357 replies to this topic

#61 mechbane

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 99 posts
  • Locationlondon

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

1) What is it that you like about the UI 2.0 Preview? = the mech selection screen is a lot easyer to use but.....

2) What do you like least about the UI 2.0 Preview? = not able to see at a glace what weppons are on a mech and where

3) What are your impressions of the Social system in the Front-End? = ok so far

4) What are your impressions of the Store menus in the Front-End? = nice to look at but maybe a little confusing for newbies

5) What are your impressions of the in-game interface? = didnt see much of a diff TBH

6) Any other comments or concerns?[color=#959595] = not being able to see wepons on a mech annoyed the hell outa me, the glass effect is nice but also annoying. i just think its overly complicated to use, way to many drop downs for each limb on the mech, it was so much better and easyer to use before.[/color]

#62 Ralziel

• Pip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMoster

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

1. Generally very nice in appearance. Seems to be quite smooth. Like the variety of stats and such you can see on the mechs. Quick buttons for configuring owned mechs and purchasing of trial mechs right there and plain to see.

2. Mechlab itself is quite messy. I know the "All" tab shows everything but it could be laid out better. Who wants to be clicking on the weights they're looking for all the time? Slows down the how quickly players can access their mechs.
2. Trial mechs lumped in with everything else migh be nice for people who don't own mechs, but I don't use them, and I'm sure alot of others don't. They should be on their own row, either at the very top, or very bottom, so it is CLEAR that they are trial mechs and not part of your actual library.
2. Founder's mechs being stuck in with the other champion mechs seems a bit daft too. They are founder's mechs. Aren't these something special? I get that they probably shouldn't have their own tab. Programming wise it's alot of effort for a relatively small portion of the current community, but still. Seems odd.
2. Not being able to see mech loadouts without going into configure. It seems we've gained alot of interesting information while losing all the vital information in the immediate sense. Again, this comes down to minimum amount of clicks for how CLEAR it is for the player and how quick it is to navigate. Being able to see at a glance what you've got equipped on your mech is good if you've been off for a little time and just wanna see your catapult still has LRM or SRM for example.

3. I think it's a flashier looking version of the current social system. I think it needs work. Brought into a separate box like an unattached chat box it would be a better function. This would also make it easier to use mid game to talk to party members or friends.

4. Really nice. Actually, the most impressive thing on display for me. Sale items right at the front for quick browsing is cool. But as with the mechlab, it seems to be a bit sloppy. The limited and normal editions of the Grid Iron hunchback aren't next to each other? Strange unless it's a top to bottom to right top system. Slightly messy looking. But otherwise, like it alot. Nice to just have the quick click buttons there though. Would also be quite nice for the option to go straight to configuring your mech rather than stay in the store, as I think most people will be saving for their shiny new catapult and either want to reequip or jump straight into battle.
[Edit: Also got so excited that I could buy things I completely missed there is no information on the mechs. Just a buy button. Why is it even missing a simple hardpoint list? HUGE oversight. This needs to be fixed as a priority]

5. The interface is appealing and clean and, while slightly unresponsive at the moment, I think it is alot easier to navigate and see where everything is. Though I didn't find the chat function right off. It's tucked away a bit, no? It is nice to have a simple button for logging out, and asking which kind of match to be put into when clicking Play is great as I often join all, when all I want to do is bonk some heads. Though, I can see that after a few times of this it will get annoying. Should be a way to set a permenency, unless I'm just missing it.

6. Would be nice when clicking configure on a mech, that you're opened into loadout straight off the bat, rather than being asked to click again on one of the options. Not a huge problem, just reducing player clicks and time spent in menus. Always a good thing from a design standpoint.

Other than all that, thanks alot once again. Doing a great job. Can't wait for the finished product. It's looking fantastic so far.

Edited by Ralziel, 16 January 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#63 BFett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

1) What is it that you like about the UI 2.0 Preview? (Please enter as many items as you wish.)
I liked the way I could set groups with the mouse, I like the look of the home screen, and I like the look of the chat interface.

2) What do you like least about the UI 2.0 Preview?
I least like the mech configuration screen. I dislike this so much so that I am likely to leave the game if this interface goes live.

3) What are your impressions of the Social system in the Front-End?
Good, although I don't know if it works or not. I was unable to test it out besides sending a chat message to a friend who didn't respond.

4) What are your impressions of the Store menus in the Front-End?
Fair, I never have liked those banner advertisements.

5) What are your impressions of the in-game interface?
A little hard to read due to the font type.

6) Any other comments or concerns?
Please fix the mech Load-out screen! Look at smurfy and the examples I provided in the last feedback topic. I will leave the game if this is not fixed when UI 2.0 comes out!

Owned cockpit items appear and disappear from item list if they are equipped to a mech. Changing tabs from standing to hanging is the only way to make currently equipped items reappear.
Camo specs are difficult to navigate through since categories are no longer selected through point and click. This makes cycling through colors a longer process.
Unsure how to rename my mech.
Unable to view XP on previously owned mechs that are not currently in my possession.

#64 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

View PostNiko Snow, on 15 January 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

1) What is it that you like about the UI 2.0 Preview? (Please enter as many items as you wish.)

What did I like about 2.0?: Overall I think it looks great, Though difficult to figure out at first, once one gets the hang of it, the amount of information given about a mech is abundant
Also, once configuring a mech, I really liked the way to break it down by item type you wanted to equip.
Sell feature in Inventory is very cool, would like the ability to purchase there as well.

What did I dislike about 2.0?? Absolutely not way to configure a joystick in the settings. Alternate mapping for buttons does not work. The hover/click noise gets annoying after about 30 seconds. Also, disabling tooltips in Settings did not disable tooltips

Social system: While on the surface looks cool, was completely broken. (Social tests were conducted with around 10 people on TeamSpeak)
Social button: Needs to be more obvious, this is, after all, a social game.

Friends online: Is either slow or inaccurate. People wouldn't show up who were online. people showed online who were not. Also, would not show ,accurately, existing friends, people who are on my friends list, wouldn't show and sending them friend invites gives no notification that they are already your friend. No notification that a friend request has been sent to those who were not already on friends list.

Message system: slow or not working at all, sent several messages to people who did not receive them, no notification of messages received when on home page, only when in social tab, and as I said, was completely inconsistent.

Group function: Inconsistent. Of 10 group requests I sent, only one was received. Creating a group of 1 then launching causes CTD. Player in Training Grounds shows as online and not deployed.

Leave Group: does not show one as having left a group.

Store: I like that it shows time remaining on a sale mech: Would be nice to filter store in the same way that you can filter Mechlab.

Impressions of Front End: On the whole, I think it's a move in the right direction. Development focus between now and release needs to be focused on the social feature as apparently it's completely broken.

Impressions of In-Game: Without being able to interface with the Joystick, I was unable to experience much in game all all movement is tied to it. Show stopper for me. Also, when leaving a match before it's finished, mech stayed in match for over 5 minutes after match was resolved,before it was returned to the mechlab.

Comments/Concerns:
Social and Joystick needs to be resolved as these interfaces are non-existent or completely broken.
Would like the ability to Purchase in addition to Sell in the inventory tab.

Thanks for the test guys.

Edited by Roadbeer, 16 January 2014 - 12:11 PM.

#65 Ravic

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

I'm totally disappointed with the mechlab part of the new UI and that's why I only wish to feedback on that. I think the whole thing should be about a freakin' awesome mechlab because that is where the players spend most of their time when they are not destroying tons of steel and iron.

I'm trying to be understanding here, I really am, but the first look on the new mechlab has just annihilated any real hopes I had for this UI 2.0. If this is by design so someone actually tought this is a "good spot to show off", then my only hope now is that before it's full release there will be some major overhaul... :'(

The sad list:

1) Loadout screen:
- It starts with the center torso and lists all of the engines available on the left:
Those little pictures of the equipments takes up half of the screen and it's so bad design in many ways, that my first tought was: "There was nobody around who actually looked at this?!"
Who cares so much about these black and white little pictures of the equipments to actually design the UI to show them this way? This part of the mech lab is not about this!
These should be a well readable text-only lists with a good looking and well readable popup window when I hover the mouse above one of them to show me the actual stats. Other than that the only information I need in the list is the name and is it equipable on my mech or not. (eg: STD ENGINE 250, red colored text if not equipable and if I hover the mouse over it the popup shows the stats in red which are making it unequipable on my mech)

- The active mech model placement is horrible on the right side, it's totally feels like it's some fancy background and that's it. Why not place it in the middle and show the equipments of all the pieces on the actual critical slots and hardpoints, all at once? This screen is all about the MECH, not the equipment list! There is an "inventory screen" for the equipments...

I could easily imagine some kickass looking exploding-figure about the given piece of the mech when I click on them, like the arms and legs goes detached from the torso while I equip stuff on them and when I click on the "back" button it all comes together again to make me able to observe my mech in it's full glory (but all of the equipments and slots are shown at this time as well, it's only happening in the background).
Or just forget fancy and think of "useful" and place the mech model in the middle and show all the equipments on all the critical slots and that's it. Not to mention the time it takes to manouver around the pieces of the mech...
There is a reason why everybody likes smurfy's editor: finally a place where you can see your mech equipment as a complete set and read actually useful information from it!

You can see where is your free slots are and the armor points so easily and there is a full statistics list of the mech with a VERY READABLE font size and color.

In my opinion the whole concept of showing only one part of the mech (like "center torso"), no matter how fancy it looks, should be avoidet at all costs.

- Every stastics on the mechlab screens are so little and barely noticable. It's look like some "fake-planet-statistics-on-a-random-display" in a bad sci-fi movie. There are surely other guys around like me who likes to min-max their mechs, likes to play with the equipments until the mech is perfect! (or they think it is)
For guys like us there is a big need for statistics and clearly visible data on what has changed on the mech after equiping something.

TL;DR:
The mech lab is slow to use, hard to get information out of it, make it all about the mech and it's stats, take the mech model to the center of the screen and show all the critical slots all together and only a list of the equipments with popup stat windows.

Sorry for the wall of text.

-Ravic.

#66 CHH Badkarma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 831 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

I like that it is full screen. Nice to be able to see my mechs full size so to speak

It is overly complicated. It could really use a loadout overview like the current live UI

it works. simple.

same as above

need improvement.

Seems like things can still be streamlined. also took a major FPS hit, but I am assuming that is just a result of it being a test server.

Edited by Jason Radick, 16 January 2014 - 02:26 PM.

#67 Deathsani

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

It will allow the dev's to focus on parts of the game I care about
The overall feel is clumsy and I can't exit the game without two different menus to select,
I didn't investigate much, looks vaguely better than the mess you have now.
I'm sure you will sell lots of things
About the same, you have improved little in the portion of the game that I care about the most. Additionally, without joystick support it was difficult to test without the discomfort of adapting to the keyboard.
It's done, hooray! Now please give me the parts of the game that are interesting. Please, pretty please?

#68 Mazgazine1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

Its pretty much a slightly more stable version of the other UI preview. None of any of the suggestions given in the original preview were used at all, the loadout is still a mess.

It needs the MECH in the middle with an overlay of all the hard points. on the right should be a list of the equipment. There should also be a section explaining general information include things like GHOST HEAT.

What the hell are you guys working on with this UI what did you guys do for the last month? Where is the strip mech parts button that should have been in there last time?

Why can't I double click on a mech to get to the load out? Why can't I double click an item to add or remove it? Why can't I clic on the mech to move to that part of the load out (which would be needless if the load out was always visible for every location).

Also at 1920x1080 the screen was unreadable like the text was exactly in a spot that parts of the text were invisible. I will try to put up a screenshot later - but my 1080p monitor could not view this interface in 1080p....

#69 Haree78

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 89 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

Patched up and loaded in to the mech lab.

After a short couple of minutes my Video Card fan had spun up to maximum speed, at a volume I had never heard it get to before. Panicking a little bit I went to the game options and set V-Synch to on and saved the options. Despite this the fan continued to be very loud for at least a minute until I closed the mech lab.
Closing the mech lab resulted in the fan immediately spooling down to a lower rate.

I wont be testing again this time round, I am too concerned for what the mech lab is doing to my hardware.

#70 DjKonline

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

1 nice full screen
the view of mech/components while editing

2 lots of sub menu hopping to get to final point or back
no cancel button to take actions done off (although clicking home tab will cancel actions )

social tab still not a Lobby system

3 see last item

4 store is nice layout but no ability to see hard points of mech being purchased

6 still hoping that this is rough holding for a few items that were not ready for testing, with little over 2 weeks remaining I see this causing more issue that solving front end ( know it allows back end expansion ) problems for new players

#71 Donas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 416 posts
  • Locationon yet another world looking for a Bar and Grill

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

View Postdymlos2003, on 16 January 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

That's coming with the mech details page

Ah, That would explain a lot. I didn't see anywhere in the known issues that there was supposed to be one.

#72 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

Graphically looks better and more intuitive than the last UI 2.0 preview. I liked seeing how much Premium time I have banked up.

Friends list did not work.

Social System seemed busted. Could not add friends. Did not have enough people on in the limited time the test server was up to make a group.

Like the UI 2.0 version of the Store. Would still like an option to have my Premium time parceled out. I have over 200 days and would like the option of using it in blocks similar to how you can buy it. 1 day, 3 days, 1 week and a month options would be really nice.

Positive. Looks more like a Premium game instead of a free to play interface.

90 days till CW!!! When is PGI going to stop lying to its customer base and treat us the way PGI wants to be treated. Customers are not allowed to be a year behind in paying for MWO. Why does PGI think it is ok to continually lie to people and act disreputable? Stop putting out mech packages and start putting out some content.

#73 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

Just ask Smurfy how much he wants for the rights to his design and call it a day.

#74 Evax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

What I like least:

Camo selection: Very Clunky, Revisit UI 1.0 and combine the two.

Important info boxes: Both the " Check Out" and the General Mech info boxes were way to small. The one in the bottom right especially. The list of items for purchase is huge, cut it by half and use that space to increase these boxes.

Upgrades were in a different tab than the mech load-out..(you guys moved it in UI 1.0, why go back to having it in it's own tab)

No double click to remove items.

No complete load out at a glance...No count of how many crit slots were left on my mech.

I feel, after reading these posts, that PGI did nothing to improve the UI. Most of the complaints are the same as last preview. After much tweaking UI 1.0 was easy to use. PGI need to use the first UI as a reference, stop over thinking the new UI.

FILM GRAIN + COCKPIT GLASS!!???!!? What is the deal with both? If you are talking immersion then why film grain? Film grain does not exist. please please if you do CP glass just remove the grain.

Edited by Evax, 16 January 2014 - 11:43 AM.

#75 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

Short list of notes I did during my 1 hour testing:
- maybe Add option to buy more than 1 mech bay at once
- Add a palette to the right of the mech in camo specs the current color selection is not good
- maybe add the info of how many heatsinks a mech has more visible also number of free slots

Questions:
- Did you change the Gauss Rifle chargetime and reload time? It feels a lot better and a lot more intuitive now!

#76 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

I like the feel of scale, Like I'm standing in the mechbay itself looking at my mech in its immense form.
Much quicker and easier to select built mechs. List button non operational
Mech configuration is over complicated and can be confusing. I would prefer if the tabs for all sections were dropped and the user could see and add weapons and equipment without bouncing all over the place. Bare minimum we need to see all sections of the mech at once to ease setup. Upgrades are not in the same menu as configuration and took a while to find.
I found the tab easily enough but none of my friends were on so I was unable to test client side chat and forming groups
Not too bad and keeping with the new theme of most menus but it took me a couple of tries before I found the Check out button (As opposed to the previous Buy one) This led to at least one drop where I mistakenly took a stock mech after spending 10+ minutes outfitting it. Found some bugs where tertiary color would change to stock green when cycling through paint patterns (did not return after saving colors)
I like it, Mechbay just needs a broader overall view
When setting weapon groups from the client, highlighted group needs its own color to denote what row and column are being modified. Not as big a deal by mouse but very important when adjusted by keyboard.
Inventory list ought to have a shortcut to configure/equip mechs as well as the save option.
Pilot trees no longer show unlocked status for mechs you no longer own. At times I'll sell something early and when I go back to it I'd like to be able to see which mechs are close to full basic.
Minimize tab does not function in cockpit items screen.
Found the divorced inventory list for sale items helpful but slightly hindering in that I had to dig around to find it.
Please add a Strip chassis button and a max up armor button.
Cockpit glass looks good. Found in game chat was broken on first drop and pre-launch broken in every subsequent one.

Also, spent almost all of christmas hunting for a dev and first drop see Russ. Annoying. Haha.

Edited by Khajja nar Jatargk, 16 January 2014 - 12:11 PM.

#77 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

• New Cryengine and MWO intro ( Love it)
  • Cockpit glass
  • Full screen
  • Lighting

• Group screen is very confusing and requires too many clicks.
  • Whole UI requires too many clicks
  • Can't rename mechs still (thought this was a feature)
  • Sounds are annoying need to be able to turn off UI sound (Music can stay)

Bad real bad needs to be redone. Once you're in it it's hard to leave it or at least figure out how to. Having to click the x on the far right when the Group Menu pops-up in the far left.

Not very good at advertising the mech so if a new user was to go to the store and not the website I doubt that person would buy a mech.

I like the art direction that is about it.

• Yes, Don't release this into the game it's way too confusing requires too many clicks, choosing colors is downright unintuitive and more of a hassle then its worth. I'll stick to poop green before i try to navigate new colors. I have so much screen space that is not used.
  • Can't name mechs still? List View doesn't work.
  • Mechlab uses too many ICONS that are not needed should be a list view and if you click on the item it would pop up the icon and info somewhere to the side in a standard location.
  • I really felt like I was playing where is waldo and duckhunt at the same time.

Edited by Imperius, 16 January 2014 - 12:06 PM.

#78 RolloI

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 41 posts
  • Location[ITA]

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

full screen

Interface-articulated ... Too Layered ...
Double-click does not mount/remove compents

looks good

N/A

N/A

-endeavor for introduce the "tonnage drop" to balance the games and no glass cockpit (nice but useless)
-In the "selection mech" need a description mounted weapons/module

......vote just sufficient

#79 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

1. Like
  • It's shiny visually and audibly.

2. Do Not Like
  • Mechs in the mechbay appear in a near isometric viewpoint which looks absurd. In my 3:4 resolution all of the larger mechs are half obscured by the side of the screen.
  • Also by my resolution the list of mechs is in rows of 4. I prefer 3.
  • When customizing a mech, all of the mech locations appear in a list, and can only be accessed one at a time.
  • The options to switch between weapons, ammo, and equipment, is in different locations and always underneath the current selected component. This is very unwieldy.
  • When customizing a mech, an Invalid item has the same red colored bar across it as an equipped item.
  • What did you do to the camo select? All the colors appear as a single sliding bar where only seven of them are visible. You can't click and drag the bar for easy and precise navigation either, you have to click or click and hold.

#80 FroBanger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

View PostNiko Snow, on 15 January 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

This thread is to cover any qualitative feedback regarding UI 2.0. If you would like to report specific bugs with the preview, please use the New Issues thread.

Please follow the questionnaire provided. This is to help us better organize and process your feedback after the test.

1) The New Ui was Alot more attractive.
2) The new UI has a few bugs. in "View all Mode" their is no option to configue mechs you own only to buy them. Perhaps in "view all mode" have an option if you already own the mech to one button is configure your existing mech another to purchase a new mech. In view all mode it does not show which mechs you own. Just the option to buy all mechs
2) Upgrades do not show tonnage change or crit slot change.

All in all I like it. it will take some getting used to. But its nice. except for the "bugs" i've found

25 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users