• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:20 AM

the wolfhound would be 100% pointless though

1) doesnt have three different variants
2) less hardpoints than jenner
3) no jumpjets

the wolfhound adds absolutely nothing to the game that the jenner doesnt already do better.

I still believe it could be the urbanmech. The firefly is also a strong possibility.

We know it won't be the Urbanmech (it's engine isn't even in game)

Thats like saying you know the flea wont be in the game because masc isnt in the game. They can always add the engine its supposed to have to the game.

Edited by Khobai, 20 January 2014 - 01:22 AM.

#42 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:24 AM

View PostIqfishLP, on 18 January 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

We know the following:

- The new light mech will be "controversial"
- The new light mech is "famous because it was used by a particular faction"
- It is not the panther
- It must be IS
- It arrives Feb. 4th.

So, the only mechs that would be possible:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Wolfhound

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Javelin

But the Javelin was not really famous, I guess it will be the Wolfhound.

The following is on Sarna about the Wolfhound:

"Phelan Kell and his Wolfhound, nicknamed "Grinner", were captured by the forces of Clan Wolf during Operation Revival. When Phelan was inducted into the Wolf Clan as a Warrior, Khan Ulric Kerensky ordered his 'Mech be upgraded using Clan technology. BV (1.0) = 1473, BV (2.0) = 1,176"

Your thoughts?

We have enough light mechs don't need anymore! Very few 100 tonners need some more of those. That's my thought and my opinion on the matter.

#43 DrxAbstract

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:41 AM

View PostSandpit, on 18 January 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

I would lvoe to see the Javelin. It would be a great addition and something that would give Jenners a run for their money

How do you figure? It's basically a Spider, plus a variant with Missiles... why even waste the effort. The Wolfhound is relatively lightly armed by comparison to other 35 Tonners, and only 3 total variants existed in this timeline - WLF-1, WLF-1A, WLF-1B, the first of which has rear mounted weapons, so that's out. The 1A only has 4 weapon hardpoints, making the 1B the only realistic variant.

The Firestarter has several viable candidate variants available: FS9-A. FS9-H, FS9-S, FS9-S1, FS9-C.
All of which are veritable powerhouses. Introduction of the Firestarter would quite possibly phase out both the Raven and Jenner since the thing is typically more heavily armed than the Jenner, has Jump Jets and the potential to use ECM.

Guess we'll find out!

#44 Blarns

Rookie

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:24 AM

Surely the Hollander is a candidate for the next mech. It comes out at 35 tonnes, is linked to House Steiner and i suppose its load out is "controversial" in the fact that its way out there for a light. I just thought i would add this as is hasnt been mentioned before.

#45 Dunkelfalke

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:44 AM

The Hollander was introduced in 3054 ...

#46 Effectz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 349 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:45 AM

Firestarter.

http://www.sarna.net...28BattleMech%29

#47 Blarns

Rookie

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:49 AM

View PostDunkelfalke, on 20 January 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:

The Hollander was introduced in 3054 ...

Couldn't that be another reason why it is controversial? Also it's mean't to be 3051 this year but it's basically 3050 with the clan invasion.

#48 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

I Hereby found the "Oh Please Let It Not Be An Urbie" movement.
**Ducks**

EDIT: Make That "Favourite Mech of Your Choice". Just to annoy everybody. Coz I cin feel the love of power gaming in these Younguns.

And Yes, I drove a Jenner in Closed Beta!

Edited by Hammerhai, 20 January 2014 - 07:56 AM.

#49 Corbon Zackery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:54 AM

If its light and controversial there are a few choices.

Urbanmech
Firestarter
Hollander

My guess is its going to be the Hollander.

Posted Image

#50 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

It could be the Wolfhound, would be interesting. It could be the Firestarter. Urbanmech is controversial in that it would have to have it's engine rating increased so it will cause some controversy. If you think they will get their name sake into this game, the Piranha was introduced in 3051 according to sarna.net so maybe some controversy since there are other lights that could be better.

#51 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

The Hollander is a cool idea, but they did just release the Shadow Hawk not long ago, and they have a similar gimmick with the shoulder ballistic. Still, I would support this. Kind of always liked that mech.

#52 Iacov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 668 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

if it is the urbie, i'd buy it in a matter of seconds!
or it better is a chicken leg-type mech

#53 EnvoyBegin

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

I think the Urbie would beat the Locust as the ultimate troll mech. I would pilot it.

#54 Broad5ide

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 255 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

THE REASON IT IS CONTROVERSIAL IS BECAUSE WE WONT SEE THE C-BILL VERSIONS FOR 2 MONTHS

#55 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

Wolfhound is a good bet but so is the Javelin. Also have to remember when they announced it would be controversial they also announced it would be "humaoid" so that narrows the list down. It also has to have 3 time wise variants or more.

Wolfhound is controversial because for a light it's big, it's heavy (at 35 tons) and it's slow. More of a brawling light but it'd be easily susceptible to higher tonnage mechs. But considering it was designed to directly counter the Panther it's unlikely we'll see it.

Javelin is controversial because it's mostly a missile boat. It'd be a chassis equivalent of the Oxide and we know how well that has done. Personally I think this would be a interesting choice if the missile systems are fixed.

Other contenders:

Urbanmech would be controversial because the engine systems will need a major revision to accommodate this thing. It's slow as hell and considered an underdog.

Firestarter would be controversial because it's a 35 tonner (already have 2), it's got ridiculous hard points and it isn't slow (similar to the Raven).

Thorn would be controversial due to it being 20 tons and the Locust while okay hasn't been doing very well. With the Locust and the Flea (eventually) there isn't a need for another 20 ton light.

Mercury is the same issue as the Thorn. It's likeliness is decreased when you factor it also has MASC like the Flea and we still haven't seen that annoyance. It's also "semi-humanoid".

Mongoose is 25 tons. It's role is already served by the Commando so there isn't a serious reason to add this into the game.

Hermes would be cool. Personally like the Raven I really like it as a scout mech. Variants don't offer much in the way of variety. Is one of the faster lights made but with MWO systems would never reach it's max speed (see Locust).

Hussar is unlikely because it's a semi-humanoid and it suffers from lack of weaponry/hard points. They'd have to do some significant hard point inflation to make it work.

It's also good to look at which of those chassis have per-existing "hero" versions. Since PGI tends to go for per-existing variants before making their own. Though sometimes this isn't the case (see Jester vs Butterbee). Looking through the different possibilities most likely we will see a custom hero on the 4th.

While I'd like to see the Hermes I'm going to go with the Javelin and second guess would be the Firestarter. Javelin would add more variety to the light line up in the long run assuming missiles are fixed.

View PostBroad5ide, on 20 January 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

THE REASON IT IS CONTROVERSIAL IS BECAUSE WE WONT SEE THE C-BILL VERSIONS FOR 2 MONTHS

Or they will do a "double" release and release both the light chassis and the Griffin/Wolverine at the same time.

Edited by Butane9000, 20 January 2014 - 09:54 AM.

#56 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:59 AM

I kind of wonder if it might in fact be a MASC mech...

though like the DDC has the Command Console that does nothing, this might too. So until MASC works it'll be an extra cost to strip the MASC because it's a dead component?

#57 Lucky Moniker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 452 posts
  • LocationSeaside, CA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

The only problem with masc is their ****** net code that cant handle mechs moving as fast as they could with masc, I'm sure it will be implemented soon after they fix this, whenever that happens

#58 Wolf Ender

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

I kinda hope it's not the wolfhound... gonna be waaaaaayyyy too tall and easy to get sniped.... while you're trying to use a hill or building to hide behind and people can still shoot your head... its all energy hardpoints which I think we have had enough of in light mechs especially since whatever the wolfhound could do the Jenner with 6 MLs will eat for breakfast.

seriously....

the time is right for Urbanmech...

#59 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

View PostImperius, on 20 January 2014 - 01:24 AM, said:

We have enough light mechs don't need anymore! Very few 100 tonners need some more of those. That's my thought and my opinion on the matter.

We already have far, FAR TOO MANY assault mechs in games already thank you. PGI don't need anymore encouraging.

#60 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

This thread is not about the fact, that we might have enough Assaults or Lights, this thread is about the new Light mech.

Please stay on Topic and do not start killing each other.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users