- - - - -

Can You Use Cool Shot While Shut Down?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Nikkoru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

Looked around but couldn't find any tutorial or demonstration about cool shots. How much of a difference do they really make? Can you use them while shut down to come back online faster? Are they worth it?

#2 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:36 AM

Cool shots, specifically the 9x9, usually ranks in the top 3 of most peoples most useful module. That along with seismic and arty strike. Honorable mentions to target decay and UAV for LRM assisting/recon. And advanced zoom for evil people with squinty eyes.

Cool shots can allow you to put out a lot of extra damage at really critical and dangerous moments in a fight. You can't use them while powered down, but if you shut down in those situations I am talking about you often made a huge mistake and won't be powering back up.
Usually the point would be to use them so you keep firing while in the fire fight that requires putting out damage as fast as possible and you don't have to cool, like trying to take the brunt of an assault rush at mid to close quarter.
I wouldn't so much think of them as saving me from shutting down in that type of situation as I would usually just not fire and be cooling down while trying to absorb damage in non critical areas.

down side is they cost 40k cbills a pop. These days in PUGs I think I only use one every 5 matches depending on the mech. But they do make a difference.

Conclusion> worth it but maybe not worth spamming every match if you are trying to earn cbills faster.

Edited by Ghogiel, 12 January 2014 - 12:39 AM.

#3 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:31 AM

While shut down, you can do nothing at all. You can hit O or P to power back up, but that's the only control that will respond.

#4 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,662 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

No, and if cool shot is currently in effect, it will pause while you are shutdown and finish when you power back up (so said the patch notes as I recall)

#5 Nikkoru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 12 January 2014 - 04:31 AM, said:

While shut down, you can do nothing at all. You can hit O or P to power back up, but that's the only control that will respond.

Does that really work? I feel like I always hit O and it never does anything. Is there a trick to it?

#6 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

View PostNikkoru, on 12 January 2014 - 09:40 AM, said:

Does that really work? I feel like I always hit O and it never does anything. Is there a trick to it?

There is a minimal safe level (not sure exactly what level it is) at which an override can work. Until you cool back to that level, it won't let you use it, so if you overheated by a lot, it appears not to work.

#7 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,662 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

There is a minimum power down and back on time. you can't start up any faster than that. The elite skill makes this routine faster.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users