Catapult Builds

14 replies to this topic

#1 SchwarzerPeter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 202 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:13 AM

Because they are 50% off this weekend, I bought a Catapult C4. Haven't run Catapults so far, because i didn't like LRMs that much.

But i must admit its pretty funny with this build: CPLT-C4, XL 280, 2 LRM15, 2 SRM6, 1MPL, TAG

I like that you don't need to be that passive, the SRM + MPL gives you quite a punch at close range. AMS is almost a must have against all the clan lrms ...

Any ideas which variant to get next? The K2 is a no-brainer but the A1 or the C1? The A1 seems pretty limited in build variants, but 6 SRM6 seems like fun ^^

Oh, and feel free to share your build too, it will help the undecided to get their catapults :D

#2 Varik Ronain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

I own all of them and they all have a different feel to them. I do not have time to share builds but the C1 has the ability to combine the two most hated things in the forums into one. You can run a dual ppc build with JJ for poptarting and still put 2 LRM 10 racks with a tag on it. On your way up to poptart you tag, lock and fire the lrms and when you are on your way down the screenshake stops and you can fire the PPCs. It is hot as hell but can be potent even if it makes you feel a bit dirty for using a build like it :D For less heat you can always use large lasers on chainfire instead.

I used to run the A1 a lot but the lack of an energy hardpoint for a tag made it hard to lurm in pugs. But now that SRMs are fixed you can use a good ol fashioned splatcat variant. But really all the weapons are in the ears... those giant friggin ears that have 40 armor each max...

k2 was the first cat I got with cbills, still a fun mech but no jumpjets and the ballistics are located in the side torsos so it is a tad limited. I have fun with my K2 still but I have never really been very good with it.

#3 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

C1 Balanced Build

A1 Improved Trial Load Out

The C1 is pretty flexible despite the lack of a ballistic. The A1 has a few viable builds. 6xLRM5 is good long range firepower that cycles quickly, and chainfiring them creates constant screen shake for the target. 6xSRM6 (SplatCat) or 6xStreak (StreakCat) are both decent, but be mindful of ghost heat. The A1 is probably best off mixing LRMs and SRMs.

EDIT: As a side note, all of the missile Catapults (C1, A1, and C4) tend to have a delay when firing some of their missiles. It's because the missile bay doors are closed, they need to open and fire. Hitting the "/" key will manually toggle them open and remove the delay. You find similar doors on the Centurion's missiles and the Stalkers arm missile bays.

Edited by Escef, 22 June 2014 - 11:28 AM.

#4 Grayblue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:47 AM

Actually, my most successful Catapult build does not involve LRM.

It is a Catapult C1 with three ERLLs and two SSRM2s, powered by 315XL.

Even after the Clan invasion, this is still my most successful mech. I even own Timberwolves.

I grew up in Catapults since I saw one driven by Sgt. Unther. Every time when a Commando gets on my nerve, I can say,."I will tear that beer can you call a mech into scrap! " with authenticity.

Edited by Grayblue, 23 June 2014 - 03:12 AM.

#5 SchwarzerPeter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

The 3 ERLL build sounds nice, will try it in time.

So far i have experimented with a brawler build for the C4: CPLT-C4 Brawler

Devastating if you are in close range. The ER-LL gives you something to do while waiting for the enemy ^_^

Edited by SchwarzerPeter, 23 June 2014 - 06:13 PM.

#6 High Plains Drifter

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:37 PM

Founders Catapult

Xl 275, 2 LL, 2 ML and 2 lrm 10 with artemis, 4 jump jets.

A very effective build for me as it provides maneuverability and decent firepower, plus I smile every time a light loses a leg
to 28 damage(especially firestarters and ravens and cicadas and I guess the rest of them as well lol)

#7 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:20 AM

View PostAnastasius Kerensky, on 23 June 2014 - 11:37 PM, said:

Founders Catapult

Xl 275, 2 LL, 2 ML and 2 lrm 10 with artemis, 4 jump jets.

A very effective build for me as it provides maneuverability and decent firepower, plus I smile every time a light loses a leg
to 28 damage(especially firestarters and ravens and cicadas and I guess the rest of them as well lol)

Only reason to use an 275XL in that mech is if you had one lying around. The 280XL is the same tonnage.

#8 Varik Ronain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

My most sucessful Cat is the C4 hybrid build listed here
http://mwomercs.com/...ell-as-premade/

Here was a screenshot of a match I had yesterday on caustic using it. All those kills and that damage was from 2 LRM 15s with art AND I did not even go through all of my LRM ammo. (1800 rounds total)

Posted Image

#9 Kaox Veed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...42f839bafda4055

This is my founders build. I have since changed some ammo out for JJs. The ERLL let's you keep damage on the enemy at range even under ECM. If you need tag just drop a Mlas. I do great in this build.

#10 Galathon Redd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationBremerton, WA

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:50 AM

I did the sale too. 3 Catapults, how I missed them... I even tossed a video review on my channel to show off some "poor man" grinding builds and offer my opinion on each variant.

Edited by Galathon Redd, 30 June 2014 - 02:50 AM.

#11 Madcap72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 752 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:56 AM

I use an A1 with 6x LRM5+art, BAP, CC, advanced sensor, and advanced zoom and just added LRM5 cooldown maxed out. Other hardware includes AMS, a 300 XL, double heat sinks and endo steel. It's unlocked to elite level as well.

I routinly get 4-5 kill games, with match scores in the 90's and 100's. The hit percentage is coming in at around 27% on my stats page, and would be higher but a LOT of missle blow into dead mechs. It takes me about 35-40 seconds to kill an assault mech (IS or clan) if everything is going well. I've one salvo'ed heavies coming straight at me as well.

It's basically the meanest, cruelest build possible. People bag on "lrm boats" and how it takes no skill. But playing fast and agressive, using the map and team members to your advantage it can blow people who think they know what they're doing out of the water. While HIGHLY dependant on teamwork, the 6x LRM5 build I have can carry pug games. Using the advanced zoom and firing on targets without locks is extremly effective as well. Sometimes I wonder if peopel know that's a possibility.

I've played around a bunch in the testing grounds, as well as seeing what happens in matches. The LRM5 benifits from being a smaller launcher so missles hit closer together. High arching fire means they come down on or close to a lot of cockpit hit boxes as well, or with moving mechs, tend to hit legs and back.

In getting to the elite level, I tried a lot of differnt builds. This is far and above the most sucessful. Leave it in chain fire, act like a missle machine gun, and watch mech crumble.

To put in persoective, many of my LOSING games in pug matches are 80-90k c-bill games. Winning matches have been 100-150K. Of course, playing only pug matches, I have games where I get killed in the first 30 seconds because no one turns around to see why I'm asking for help getting kiled by ECM lights. BUT, at least to me, the price of having the occasional letdown map is worth the epic murder fest the rest of the matches can be.

If you ever see a black catapult screaming around spitting a never ending stream of LRMs, say hi :)

#12 Phlyer42

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:48 PM

I love my C1, ive always been a fan of the Catapults. There agile, look awesome, and you can have focused lrm boats or go laser heavy. Or do what I do in a C1 with evened out firepower (33 with LRMs, 30 with lasers). I play on a not so great computer putting an average of 20- FPS. But still pop out 1-3 kills on 14FPS. If you want me to tell you my build, ask me and ill give you a list of all the equipment.

#13 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:20 AM

I have a sweet spot for Jester and K2

K2 i usually run with 2 AC5:s and 4 lasers,the Jester with 2 LPL and 4 medium lasers.

#14 Madcap72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 752 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:54 PM

I use a A1 mastered out with 5x (down from 6 for more missles) LRM 5's w/ atrimeis, 300XL, two double heat sinks, Command Console, BAP and a couple tons of ammo (2130 iirc) and a single JJ for climbing.

As far as modules, I have target decay, radar dep, advanced sensors, LRM 5 range and cooldown.

I routintly get over 100k c-bills a game, a recently just had my first 300,000 c-bill game (200k game with 100K from premium) In pug matches no less. Of course there's been plenty of bad games to offset that, but that's where the high water mark is.

During the recent leaderboard challenge I was top ten for the first day in it, and then ran out of time and finished 139th. I would probably have been higher if I had dropped the 6th LRM5.

Prior to target decay, I had advanced zoom. Lots of people don't realize that you can snipe with LRMs. If you don't have a lock, you can more or less put the crosshairs where you want to land missles and certain mechs make cockpit shots easy.

5x LRM 5's on chainfire can chew though most mechs pretty quickly and heat's never a big issue.
With the BAP, CC, and modules, it's almost like having a ghetto ECM, and I can pick up radar locks out to 1200M.

It all adds up to being a very effective mech when combined with knowing the maps, and missle launch angles.
It's deffinitly an "All or nothing" build. It requires a minimum of teamwork to be viable and by minimum I mean that in PUG matches people have too act somewhat predictably. I.E. if I have lights on me, I need to draw them into my team and in front of people so they'll shoot them. If I get caught out alone by anything faster than me I'm smoked. BUT... anything NOT faster than me, I can go one on one and slaughter, almost regaurdless of weight.

The thing to remember, to do well in it, it's not an "lrm boat" and treating it like that is boring. It takes map knowlege, fire and manouver, and agressive play to get the most out of it playing solo. Team drops, especially with a raven or kit fox spotter? It's cold calculating processing of targets.

#15 Bluefalcon13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:15 PM

On my founder-pult, I run the stock weapon load out, but upgraded with xl300 engine, atremis, double heatsinks and endosteel. Threw a BAP on as well, and dumped the rest into lrm ammo and armor.

Since you are ammo limited, dont just dump on any target. Stick with the blob and engage at roughly 400-500m. Lasers plus lrms w/ atremis and LOS does some good damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users