The Underrated Locust

4831 replies to this topic

#81 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:24 AM

View PostVaskadar, on 24 February 2014 - 11:18 PM, said:

The only variant that I found truly atrocious (and unredeemable) in my experience was the incredibly limited 3S.

Man everyone's giving the Locust 3S so many frowny faces it makes me want to try it. It doesn't seem all that impossible to cram a decent load-out into it.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e13898f1bdf2cdc

Yeah, that's not bad. . . but let's add a little pepper.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6201b8b96099638

There we go. 35 damage alpha traveling at the speed of a run-away kamikaze. Tissue paper armor? Fugget about it. You catch that twin PPC blast in the chest and you're the memory of a stain anyway. Better to burn brightly, am I right?.

Edited by no one, 26 February 2014 - 01:28 AM.

#82 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:13 PM

LRM Locust isn't so bad. Not for the damage you'll deal (you won't) but the missile lock warning seems to work well as crowd control. Doesn't work on veterans but you won't be going up against those for long in a Locust anyway.

#83 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

View Postno one, on 26 February 2014 - 01:24 AM, said:

Man everyone's giving the Locust 3S so many frowny faces it makes me want to try it. It doesn't seem all that impossible to cram a decent load-out into it.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e13898f1bdf2cdc

There we go. 35 damage alpha traveling at the speed of a run-away kamikaze. Tissue paper armor? Fugget about it. You catch that twin PPC blast in the chest and you're the memory of a stain anyway. Better to burn brightly, am I right?.

I like the 3S, I just couldn't get it to work with my style. On the other hand, my lancemate swears by it, and extols it above all other locusts.

#84 mbebe23

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

View PostAcierocolotl, on 25 February 2014 - 05:42 PM, said:

I've had decent success overall with my 3S by cramming 2x SRM4s--without Artemis--and a small laser in there (with an XL 190 engine of course), two tonnes of ammo give me 25 salvos.

Why not 4xSRM2? On short distance the missiles will hit the same location mostly and the reload time is shorter.

And additionally: throw out the lazor! Bring More Ammo! :( That will be pure fun :)

#85 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

View Postmbebe23, on 02 March 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

Why not 4xSRM2? On short distance the missiles will hit the same location mostly and the reload time is shorter.

And additionally: throw out the lazor! Bring More Ammo! :ph34r: That will be pure fun :huh:

Mbebe here ascribes to the "Go hard or go home"philosophy of mech-building.

#86 GlizzyGobbler98

LeBoeuf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

I noticed that most people get tunnel vision while pursuing my locust.

Edited by TheB33f, 04 March 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#87 Max Johnson

• Pip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 15 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

On my LCT-3S I just run a single large Pulse and forget about the missles.

Something like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=108&l=14d5578a43ea8a5a9f0d44e1247eab8ead9c2c49

Edited by Max Johnson, 04 March 2014 - 12:19 PM.

#88 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

View Postno one, on 26 February 2014 - 01:24 AM, said:

I like the way you think. But I improved it. Here.

No FF is necessary since you have no armor - you're just wasting critspace for no reason with it "installed." Remove FF, downgrade to XL170(you lose 5.5% of your speed - an insignificant difference), get rid of the pointless SL, and add another ton of ammo.

You get more shots. You run cooler since you have no SL - and even accounting for that, your build only has 1% more cooling efficiency over my modification. Ammo in arms to avoid getting blown up by critical hits, and DHS in arms as well to pad the ammo.

Strike happy.

#89 mbebe23

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

View PostBloodweaver, on 04 March 2014 - 11:49 AM, said:

Not even 1 point of armor? Holy crap! I must test that out definitely!

View PostMax Johnson said:

On my LCT-3S I just run a single large Pulse and forget about the missles.

You can make this build on the other Locusts so what is the point actually? Just asking.

#90 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

Strike happy.

Very nice. I'll have to invest in an XL 170. Low ammo per ton is the bane of many a light 'Mech.

Edited by no one, 04 March 2014 - 03:13 PM.

#91 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

Never-mind, I thought I was suicidal in my Locusts. Now I gotta go get me an XL 170 to try out this nightmare.

#92 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:35 PM

Just a tip for you guys: the XL170 is often the best engine for Locust builds. It feels a bit sacrilegious to not use the 190, since you then reach the game's highest possible 'mech speed. But the 170 opens up a lot more build options, on all three variants. It's kind of a sweet spot for the Locust.

That being said, I run the 190 exclusively on my -3M(the only Locust I kept after Mastering all three variants). I just don't feel right without it :rolleyes:

#93 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:08 PM

Sadly the Commandos can move faster than the Locust with max engine size (170 kph vs. 150kph)

#94 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:22 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 04 March 2014 - 11:08 PM, said:

Sadly the Commandos can move faster than the Locust with max engine size (171 kph vs. 169kph)

FTFY.

Locusts may be slower - but they give up a bit less for that speed.
Not that that is much of an advantage mind you, but the Locust needs all the advantages it can get. :rolleyes:

Of course if we want to get really nitpicky, it would be 171.1 vs 169.3.

On the other hand I have not noticed any particular increase in survivability with the jump from ~150 to ~170 like there is between ~130 to ~150, so it really isn't that much of an advantage to the Commando over the other light mechs.
(In my opinion and experience at least)

#95 Vanguard319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:48 PM

I do very well with the 3S, set up around 2 LRM 5s and a med laser. The thin armor isn't that big a deal to me since I'm a highly mobile missile boat, and am fast enough to keep up with/escape from other lights. The mobility is really useful in broken terrain, especially when firing from a hull-down position, and those LRMs can do a fair amount of damage, especially if your target is unsure of where you are firing from. I usually carry an artillery strike and a UAV for modules, the UAV is handy for those times I find enemy mechs while scouting, and lets me spot targets for friendlies, as well as for myself, and the artillery lets me do some real damage, usually saved for hi-value targets of opportunity.

#96 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:51 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 04 March 2014 - 11:22 PM, said:

On the other hand I have not noticed any particular increase in survivability with the jump from ~150 to ~170 like there is between ~130 to ~150.

I agree.

The 170 speed is better for scouting, that's about it.

#97 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:29 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 04 March 2014 - 11:51 PM, said:

The 170 speed is better for scouting, that's about it.

I'm still using a 180XL in my Commando (except DK which gets a 200 std)
It was the sweet spot I found for me at the peak of the Raven's power.
(fast enough to be where I wanted to, light enough to carry enough weaponry to scare the Ravens away)

....I am also using that same engine in my Locust.

#98 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:03 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 05 March 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

I'm still using a 180XL in my Commando (except DK which gets a 200 std)
It was the sweet spot I found for me at the peak of the Raven's power.
(fast enough to be where I wanted to, light enough to carry enough weaponry to scare the Ravens away)

....I am also using that same engine in my Locust.

Nice, I like the 195 more for commandos, but that's mostly for my 2D to be honest. However, I'm curious to see your DK set up with the STD 200.

#99 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:37 AM

In the hands of a good pilot any mech can be good. I have spent time in the locust and I have had sucess with them on occasion, but in general I wince at the wasted team slot every time I see a locust. Top speed 170 KPH in no way makes up for the Locusts defiiciencies relative to ANY other light available. I mastered each of the locust varients and found them to be worse than horrid.

#100 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

View PostTheB33f, on 04 March 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

I noticed that most people get tunnel vision while pursuing my locust.

This was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:
Especially the Mavrick ending. :(
Freaken yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the reason most people "poo poo" the Locust is because they have no Idea how to mix wits, luck and shear strategy together and bend it into pure exhilaration.

Few pilots have the absence of ego and bold self confidence it takes to die and win by the Locust.

You are going to die...a lot so you better pull up your pantz Sally and buy some brass to fill your pocket.

Fast, audacious, sexy and not for the light hearted, the Locust pilot cares not about winning but lives for the fight and flight.

I have respect for every Locust pilot because it means you have enough lust and confidence to take one of the most hunted and easiest to kill mechs in the game and you understand how exhilarating a kill can be.

HI, my name is Sally Pitbull and I am such a great mech pilot! I average 6 kills and 500 damage a game in my pink, skirted combat boot Cataphract skull crusher. So Look out you idiots I am dropping in to a PUG near you! :ph34r:

" <_< Yeah, barf! Unimpressive you pink panted protuberance. "

Hi my name is Dirk Arrow, I pilot a Locust. I average 1 kill a game, 400 damage and survive 93% of the matches.
My greatest achievements are not being seen as I rip into the crotch of a ripe Cataphract or baiting an ambush.
Don't let that one kill I get be you!

" B) Impressive! and :blush: embarrassing for the mech pilot who got killed by Dirk.! "

Locust pilots...I salute thee. I stand on my Hunch back at attention and bow as you streak by bros! :wub:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users