14 replies to this topic

#1 Skyros

• Pip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 13 posts
  • LocationEdmonton Alberta

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:50 AM

Hey so I'm overall impressed with the concept art for the clan mechs however there are some
things that annoy me. Most Clan mechs have always been these rounded almost alien looking mechs because of their smooth surfaces it gives them a look of overall technological superiority over the inner sphere that I always liked. One of the things that I really like about most Clan mechs such as the Timber Wolf or Warhawk is there rounded gyro casing on the legs just looks awesome. So what I'm getting at is that making Clan mechs squared takes away their flavor what keeps them distinct from the Inner Sphere and I hope that some of that is brought back in the final models.

#2 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

I agree about the lower leg thing, but that seems like such a tiny nitpick all and all. Overall, the design of the Warhawk, Stormcrow, and Timberwolf have barely changed and, if anything, their torsos look even sleeker than they used to be. I was personally extremely excited with the evolution of the Stormcrow, as it did almost exactly what I had envisioned in my head, with a fighter style cockpit redesign.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 19 January 2014 - 07:36 AM.

#3 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:38 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

tldr: QQing about things that havent even been MODELED YET.

#4 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:42 AM

I could remotely accept criticism towards the conversion of locust and black hawk to turreted mechs but c'mon man

#5 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

Hmm. If the criticism is that Clan mechs will look too similar to IS mechs, I cannot agree. At least not based on the concept art. To me, the Clan mechs look very distinct. If the in game models resemble the concept art, there will be no mistaking which mech is which.

#6 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

The Clan 'Mech concept art allready IS different compared to their IS counterparts - each and every Clan Omni is easily recognizable. Thats something you can't say about the IS 'Mech concept art.

#7 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

Posted Image

#8 Skyros

• Pip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 13 posts
  • LocationEdmonton Alberta

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

lol did u all just read the title and not my post like I said I'm overall impressed with the concept art but the square arms and legs of the Timber Wolf just don't seem right to me and as to posting old game renders that are square its because when those games came out they couldn't possibly make the poly count to make things rounded and smooth. Now we have the opportunity to see what these mechs would actually look like in 3d space with the technology we have now. As so waiting until its modelled to make this statement that would be a little late as It would take up more time and resources.

Just my 2 cents

#9 Silence Jin Mang

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 170 posts
  • LocationVirginia, america

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

I agree that the arms are not round like they have been in the past, BUT (and this is a big but) if you have paid attention to the concepts and designs that PGI has put out, their unique style is a lot more square and symmetrical. I personally love the new looks, and even though I hate most IS mechs, the current models look fantastic. So I can not complain that they put their own style into the mechs. If anything they made them look better and more complete.

#10 mithril coyote

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 135 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

yes because clan mechs have always been rounded.. :huh:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

nearly all clan mechs have been Angular, not rounded. it was the IS that went in for aesthetically pleasing rounded shapes.. the clans went mostly for practicality, at least prior to encountering the IS and their corrupting aesthetic influence.

#11 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

View Postmithril coyote, on 23 January 2014 - 12:49 PM, said:

nearly all clan mechs have been Angular, not rounded.

True and it is why i love them.

#12 PawPaWuFF

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:10 PM

too bad they gave the nova a torso :huh: couldve given it other quirks to make up for its lack of twist ecm/jumpjets/dual ams, could have been the only mech people didnt complain about the torso size

Edited by user5318, 23 January 2014 - 01:12 PM.

#13 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:48 PM

View PostSkyros, on 22 January 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

and as to posting old game renders that are square its because when those games came out they couldn't possibly make the poly count to make things rounded and smooth.

Posted Image
Make what angled and smooth? Look at those mechs man, there's very little 'rounded' about them unless you count bulbous lower legs. Aside from the Daishi and Mad Cat fuselage cockpits, they are blocky as hell.

View Postuser5318, on 23 January 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

too bad they gave the nova a torso :huh: couldve given it other quirks to make up for its lack of twist ecm/jumpjets/dual ams, could have been the only mech people didnt complain about the torso size

Mentioned this before in another thread- I piloted a Nova back in MW3 when it had a 5 degree torso twist thanks to the old design. It sucked. It was fine for single player where long range sniping and ride by attacks could confuse the simple AI, but it sucked for multiplayer because ride by attacks and sniping were all it could handle thanks to a complete lack of torso twist. MWO would just make it even worse with the first person centric gameplay.

Much as I do love the classic design, I'm glad they redesigned it with a torso, because trying to balance an almost complete lack of something that's a basic feature of every other mech by giving it a bunch of positive qualities will 1) be a blancing nightmare, seesawing between OP and UP, and 2)Eventually just lead to a mech that gets pigeonholed into doing one good thing, instead of being a solid, workhorse medium chassis.

I like the Nova - it's my favorite of the Clan mechs - but I'd prefer to enjoy piloting it over enjoying looking at my backside as it explodes.

#14 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

To be fair, Mist Lynx and Kit Fox CT are rather rounded, as is the Gargoyle and Mad Dogs nose. :huh:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users