Extra Mouse Buttons Not Working

18 replies to this topic

#1 FriscoeHotsauce

• PipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

I have this strange problem, and ONLY in MWO, where my Mouse Button 3 and 4 (MB3, MB4) do not register correctly during the game. Right now, I am using a Logitech M560, which isn't an ideal gaming mouse, but the extra buttons can do wonders when using multiple weapon groups.

I want to be clear, that MB1 and MB2 (Left click and Right click) work absolutely fine, it's only the auxillary MB3 and 4 that don't work right. The problem, and most frustrating part, is that they *sometimes* work. As far as I can tell, it's completely random. They will work right 3-5 times in a row when I click the first time, then I will have to smash the button repeatedly just to get my weapons to fire, whenever the button feels like working.

My question is, does anyone else have this problem? Is there a known workaround? Is there something I can do in the config files to override or reconfigure those buttons? Because those buttons work in EVERY other application, and this mouse is like 4 days old. To further enforce that this is a software problem with MWO, my Razer Orochi (which is currently being RMA'd) had the exact same problem.

#2 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

I had some success with unloading the Logitech drivers and running straight with the microsoft autodetect drivers. I use a M510. At first the Logi drivers worked once you used the utility to map the buttons to keyboard commands but then I started having issues.

Right now I have a problem where Mouse 5 wants to read as mouse 4 and vice versa, which is problematic when it opens a 50+ alpha into your teammate's back instead of centering the torso.

#3 FriscoeHotsauce

• PipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

Well, the problem I'm having is that the autodetect drivers aren't picking up the extra mouse buttons on the thumb of the M560. Got any suggestions for different drivers or something?

Also, I have a suspicion that for my Razer Orochi, this was a hardware problem, and for the M560 it is a software problem, and that the two are separate but similar problems.

Edited by Flavious59, 19 January 2014 - 11:45 AM.

#4 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

I've learned a long time ago not to depend on games to recognize extra buttons on a mouse. A great many don't.

So what I usually do is assign those buttons a letter or number in the mouse software for gaming. Generally I'll try and pick keys your right hand would normally rest on like "J" and "K", or numbers like 8 and 9. From there simply make the game use the letters or numbers I chose.

#5 Niko85

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:18 AM

View PostTB Freelancer, on 19 January 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

I've learned a long time ago not to depend on games to recognize extra buttons on a mouse. A great many don't.

So what I usually do is assign those buttons a letter or number in the mouse software for gaming. Generally I'll try and pick keys your right hand would normally rest on like "J" and "K", or numbers like 8 and 9. From there simply make the game use the letters or numbers I chose.
i'm doing the same for years, there are tons of games not recognizing extra buttons. should be possible with the logitech software

#6 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:37 AM

View PostNiko85, on 20 January 2014 - 04:18 AM, said:

i'm doing the same for years, there are tons of games not recognizing extra buttons. should be possible with the logitech software

I've used several Logitech models of mice over the years and the Setpoint software they use to go with the drivers makes it a snap to do. Its definitely possible and quite easy to do.

#7 FriscoeHotsauce

• PipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

Awesome everyone, thanks for the suggestions. Mapping the thumb button to 3 allows me to get 100% button recognition, worked like a charm. I already had the setpoint software, but it didn't occur to me that it would have that functionality. Thanks, I can play MWO competitively again!

#8 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:32 AM

Right on :lol:

#9 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

The problem is caused because in the Logitech software, you need to set the button to "Generic Button".
Leaving it on the default of "Browser Back" / "Browser Forward" does not work with many games - you will see it work intermittently.

As mentioned above, the other option is to bind the mouse to the game key, not the game to the mouse button.

It is also worth mentioning that with non-gaming logitech mice (ie using SetPoint), it is impossible to have the button mapped to "Generic Button" in per-application settings, if the default setting is not "Generic Button". (At least it was the last time I used SetPoint)

Unless you use the side buttons for browser back and forward in windows, then just set the side buttons to "Generic Button" in the default profile.

Edited by evilC, 25 January 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#10 Stijnovic

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 63 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

I too have this problem since a week or so, I use a Logitech Anywhere MX. Buttons 3 and 4 used to work fine previously though and I didn't change anything. I guess I'll mess around with Setpoint once more...

#11 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:07 AM

I have the same or similar problem

Sometimes if I am holding mouse button 2 down and hit mouse button 3 the game or computer won’t pick up that
I hit mouse button 3

Or if I am holding mouse button 3 down and hit mouse button 2 my weapons wont fire

Does this sound like the same problem?

#12 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:59 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 24 June 2016 - 05:07 AM, said:

I have the same or similar problem

Sometimes if I am holding mouse button 2 down and hit mouse button 3 the game or computer won’t pick up that
I hit mouse button 3

Or if I am holding mouse button 3 down and hit mouse button 2 my weapons wont fire

Does this sound like the same problem?

How did you come by this 2 year old thread... Posted Image ?

Forum search is working again. Of course no way to sort it, so it puts the oldest thread at the time....

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 24 June 2016 - 05:01 PM.

#13 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:07 PM

I use a logitech mouse and tried installing the software to improve my gaming experience, same thing happened...

I had to do a full uninstall of that app, after a reboot, the buttons came back...

#14 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:57 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 24 June 2016 - 04:59 PM, said:

How did you come by this 2 year old thread... Posted Image ?

Forum search is working again. Of course no way to sort it, so it puts the oldest thread at the time....

yeah the forum search seems to be hit or miss

"I use a logitech mouse and tried installing the software to improve my gaming experience, same thing happened...

I had to do a full uninstall of that app, after a reboot, the buttons came back..."

I use two different mice and its happened on both of them

I suspect what the problem is but I could be off base

Edited by Davegt27, 25 June 2016 - 08:08 AM.

#15 Chojin Wolfblade

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 10 posts
  • LocationBrisbane AU

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:48 PM

Digging up an old thread; I've just started experiencing the same issue. But my mouse is a Corsair. It seems to work intermittently. I've even already got the buttons mapped to keystrokes. Restarting the corsair software does nothing. Unplugging the mouse does nothing. The buttons work fine in every other app (tested the button presses in notepad). It's almost like MWO won't accept input from a secondary input device (I'm assuming the corsair/Logitech software emulates a keyboard for the extra buttons)
Does anyone know of any workarounds? Edits to the config files?

#16 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:15 AM

On the others, and making sure running the newest software, running the mouse with default settings on buttons. #4 mouse button (Group 3) is BACK (browser) and Mouse button #5 (GROUP 4) as the FORWARD (browser) instead of making them the 3 keyboard key and 4 keyboard key.

Or I should say, what ever button you want to fire Group 3, make it the BACK browser button, Group 4 the FORWARD button. That way it is useful not just in game but when web browsing.

You want the mouse to run the mouse triggers as often as possible before emulating keyboard strokes.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 26 June 2016 - 11:33 AM.

#17 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:26 PM

I also have a Corsair mouse
http://www.corsair.c...ing-mouse-black

And I also have contour wireless mouse
https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B00B20MA6Y

My problem seems to be holding down the mouse 2 or 3 button keeps the other button from working
Or if I hold the mouse 2 button down the 3 button sometimes does not work or vies versa

No problem with mouse button 1

#18 Rivit

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:17 PM

I had the issue where setpoint would not work with key stroke assignments on buttons 4.5.6. and 7 on a M510 mouse when in game. I fixed this issue by running setpoint as an administrator. This was happening in Windows 10. Just wanted to put it out there in case anyone else had this problem.

#19 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:59 AM

View PostChojin Wolfblade, on 25 June 2016 - 10:48 PM, said:

Digging up an old thread; I've just started experiencing the same issue. But my mouse is a Corsair. It seems to work intermittently. I've even already got the buttons mapped to keystrokes. Restarting the corsair software does nothing. Unplugging the mouse does nothing. The buttons work fine in every other app (tested the button presses in notepad). It's almost like MWO won't accept input from a secondary input device (I'm assuming the corsair/Logitech software emulates a keyboard for the extra buttons)
Does anyone know of any workarounds? Edits to the config files?

Last time I checked, doing this with logitech mice that use SetPoint (not LGS) will cause problems - the buttons will only trigger the weapon groups intermittently.
MWO recognizes XButton1 and XButton2 (The "side" buttons on a mouse), whereas when you press these buttons with them mapped to Forward / Back, XButton1 and 2 also seem to be pressed (But only for <50ms), which means that MWO sometimes misses them.
So, for logitech mice using SetPoint, the advice is the exact opposite - Bind the mouse to the number keys, not to Browser Back/Forward.

Edited by evilC, 08 September 2016 - 03:59 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users