I have zero experience with LoL, but you are going to have severe performance issues trying to run MwO on a stock clocked dual core machine.  Overclocking will probably not help much, either.  

You can download a stress tester like Prime95 to test your CPU/memory side.  If you have no issues with that after 30 minutes or so I'd move on to running 3dmark to test the GPU.  If *THAT* makes it through the tests, I'd start prime95 and THEN run 3dmark on top of it to fully stress the system [this is how I test the maximum power draw on my rig.  coupled with a kill-o-watt meter, I can see EXACTLY how many watts my computer is pulling when pushed completely b4lls to the wall.

Edited by Sen, 11 January 2014 - 05:47 AM.

#3 Lance2500

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

Alright I ran Prime95 for about 40 minutes and left me pc alone and when I came back it was fine. I ran 3DMark for 20-30 minutes and came back and 3DMark said an error occured. I also had the message in the bottom right hand corner of my screen above Catalyst Control Center saying my display driver stopped responding and recovered. Here is a screen shot. http://imgur.com/qacJgqn

I will look into this and report back.

#4 Lance2500

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:35 AM

Well I searched on the internet about the 3DMark error message and I found it it is GPU related so I got in contact with the store I bought the GPU from and I will be sending it back to them for testing. Hopefully the error is the GPU and not something in my system. This topic can be closed now.

#5 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:37 AM

MAKE SURE the store tests with something like 3dmark.

I had an issue with a notebook several months back. Under gaming it kept crashing. Manufacturer told me to RMA to the seller [Newegg] who tested it and told me no fault found, and sent it back.

The manufacturer actually had to intervene with Newegg and EXPLAIN to them their tests weren't the correct tests to duplicate the failure I was experiencing.

#6 Lance2500

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

Alright I can mention that to them thanks. Should I also tell them to test it with Mechwarrior Online?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users