No replies to this topic

#1 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

Greetings all,

Something I see a lot of command orders being issued that are outside of the small mini maps HUD range. Or targeting an Enemy Mech that is out of your current visual range and having to open the main map to see where it actually is.
[which normally brings my Mech to a grinding stop, unless I use the "0" keypad before I open the main map]

I suggest PGI look into having a dynamic mini map that changes relative size on the current targeted Mech. The overall mini map HUD size should not change but the displayed grids and terrain increase or decrease depending on how far away the current target is.

- If I target a Mech out to my right side at 1000mtrs the map should shrink to show that target and the terrain between us. This would allow for immediate situational awareness to Mech's that my company identifies. Allows me to work through identified Enemies and quickly see if they or I "have a shot" or need to move.

- If I target an Enemy that is 250mtrs behind and to my left, the map zooms in and shows the intervening terrain, (if any) and allows me to plot either an attack route or retreat. (in reverse)
All this with out having to actually travers my torso or Mech to face the enemy, one quick glance and I see where I need to go or be.

- While the mini map is scaling up and down the Mech icons should also change proportionally,(to a set max/min readable size) the current icons sizes cause some confusion when the battle is being conducted in the 500mtr range. Many overlapping Icons and no ability to filter out/ identify the "targeted Mech", and could lead to not seeing those "two Mech's behind you". Dynamically changing the mini map zooms you into a single grid square and again a single glance could be the difference between life or death.

Currently the mini map displays about 9 grid squares and is always oriented North, I can live with the North always up on the map. But having to actually bring up the overall game map to locate a far out Mech could be the difference between moving and being shot or killed.

- When we get the upgraded CryEngine and finally DX11 this should allow for much more detailed graphics without the current processing hog we have now.
- If the mini map overlay can be dynamically scaled with the pilots current target and remain at default when not actively selecting mech's, we should see a huge effect on pilot awareness and game play.
- some may suggest using the mouse scroll wheel as a map zoom key, but I would like it to be automated to what I target. "R"
- If I fail to select "R" then the mini map will not change, and this ties into the onboard "targeting computer" and "fire control systems" that all the Mech's are suppose to have. (story wise)

This may mean that the current mini maps will need a graphics pass to enable them to be scaled to detail within one grid square, as some just blur out as seen in the smurfy maps when you zoom them.
- All doable, but what additional resources will this use in our future game engine?
- Can it be enabled or designed without dropping the FPS too much?
- Does displaying the mini map actually mean the entire map is always on and we only see the small window of the HUD?
- Will dynamically scaling it be detrimental to online game play or is it only a player side effect?

Just a suggestion for more immersion and better gameplay.
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 16 January 2014 - 11:39 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users