Improved Damage Modeling (Suggestion)

8 replies to this topic

#1 StompingOnTanks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

Well, the title is pretty self-explanatory. Since mechs will be given cockpit glass effects soon, why not improve the damage modeling as a whole some point down the road? Make smashed-up mechs look really, really smashed up!

My suggestions:

- Critical Damage Modeling: When a mech loses all armor from a component, bits of armor fall off the visual model, opening up big holes revealing the mech's working bits underneath. Burn through an enemy's CT armor, and they have a huge hole in their chest with the engine exposed inside; critically damage an opponent's leg and armor plates blow off showing the leg actuators with wires and myomers dangling out; break through an enemy's Head armor and the cockpit glass looks broken or smashed in, etc. etc. You get the point. Of course, losing armor bits might change the visual profile of the mech slightly if really big chunks are coming off, but it wouldn't have any affect on hitboxes.

- Fire, Sparks, Electrical bolts: This goes hand in hand with the Critical Damage modeling. Along with the critical damage modeling mentioned above, small parts of the mech would appear to be on fire, sparks would come out of damaged wires, and electrical bolts (the blue lines or whatever they're called, I'm not sure if there's a proper term for them) would run up and down crippled limbs or torso sections of the mech, or shoot out of holes in limbs.

Not only would damage modeling like this improve immersion and look pretty, it would also provide a tactical benefit, as you could examine an enemy's damage state by simply looking at their mech and seeing what looks damaged and what doesn't.

What do you think?

Edited by StompingOnTanks, 14 January 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#2 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

Yeah, such visual improvements will be nice, once other priorities are out of the way for the devs teams that work in those areas.

My only concern is the potential for such detail to affect PC performance, but it would be nice to have.

#3 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

Hm, I was thinking effects like smoke and sparks could be turned off under the Graphics options for those of us with lower end PCs.

#4 fandre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:50 AM

Would be nice to see damage on the mech in this way.

#5 Aim-Bot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:27 AM

Thumbs up

#6 SuperBroHeroFella

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:30 AM

Altough this would be nice it's probably waaay down the list.

Same with

- little people running around
- footprints in snow
- destructable environment

#7 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:34 AM

The only problem I have with damage, visually, is sometimes the texture is just a smudge/blur texture on the hit location (bug in some way) and blowing off a side torso section doesn't actually make the side section blow off. It just makes the arm fall off.

If the arm is already taken off and you blow off that side's torso section, the damage looks no different.

Edited by Zyllos, 15 January 2014 - 08:35 AM.

#8 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

View PostPilot of the {LT-MOB-25} Pit, on 15 January 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

Altough this would be nice it's probably waaay down the list.

Same with

- little people running around
- footprints in snow
- destructable environment

:) If you turn up your graphics you will get 2 of those 3. Mechs leave footprints in the snow and the little people you want to see running around we call "Light" Mechs. ;)

#9 HUBA

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:54 AM

Very very important, show which leg is destroyed. I always go for the wrong leg ;)

But it would not only help to find a target it also helps to see the sate of your team (unfortunately the only way to see it)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users