357 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

This thread is to cover any qualitative feedback regarding UI 2.0. If you would like to report specific bugs with the preview, please use the New Issues thread.

Please follow the questionnaire provided. This is to help us better organize and process your feedback after the test.

1) What is it that you like about the UI 2.0 Preview? (Please enter as many items as you wish.)
2) What do you like least about the UI 2.0 Preview?
3) What are your impressions of the Social system in the Front-End?
4) What are your impressions of the Store menus in the Front-End?
5) What are your impressions of the in-game interface?
6) Any other comments or concerns?

Edited by Niko Snow, 17 January 2014 - 09:12 AM.

#2 Joe3142

Slothstronaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

Still find it confusing to use, especially when configuring a mech.

Like the full screen though

3d preview before buying a mech is also good, but the list is a bit overwhelming.

Also finding the filter to see all mechs was a challenge.

Edited by Joe3142, 16 January 2014 - 10:09 AM.

#3 fluffypinkbunny

Best Fluffy Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 583 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

Work in progress

1) What is it that you like about the UI 2.0 Preview?
I like the colors and the layout, lots of information spread out in easy to grasp areas.

*The fog in the bottom of the mechbay obscures the white text of the mech loadout description, cant read firepower/heatmgmt/toonage/jumpdistance because of fog.
*The mechloadout description in the mechlab doesn't show the number of heatsinks on a mech, Don't know if I have the required 10 to launch or not.
*In the mechlab, when configuring cockpit items, the display in the lower right is nice, but I would like to be able to remove items by clicking on them in the lower right display, not having to find them in the list of all mounted or what ever items.
*In the mechlab, I would like a strip all weapons or strip all armor, or strip ALL button, to help with configuring mechs.
*In the mech lab when mousing over or selecting a weapon I would like a readout showing weapon damage/ range/ heat/ghost heat
*In the mech lab when mousing over or selecting an engine I would like a readout showing potential speed on the mech, or at least how many internal heatsinks and heatsink slots it has.
*The mech loadout description text is really small.
*Inventory being under the home button seems odd, shouldn't it be under the mechlab, so when you find out you don't have enough money you don't have to switch tabs to see something?
*In the mechlab configuring weapon grouping, there's no set chainfire option
*In the mechlab, under select a mech there is a trial tab, Great, but why do the trial mechs then show up in their weight class. Maybe a filter option for Owned, trials, and all, or just remove trials from their weights, and only show up in the Trial tab.
*In the mechlab, under modules, there should be a dropdown option of Display Module location. So I can see which mech has which Module, and maybe move them on the fly.
*In the mechlab, when buying mechs it doesn't display how many of a mech I own, like I know I have a spider 5d, but it doesn't display owned # like it does in the mech store.

*The social button is to small in my opinion.
*I can't see my friend Mellowseven, we've tried to request friends, no options, but Reno Blade was able to request/ add both of us. (fixed by relogging)
*After the message window is open for chatting, there is no way to close it, no X button upper right corner
*With a message window open, if you close the social tab, you don't see any text that the person you are chatting with has typed. (You can only chat with the window open, you can't close it, and look for a response later)

*When buying a mech, there is no preview of hardpoints. I don't know which locust has the lasers and which has the missiles.
*When buying a mech, I can't sort by weight or premium, I have to scroll through the list just to find a mech, turns into a wall of color/text.
*Clicking on store>Battlemechs>any mech I can click on the mech and highlight it, but theres no readout like there is in the mechbay.

Edited by fluffypinkbunny, 16 January 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#4 Ransack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

1) What is it that you like about the UI 2.0 Preview? (Please enter as many items as you wish.)
Nice view of my mech.
Can see in full screen

Mechlab is horribly convoluted
You mean the little hard to find button? Not impressed

lotta pretty pictures. It looks good

Did not get that far yet. will revisit after work
I really don't know what to say. I really expected more. Perhaps there is a golden nugget that I am missing while remotely connected to my home machine, but seriously the best thing about it in my opinion is the graphics.

#5 keith

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

still no double click to remove compents from mechs. makes it harder to figure out. would make more sense to double click off instead of draging off.

#6 Fetladral

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 525 posts
  • LocationAsgard

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

View Postfluffypinkbunny, on 16 January 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

Work in progress

I like the colors and the layout, lots of information spread out in easy to grasp areas.

*The fog in the bottom of the mechbay obscures the white text of the mech loadout description, cant read firepower/heatmgmt/toonage/jumpdistance because of fog.
*The mechloadout description in the mechlab doesn't show the number of heatsinks on a mech, Don't know if I have the required 10 to launch or not.
*In the mechlab, when configureing cockpit items, the display in the lower right is nice, but I would like to be able to remove items by clicking on them in the lower right display, not having to find them in the list of all mounted or what ever items.
*In the mechlab, I would like a strip all weapons or strip all armor, or strip ALL button, to help with configureing mechs.
*In the mech lab when mousing over or selecting a weapon I would like a readout showing weapon damage/ range/ heat/ghost heat
*In the mech lab when mousing over or selecting an engine I would like a readout showing potentinal speed on the mech, or at least how many internal heatsinks and heatsink slots it has.

*The social button is to small in my opinion.
*I can't see my friend Mellowseven, we've tried to request friends, no options, but Reno Blade was able to request/ add both of us.
*After the message window is open for chatting, there is no way to close it, no X button upper right corner

*When buying a mech, there is no preview of hardpoints. I don't know which locust has the lasers and which has the missiles.

What she said.Plus the text for items (name of item) is still pretty small and smushed together. I'm about 3-4 feet away from my monitor. I should not be having trouble reading the name of an item.

Edited by Fetladral, 16 January 2014 - 10:27 AM.

#7 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

A couple of menu items are in unintuitive locations. A hassle to use
The inventory is in Home screen instead of somewhere in Mechlab
Testing grounds not under "play now"

Why the placement of these items are problematic:

Inventory is in unintuitive location. If you are in the middle of customizing a mech and you want to sell something from the inventory. you'd have to click out of mechlab, go to home screen click to inventory and sell it. and once you go back to mechlab to resume ediding, the mechlab resets and all your progress is lost.

Inventory should be moved under Mechlab>Configure>inventory
or Mechlab>Inventory

In order to go into testing ground with a mech you want you'd have to go back to mech lab, select mech, go back to home screen, and select testing grounds. Which is a couple of extra steps than to get into a game normally.

Edited by Jin Ma, 16 January 2014 - 10:28 AM.

#8 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

It doesn't switch between windowed+fullscreen.

1, No auto-refill modules!!! It was promised.
2, It takes wayyy too many clicks to refill modules, and its a big problems since there isn't an autorefill. Leads up to 3:
3, A button to jump instantly configure the currently selected mech would be VERY helpful.

Looking great, just don't grey out the screen and make everything inactive, let me mess around while I'm overseeing my group/chat windows.

Can't get in a match, Searching for minutes >>> Network request timed out.
Just make some elo ceiling please, its getting old.

Edited by Chavette, 16 January 2014 - 11:06 AM.

#9 Darkblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 370 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

Work in progress

a) Cannot skip animations using spacebar
b- when buying skills the keyboard barely helps you, you're forced to do everything by mouse (for instance: you click on skill and get a Yes/No menu, the No is selected if you hit enter, but you cannot choose yes with the keys or just hit Y)
c) basic/master/elite badges should show on all screens (specially in the mechlab), not only on the skill selection area
d) cammo interface is horrendous, you have to cycle colors instead of having a palette and just clicking on the desired color. Almost unbearable to use.
e) The Mech's data card we see on mouseover in Mechlab (either on owned mechs or the ones we want to buy) should REALLY be expanded to include: hardpoints, current installed loadout (weapon, engine, modules, hs, equipment, ammo, everything...)

a) I don't like that Gamemode doesn't show on group window. In fact the group leader chooses it on launch with no chance for the groupmates to leave if the don't like it.

a) a bit confusing, specially since you have no way to know what a mech will bring in terms of weapons. Also, if you don't own enough Mechbays you have to go elsewhere to buy it (when a player tries to buy a new mech with no empty mechbays, the next menu should have a cancel button and one that offers the bay for 300 MC, be smart)

a) Problem: critical damage text is clipping with the red arrows

a) Problem: the text of improved uav is wrong (just says it increases by 15 seconds)

Edited by Darkblood, 16 January 2014 - 11:10 AM.

#10 Super Don Quixote

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

My biggest issue with the current UI is there is no way to see which modules are on which mechs other than clicking through every single mech. In UI 2.0, you have created an inventory list (which is AWESOME btw), but sadly the module list only shows modules that are current unequipped. I beg of you, please put equipped modules in this list!!! And list the mech that it is currently equipped on.

I know this may streamline a process you may wish to leave alone in order to encourage people to buy more modules, but the fact is people just won't throw away cbills like that. They will continue to be frustrated searching through all their mechs for that 6M cbill module they want to re-use over and over.

#11 RedEagle86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

What is it that you like about the UI 2.0 Preview? (Please enter as many items as you wish.)
  • That I was able to play.
  • Very polished-looking
  • Ability to spin my mech around at any time, don't have to be changing it in order to do so.
  • As above, being able to spin a mech around before purchase (to see what the paint looks like on the back, etc)

a. No way to find my purchased and mounted modules

b. Now the mechlab doesn't tell you how many free slots you have and their location

c. Double-clicking items doesn't work in mechlab for adding/removing items

d. Doesn't tell you the loadout of the mech in a textual form as currently done.

e. Only way to save the mech in loadout is to use the ambiguous 'checkout' button - even when not purchasing, only changing loadouts or armour values

f. Switching to Pilot Tree from mechlab now erases changes made in mechlab without warning

g. 'Invalid' displays instead of 'Too heavy' or 'Hardpoint full'

h. Switching locations on mechlab,would work better if it kept you in the same sub-category (ammo in right leg, switching to left leg doesn't put you in 'equipment', but instead in ammo'

i. Wishing for a separate settings slider for volume control in the mechlab - the beeping is getting really, really annoying.

j. Needs to be an armour overlay that's separate from the equipment - to reduce armour on 2 different components, only one menu/screen should need to be utilized instead of one per component.

k. Friends list doesn't work as intended - One friend appeared, even though 4 were on. Invites were sent but never received.

l. When dropping, occasionally (1 out of 2 drops this sample) some members of group dropped and others were left in mechlab.

m. Social button tends to need double-clicking

n. Colour and camo - Having to scroll through every camo and every colour instead of colour grouping or something more user-friendly. (Best described as playing on Nintendo in the 90's *bad stuff*)

• Pre-game, cannot chat having clicked ready button then clicking on chatting options (all, team, lance) – cursor blinks but does not accept input from keyboard
  • In-game, like the cockpit glass, as long as dirtiness is all that occurs. If cracks, keep in mind that BattleMechs use Transparisteel– transparent steel slab.

• Comment on the test server times - needs more time! Look at ESO beta testing, or something - so that everyone has a chance to try. Especially for bug reporting - if a bug is found, there may not be time to reproduce it with only 2 hours at a time.

Edited by RedEagle86, 16 January 2014 - 11:47 AM.

#12 SjurWarEagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

I took my first look into the store and well... if this would be an normal online store, I would never use it again.
It's confusing, inconsistent and unintuitive.

Don'T get me wrong, I'm happy to see some progress, but this... well needs the quality control of a designer!

Some things I would like to see changed:
- remove the beep on mouse over
- remove the "owned" string if I don't own the mech, yes there is a 0 next to it, but it's more readable if the "owned" wouldn't be there at all
- change the color of the buttons during equipement from yellow to green if I have the item on stock, then change it to yellow if I have to buy some and to red+disabled if I could use it but don't have the money for it
- use the progress-badges all the time, don't switch from a leftsided "basic" to a right sided "star", just be consistent in the icons
- check the font-size, I'm running at 1980x1050 and most of the numbers need to be about 4 steps bigger to be readable
- my phonixmechs have the C for champion mech, technically this might be correct, but for acknoledgement of the investment I would like to see a little phonix-symbol to make clear, these are something special in my storage
- when selling the mech there is a simple list, no grid of mechs, change this to a grid so every display looks the same
- when buying a mechbay I have no information of how may I posess, only how many empty there are
- when buying boosters, there isn't any description what these are
- when buying mechs, there isn't any description what these are, WTF?!
- please hide blocked entries in my friends list, there is a reason I block someone

But some positive points:

- thanks for the testing-money
- the cockpit-glass may look fine if the oppacity is reduced like it was promised in the game I just had

I cannot say anything about the game itself, every game crashed wile fighting.

#13 JudgeDeathCZ

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

View Postkeith, on 16 January 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

still no double click to remove compents from mechs. makes it harder to figure out. would make more sense to double click off instead of draging off.

If we cry about it so long they maybe re-add it.

Also I miss mech info about where are my weapons and where are my heatsinks.

#14 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

Hopefully a smurfy style mechlab is coming

#15 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

View PostJudgeDeathCZ, on 16 January 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

If we cry about it so long they maybe re-add it.

Also I miss mech info about where are my weapons and where are my heatsinks.

That's coming with the mech details page

#16 Rubidiy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

1. fullscreen, weapon group assignment in menu, can see chosen mechs in the group.
2. Cann't see installed engines and modules while browsing through mechs(vital), menu noise should be able to be muted, letters in mechbay are way too small.
3. poor state
4. poor state
5. With Scaleform you can achieve much more. Your UI is visually very basic. Unfortunately I couldn't find it logical and easy to use.
most convenient mechbay is the one that shows entire loadout of your mech (smurfy-style).

Edited by Rubidiy, 16 January 2014 - 11:45 AM.

#17 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

I don't like not being able to browse a list of color categories in the camo spec lab. Instead you cycle through them with arrows. You should have just stuck with the design you had.

#18 abokor

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

It's certainly more professional looking than the original UI

Mechlab is confusing and hard to use. Not very intuitive really. Go for a more visual approach. It took me at least 60 seconds to determine what I was even looking at, let alone the time it would probably take to rebuild a whole mech loadout. It's still easier/better to go on smurfy, build my mech, and then copy what I did into the mechlab. This isn't conducive to new players getting into the game... especially because the only reason I knew what I was looking at is because I've been playing since closed beta. The mechlab as it is in UI 2.0 is worse than the original mechlab.

MUCH improvement. Unfortunately, i don't know anyone who plays anymore, let alone anyone who would do this test .. so I couldn't actually invite anyone. But the pop-up/out windows were much better and less confusing. It felt like a process to start a group before. Really, it's the same amount of work (mostly) but your visual progress is much better represented, making it feel less daunting. Also, make the social button more predominantly noticeable. I forgot all about it until I was reading the questionnaire.

Not much to look at there, unless I missed something. If you guys mean the mech list that you can purchase from... maybe differentiating it from the player's own mech list may be a bit more beneficial. More of a visual difference.

N/A

I very much like the was the skill trees are setup. It immediately told me that I had only mastered 3 mech types (I actually thought I had mastered more, the UI actually immediately and visually gave me information I didn't get from the other UI)

#19 DeathofSelf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 655 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

The inventory I guess
-The mechlab is convoluted, everything is buried, please look at the "smurfy mechlab" and do something similar, the way it is now, there is too much clicking back and forth.
-Can't see how many free crit slots I have
-Can you seriously still not organize your mechs? Why are my Hunchbacks, for example, not all next to eachother?
-Why are trial mechs showing up in my "owned mechs"?
-Why can I not rotate my active mech in the Home section?
-The skill trees should only show you owned mechs (or at least have an option for only owned mechs).
3) What are your impressions of the Social system in the Front-End?\
What social system? It's the same as it is now.
No feedback as to whether you are buying with MC or C-Bills
Stop trying to make to make everything "shiny" and focus on make things easier. Nothing about UI2.0 is better than what we have now. It just looks pretty but really it's just more confusing.

Edited by DeathofSelf, 16 January 2014 - 10:54 AM.

#20 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:42 AM

When browsing mechs in the mechbay, previewing a mech no longer shows what it has equipped. That's annoying for a number of things, but it's downright frustrating when I am trying to find where I left my modules.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users