The Noble Quickdraw, And Why, Contrary To Popular Opinion, It Is Not A Bad Chassis

21 replies to this topic

#21 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:58 AM

Nice write-up. As far as it being the king of fast, jump-capable dual-PPC builds, that's a matter of taste. I'll still take the Griffin every time. It sacrifices the hull-down capability for a hull-left. I prefer speeds under 90 but full 7 jets. Survivability vs the Quickdraw is very pilot dependent, but is harder in the GRF. But your design is very solid and one I'll try again some day (I believe I was happy with it when the mech first launched, but since it was sold.

#22 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:33 AM

This entire thread amuses me to no end for one reason, and one reason alone:

The QKD-5K was the Quickdraw I sold off because I didn't have a good use for it. It was the other two I liked and kept.

Now, I'll never claim to be a standard player by anyone's measurement, so it's not that it's totally unexpected- but it is funny to me that so many people are proclaiming the 5K to be the only worthwhile Quickdraw.

I've had quite a few fun times with both the other QKDs- it was my favorite of the 'mechs that were available when I started playing the game for several reasons (mostly its speed compared to tonnage, possession of jump jets, and generally underestimated nature). It's the 5K I was unable to get a handle on, because energy weapons are hot. Really, really hot.

I've actually got my 4G Quickdraw kitted out with an LRM-20 and a pair of ER Large Lasers in the torso, and use the seven jump jets to get into weird/unreachable spots so I can lay in supporting fire and poke -just- the head of the thing over a ridge to spot enemies for tactical purposes. Doing that means running a lighter engine and slightly under-armored for the sake of heat sinks, but it's plenty of fun and doesn't do too badly overall.

My 4H, of course, is four medium lasers and a trio of SRM 4-packs- and runs just barely under 100 KPH. That machine is the one where I learned what it is to be an ambush 'mech in this game, a tactic that I'm still working towards mastery of and feel more players need to get a grip on.

I think that's just as key to using the QKD as being able to use its height for its advantages at the same time as acknowledging the weaknesses of the machine's size.

When running a fast, jumping heavy (or even a fast non-jumping heavy) with a load of weapons that really taxes its heat dissipation, the thing you need to remember above all else is not to -stay- in combat. My best games in that 4H Quickdraw come when I use my speed and jump jets to get to places I'm not supposed to be, and then either jump something from behind and run away to come back from a completely different direction, or blow through the enemy formation from behind to cause a moment of raw confusion and prompt my opponents to turn around (thus exposing their backs to my allies). It doesn't require the use of PPCs or even hill-humping or poptarting- it just requires a different way of functioning than poptarting, sniping, or standing-and-shooting.

It's this speed and mentality that give me the most fun and best performances with my Quickdraws, and I will continue to stand by -all three- chassis as being worthwhile 'mechs (even if I haven't yet figured out a 5K loadout I actually like and do well with).

-QKD-CR0

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users