Jump to content

The Underrated Locust


4819 replies to this topic

#21 Fang01

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

had a nice 500 dmg game in my Spl 3m today. Hey walker, we'll have to duel again sometime

#22 Peter2k

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,007 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationWuppertal - Germany

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

I don't know

I've killed so many Locusts

With all 4 weight classes
I streak them to death in a 3L or a streak medium
I use my Jenners JJ to great success against foes triple the weight, only streaks are dangerous for obvious reasons

3 large pulse in my heavy metals arms is bad news even for Spiders, Locust don't enjoy magic armor

I even put some Locust out with an AC 20 hit from my "just for fun" dual AC20 Jaeger
It's just not armored enough

I enjoy piloting light mechs, but ultimately I sold my Locusts
If you actually do good in a locust, than you would probably be a grandmaster in another light

That hit n run tactic works well in unorganized pugs I guess, but against pilots with good situational awareness, you're dead meat, we cover our flanks, help each other out, and some of us are a decent enough shot to put a a lot of damage on you're locust to finish you in one shot

One game I saw a player do just that boom tactic, and I shot at him with one AC 20, didn't hit, compensated for the distance and travel time of the round and hit rather easy, dead in one shot; guess I hit either side torso or back
His path was predictable (maybe it's just me, having played many games in a light mech)

Most locust players run it like a raven in the old days, thinking lag shield is protecting them

Now if you bump up the speed of the thing quite some and add masc, than I might buy them again
But that's probably the reason why PGI didn't bring out the flea
It's so light it should go somewhere around 200 kph I think, you just have to be able to run away from streakboats reliably

#23 G0SSY

    Rookie

  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 9 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

One of my University lecturers had a saying: Hard => Fun.

Playing a locust is Hard, therefore, Locust => Fun.

Consider it a challenge to your piloting skills, if you can successfully pilot a Locust, you will probably kick arse in just about any other light. But that wouldn't be as much fun.

It is annoying when an hunchback sneezes and your entire right side gets blown off, but its all part of... the fun!

#24 Void Angel

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,625 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess he wasn't a philosophy or political science lecturer.

#25 Peter2k

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,007 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationWuppertal - Germany

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:20 PM

View PostG0SSY, on 18 January 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

One of my University lecturers had a saying: Hard => Fun.

Playing a locust is Hard, therefore, Locust => Fun.

Consider it a challenge to your piloting skills, if you can successfully pilot a Locust, you will probably kick arse in just about any other light. But that wouldn't be as much fun.

It is annoying when an hunchback sneezes and your entire right side gets blown off, but its all part of... the fun!


I know what you mean, but see

If you want it to be more difficult, than get a raven or jenner, and bring armor values down to locust level
At least you can bring mor guns to the fight and more heat sinks, going nearly as fast ;-)

Some consider winning fun
Some others like a good fight more than getting the victory handed to them

A locust is more a reliability in most cases as long as there are no weight restrictions and speed too similar to heavier lights

PGI would do well to give those realy lightweight lights some good quirks to make them better
Like being the only light mechs that can target every enemy in radar range at the same time, add a target decay and 360 targeting and you're the best, fastest spotter
Not just a lightweight jenner

#26 Wildstreak

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 4,429 posts
  • LocationFiguring out why I still play MWO

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

The 1V was the hardest for me. I ran either
- 170XL, ERLL, 2MG
- 180XL, MPL, 4MG, AMS

3M I started trying different versions, settled for a while on 180XL, 3ML + TAG then switched to 180XL, 4ML while working on Elite once I felt I knew how to handle heat issues.

3S I had my best times in, in some ways better than the 3M. At first 180XL, MPL + 2SRM2, tried 180XL, ML + 2Steaks but did not like waiting for lock ons. Later went 180XL, ML + 3SRM2. Could've just used 1 SRM4 or 6 but figured the spread problem would make them worse at high speed hit & run.

#27 G0SSY

    Rookie

  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 9 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:49 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 18 January 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess he wasn't a philosophy or political science lecturer.


No, he was my Concurrent Programming lecturer XD

I'm rather enjoying the Boom & Zoom in a 3S with a 180XL, 4 X SRM2 and an ML. Can string 5 alpha strike launches without overheating on the non-hot maps. Bit more trouble on the hot ones though...

#28 Void Angel

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,625 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

A philosophy or political science instructor would have pointed out that while difficulty is essential to satisfaction, it is also the primary ingredient in futility, which reduces satisfaction as well. =)

#29 AaronWolf

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 651 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 18 January 2014 - 09:55 PM, said:

A philosophy or political science instructor would have pointed out that while difficulty is essential to satisfaction, it is also the primary ingredient in futility, which reduces satisfaction as well. =)


Futility is only achieved though when the job or function is so hard that it is quite literally impossible. It is a futile action to do so from that point on. Like trying to jump over a 30ft wall. It just is not possible.

It is not impossible to do well with a Locust.

It is like taking a game, and raising the level from "Hardmode" to "Prepare to Die".

Don't expect to live everytime, but expect to have a blast dying.

And I'm one of those people who plays Dark Souls/Demon Souls and loves it. Kinda masochistic of me...to be honest...

#30 Void Angel

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,625 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

Impossibility isn't an absolute requirement for a feeling of futility; you just need enough difficulty to produce frustration. You can (and should) approach games with the goal of challenging yourself and your abilities - but as the IGN review of Dark Souls points out, "there's a difference between challenging and downright unfair." In a game consisting solely of PvP, unfairness takes on more meaning.

My point was that a teacher of politics or philosophy would probably have been uncomfortable with the oversimplification "difficulty => fun," and would have felt the need to extrapolate. While a lack of difficulty will lead to futility and destroy enjoyment, too much difficulty will lead you to the same end - place is important in every good thing. After all, evil is nothing more than a good thing misplaced.

Edited by Void Angel, 20 January 2014 - 12:27 PM.


#31 Modo44

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

View PostAaronWolf, on 20 January 2014 - 08:25 AM, said:

Futility is only achieved though when the job or function is so hard that it is quite literally impossible.

This is exactly what happens in MWO when matches depend on luck (matchmaker draw), and you sit in the least self-sufficient mech the game offers.

#32 Buckminster

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

True. But nothing is more fun than yelling "trolololololo" through the chat as you run around, the last one left, as your side creeps towards the inevitable cap win in Conquest. I got called some names for that. :rolleyes:

#33 Mogney

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 491 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

I don't think the Locust is underrated at all. :rolleyes:

#34 Modo44

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

Hey, I get your meaning, I own an Awesome. However, I would advise anyone who would listen to stay away. :rolleyes:

#35 AaronWolf

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 651 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 20 January 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

Impossibility isn't an absolute requirement for a feeling of futility; you just need enough difficulty to produce frustration. You can (and should) approach games with the goal of challenging yourself and your abilities - but as the IGN review of Dark Souls points out, "there's a difference between challenging and downright unfair." In a game consisting solely of PvP, unfairness takes on more meaning.

My point was that a teacher of politics or philosophy would probably have been uncomfortable with the oversimplification "difficulty => fun," and would have felt the need to extrapolate. While a lack of difficulty will lead to futility and destroy enjoyment, too much difficulty will lead you to the same end - place is important in every good thing. After all, evil is nothing more than a good thing misplaced.


Ah, I see your point more clearly now.

Thank you. :rolleyes:


View PostModo44, on 20 January 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

This is exactly what happens in MWO when matches depend on luck (matchmaker draw), and you sit in the least self-sufficient mech the game offers.


Pffff. I hate luck, luck hates me, we have a mutual agreement. So it doesn't matter what I use!


View PostBuckminster, on 20 January 2014 - 12:32 PM, said:

True. But nothing is more fun than yelling "trolololololo" through the chat as you run around, the last one left, as your side creeps towards the inevitable cap win in Conquest. I got called some names for that. :(


Trolocust. Definitely some meme material here.


View PostModo44, on 20 January 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

Hey, I get your meaning, I own an Awesome. However, I would advise anyone who would listen to stay away. :(


Don't listen! ITS ALL SITH LIES! *Waves flag of falsity*

#36 Shar Wolf

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

View PostAaronWolf, on 20 January 2014 - 08:25 AM, said:

And I'm one of those people who plays Dark Souls/Demon Souls and loves it. Kinda masochistic of me...to be honest...

Haven't even tried those games, but I still have a copy of Dr. Wily's Revenge I pull out and play every now and then. ;)
(beat it once to..... once)

As for the Locust, it is sure at a very distinct disadvantage, but if I let that stop me, I wouldn't be getting made fun of for not running Meta builds would I? :)

#37 Amsro

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:33 AM

View PostAaronWolf, on 20 January 2014 - 08:25 AM, said:


Futility is only achieved though when the job or function is so hard that it is quite literally impossible. It is a futile action to do so from that point on. Like trying to jump over a 30ft wall. It just is not possible.

It is not impossible to do well with a Locust.

It is like taking a game, and raising the level from "Hardmode" to "Prepare to Die".

Don't expect to live everytime, but expect to have a blast dying.

And I'm one of those people who plays Dark Souls/Demon Souls and loves it. Kinda masochistic of me...to be honest...


Dark Souls II is coming soon! Epic games for sure. My Locusts are very similar in forgiveness to dark souls, one bad turn and your dead!

#38 AaronWolf

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 651 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:14 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 21 January 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

Haven't even tried those games, but I still have a copy of Dr. Wily's Revenge I pull out and play every now and then. ;)
(beat it once to..... once)

As for the Locust, it is sure at a very distinct disadvantage, but if I let that stop me, I wouldn't be getting made fun of for not running Meta builds would I? :D



MEGAMAN! WOO! *Brofist*


View PostAmsro, on 23 January 2014 - 12:33 AM, said:

Dark Souls II is coming soon! Epic games for sure. My Locusts are very similar in forgiveness to dark souls, one bad turn and your dead!


Oh I was so happy when I saw the E3 trailer... Wish I didin't have to get a Xbone/PSFloor to play. >_> Since I have been playing it on consoles for a long time. And Dark Souls port over to computer made me a little annoyed. :D

But yeah, it is a lot like it!

Locust is the equivalent of a Deprived imo. :unsure: No armor, basic junk and trying to live with the odds stacked against yah.

#39 Amsro

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

View PostAaronWolf, on 23 January 2014 - 07:14 AM, said:



MEGAMAN! WOO! *Brofist*




Oh I was so happy when I saw the E3 trailer... Wish I didin't have to get a Xbone/PSFloor to play. >_> Since I have been playing it on consoles for a long time. And Dark Souls port over to computer made me a little annoyed. :D

But yeah, it is a lot like it!

Locust is the equivalent of a Deprived imo. :unsure: No armor, basic junk and trying to live with the odds stacked against yah.


Dark Souls II is coming on PC sooner then Dark Souls did, I wouldn't burn money on a PS4/XBOX just yet.

#40 Emo Duck

    Member

  • PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 18 January 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

Locusts. Locusts. Loci are an entirely different things - but at least, unlike "Atlai," it's at least a word.


Just wanted to thank you for this. It doesn't help that MWO has "torsi" in one of its loading screen hints.





2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users