Paging Karl Berg...karl Berg, Please Pick Up The White Courtesy Phone...

1911 replies to this topic

#1081 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostCimarb, on 20 June 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

Figures I would screw that up... /sigh

I don't carry one, so don't worry about it. :)

;)

#1082 Cimarb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 20 June 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

I don't carry one, so don't worry about it. :)

;)

I don't either, which is why I thought five was the max. I think I have used a 380 before, but that's it.

#1083 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

View PostOmid Kiarostami, on 20 June 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

As far as the Crit Table is concerned, the additional heatsinks are treated like extra items equipped to that component. That means it's possible for them to get crit and destroyed independently of the engine they are slotted in, and that each extra engine-slotted heatsink impacts the overall crit distribution of items in that component.

Posted Image

Thanks for the answer …

#1084 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

View PostOmid Kiarostami, on 20 June 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

Good question, they don't work the way you'd expect.

I know what I should ask: Does a slot of ammo, expended, stay a valid slot for absorbing crits, the way it does in table-top?

#1085 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

View PostHeffay, on 20 June 2014 - 11:11 AM, said:

See, this is where we need clarification. I understand the damage would be small (each tick is 1/10th of the total damage), but I specifically recall reading a blue post (before they were blue) that lasers didn't crit at all.

Would be nice to know for sure!

Easy to test. Equip a laser, go to the testing ground, blow up components (or not).

Hell, here, I'll do it:
Spoiler

There we go. Medium laser destroyed by lasers only, torso holding it not destroyed. Lasers definitely cause crits.

As was said above, each pulse the laser does can crit, for the amount of damage of that pulse. Same % chances etc as any other (normal) weapon.

#1086 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

View PostHeffay, on 20 June 2014 - 11:11 AM, said:

See, this is where we need clarification. I understand the damage would be small (each tick is 1/10th of the total damage), but I specifically recall reading a blue post (before they were blue) that lasers didn't crit at all.

Would be nice to know for sure!

does it do a crit roll for each tick or for a % of duration to % of crit damage.

#1087 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

View Postzudukai, on 20 June 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

does it do a crit roll for each tick or for a % of duration to % of crit damage.

It does a crit roll for each tick. Basically, each tick is considered a separate shot for these purposes, with a "weapon" damage equal to the damage of that tick.

#1088 DarkonFullPower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:36 AM

View PostGoose, on 20 June 2014 - 03:35 PM, said:

*hilarious pic here*

Thanks for the answer …

XD I figured it was Working As Intended. TT crits are not MWO crits. I too second the motion to know if a spent ammo ton still counts in the crit roll. If so, those mass 1/2 ton ammo Clan builds are doing a LOT more then I thought.

Edited by DarkonFullPower, 21 June 2014 - 06:37 AM.

#1089 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,660 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:24 AM

Yeah I'm curious about the ammo too but I think we can reasonably guess that spent ammo counts but can't explode anymore.
1/2 ammos have the added benefit that if you have the slots, it's better to have 1/2 tons as they act as crit buffers and if they explode, it does less damage. They should lower the health of those components to compensate, but still leave it as a slightly better option.

#1090 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:02 AM

View PostDarkonFullPower, on 21 June 2014 - 06:36 AM, said:

XD I figured it was Working As Intended. TT crits are not MWO crits.

I could easily be what they intended, but seeing as how TT rules had a lot of "do as I imagine, not as I say" up until Randall put all them examples into Total Warfare, it's worth checking with Teh Devs about obtuse mechanics like this …

(Yeah: "Location," "slot," and "crit" all used to swap definitions at random in the older books; It was no wonder one would find wacky rule interpretations at any given table in the Open Game Rooms' of a Con.)

#1091 Li Song

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 225 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:20 AM

View PostKarl Berg, on 18 June 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

Hrm.. That's an excellent question. Currently no pilot module or quirk affects base weapon heat generation that I know of; although there are some quirks for cooldown rates and such.

When design asks us to implement something that affects the base heat generation of weapons, then I'll be able to answer you. :)

All the weapon range modules that are currently in game affect weapon heat. So I interpret your answer as that these modules do not affect base heat but rather is a "bonus" that is added on top after any ghost heat penalty is calculated?

#1092 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

Karl,
Thanks for all your work and the posts here. Can you pass this along to the design team to investigate?

Someone posted that Clan LRMs are providing more impulse than IS LRMs. According to Smurfy's data, the poster is correct. C-LRM 10-20 have .4 impulse. All IS-LRMs and C-LRM 5s have .35 impulse.

There's also a discrepancy with the C-SRMs. All IS-SRMs are .11 impulse. Clan impulse is as follows for SRMs:

C-SRM2-.19
C-SRM4-.11
C-SRM6-.19

All streaks are normalized at .040.

Edited by Mizeur, 21 June 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#1093 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:51 PM

View PostMizeur, on 21 June 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:

Karl,
Thanks for all your work and the posts here. Can you pass this along to the design team to investigate?

Someone posted that Clan LRMs are providing more impulse than IS LRMs. According to Smurfy's data, the poster is correct. C-LRM 10-20 have .4 impulse. All IS-LRMs and C-LRM 5s have .35 impulse.

There's also a discrepancy with the C-SRMs. All IS-SRMs are .11 impulse. Clan impulse is as follows for SRMs:

C-SRM2-.19
C-SRM4-.11
C-SRM6-.19

I'm going to guess that's an "unfinished copy+paste job" that was not addressed at the same time the IS weapons were "fixed".

#1094 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

@Karl

When doing the fixes for mouse wheel binding, be aware that just fixing the bind issue may not make zoom 100% usable on mouse wheel.
When I use a script to rebind wheel up and down to keyboard keys (which are mapped to zoom in/out in mwo) then I get strange behavior.

It seems that sending zoom in/out commands too quickly can result in behavior not normally possible. For example, if you roll the mouse wheel up quickly, it can end up back at zoom 1, which is impossible if you issue the zoom commands slowly.
The end result is that zoom in/out on mouse wheel behaves extremely unpredictably if the wheel is rolled too fast.
In my scripts, I had problems getting the zoom in/out commands to work reliably at all on mouse wheel, I had to resort to sending one of the 4 direct commands (toggle zoom level 1/2/3/ adv zoom) and enforcing a >=200ms gap between zoom commands.
Replication:
Use this ahk script to bind wheel up/down to numpad +/-
~wheelup::
Send {NumPadAdd}
return

~wheeldown::
send {NumpadSub}
return

Bind Numpad +/- to zoom in/out in mwo.
Roll mouse quickly in a match.
Note: this issue does not manifest in Testing Grounds, only in a match!
A link to the script I use to fix these issues is in my sig,

#1095 Karl Berg

Technical Director

• 497 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:02 AM

View PostLi Song, on 21 June 2014 - 09:20 AM, said:

All the weapon range modules that are currently in game affect weapon heat. So I interpret your answer as that these modules do not affect base heat but rather is a "bonus" that is added on top after any ghost heat penalty is calculated?

If that is the case then I apologize for my mistake. I will clarify and get back to you on this.

View PostMizeur, on 21 June 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:

Karl,

C-SRM2-.19
C-SRM4-.11
C-SRM6-.19

Yes indeed, I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but I will forward this on. Thanks!

View PostevilC, on 24 June 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

@Karl

When doing the fixes for mouse wheel binding, be aware that just fixing the bind issue may not make zoom 100% usable on mouse wheel.
When I use a script to rebind wheel up and down to keyboard keys (which are mapped to zoom in/out in mwo) then I get strange behavior.

It seems that sending zoom in/out commands too quickly can result in behavior not normally possible. For example, if you roll the mouse wheel up quickly, it can end up back at zoom 1, which is impossible if you issue the zoom commands slowly.
The end result is that zoom in/out on mouse wheel behaves extremely unpredictably if the wheel is rolled too fast.
In my scripts, I had problems getting the zoom in/out commands to work reliably at all on mouse wheel, I had to resort to sending one of the 4 direct commands (toggle zoom level 1/2/3/ adv zoom) and enforcing a >=200ms gap between zoom commands.
Replication:
Use this ahk script to bind wheel up/down to numpad +/-
~wheelup::
Send {NumPadAdd}
return

~wheeldown::
send {NumpadSub}
return

Bind Numpad +/- to zoom in/out in mwo.
Roll mouse quickly in a match.
Note: this issue does not manifest in Testing Grounds, only in a match!
A link to the script I use to fix these issues is in my sig,

This seems a strange issue. I will also pass this on. Thanks sir!

#1096 Karl Berg

Technical Director

• 497 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:06 AM

View PostHobo Dan, on 20 June 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:

Hello Karl. Bug Question

For quite some time now I’ve been plagued by the CryEngin FRead Error. What happens is that the game will crash to desktop (this can happen while logging in, while loading into a match, and less often during a match). When the game crashes I get the FRead Error message that states # out of ### files were miss read.

After some investigating, I found that every time this happened, it was because one of the game .pak files had been corrupted. Before Repair tool existed this involved either downloading the whole game again or getting ahold of fresh .paks. Now repair tool can handle it, but it still happens often to me. At least once a week. On patch weeks several times a night for a few days. Objects.pak is always a favorite, but many others have been corrupted as well. Locking the .paks doesn’t seem to work.

When I contact support, they suggest reinstalling the game, etc., etc. None of that has worked. I think I’ve had this issue in varying degrees of severity and frequency since August 2012.

I don’t see too many others out there reporting the issue. So either I’m an edge case, or a glutton for using the repair tool.

Any solutions?

Hi Hobbo,

I believe our build engineer was looking into these issues some time ago. I will clarify if a fix was made or not.

#1097 Garegaupa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:44 AM

View PostKarl Berg, on 25 June 2014 - 12:02 AM, said:

This seems a strange issue. I will also pass this on. Thanks sir!

I've had the exact same issue. When scrolling too fast, the zoom becomes erratic.

I also had an issue where I had to scroll the wheel through several notches before the zoom seemed to react. I suspect this is related to the first issue somehow.

Edited by Garegaupa, 25 June 2014 - 05:50 AM.

#1098 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:29 AM

If the new matchmaker survives the public servers, are there plans to start tracking Elo for more categories (solo vs group drops, mech chassis, as discussed earlier in this thread)?

#1099 Willothius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 187 posts
  • LocationThe Great Mechbay In The Sky.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:41 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 21 June 2014 - 07:24 AM, said:

Yeah I'm curious about the ammo too but I think we can reasonably guess that spent ammo counts but can't explode anymore.
1/2 ammos have the added benefit that if you have the slots, it's better to have 1/2 tons as they act as crit buffers and if they explode, it does less damage. They should lower the health of those components to compensate, but still leave it as a slightly better option.

Well having 2 half ton slots also DOUBLES the chances of a crit in any ammo bin! But, I guess you'd hope that by that time you'd indeed have emptied out one..

What I'd like to know is if the additional internal DHS do indeed count as THREE additional (crit soaking) slots in CT, because if so, I know THAT's where I'm stuffing my excessive ammo that wont fit in my head or legs! Until I read this, I always put as much additional DHS OUTSIDE of my engine, for crit soaking purposes..

===

Furthermore: best thread I've seen so far! With actually useful discussions, very thorough stuff, and above all, lots of response from staff! Good stuff.

#1100 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,660 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:03 AM

I'm thinking about things like lasers and machine guns where each shot is small and crits rolled for each one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users