Med Mech Advice - Chat Help In Game

18 replies to this topic

#1 Fenix Primal

• Pip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

Ok i'm a huge Battletech fan and love my mechs! the issues for me is trying to decide how to build a mech for the best playstyle that suits a brawler/sniper like me. Now Warrior name is Fenix Primal if you want to add me.

#2 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

Is there any mech and/or weapon system in particular you want to use?
Otherwise, if you're looking for a solid medium mech, I'd recommend the Shadow Hawk. I have an AC 5, PPC and 3 SSRMs on mine and it's great for medium to long range combat (while having those SSRMs to keep lights off my back).

#3 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

I agree with DrRedCoat that ShadowHawks are pretty good mechs for brawling/sniping. Do you want to be able to do both equally? If yes, then one of the ShadowHawks might work for you. Otherwise Jagermechs can be pretty nasty with 4 AC2s or 2 AC2, 2AC5s I think. (I don't run them myself, I just know that they can tear me up.
)

Edited by mailin, 20 January 2014 - 02:16 PM.

#4 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

Another possible choice here is the Centurion, or go with a heavy mech such as the Jaggermech or the ever popular Cataphract. Both tend to be ballistic-focused and quite effective on the battlefield right now.

#5 Runs With Scissors

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

I run a jager with an AC20, AC2 and AC5. gives me great range and allows me to drop the hammer brawling, need an XL engine tho.

#6 Katus

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationTucson AZ

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

My best brawler is an Atlas D-DC with 2 LB-10x-AC and an ER PPC. I also have a D-DC with 2 ER PPCs and 3 SRM6 with Artemis. I don't run that one as much. They really need to fix the SRM hit registration.

#7 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

Have you played through the trial mechs? What did you think?

"Brawler" covers a wide variety. Some people prefer assaults, brimming with guns and armor, as brawlers. Others find that they're too slow, and prefer to brawl in something that can move - float like a butterfly and all that. Some people want the most boom per salvo. Others want to be able to dps their target to death.

So of the trials, did any of them fit your fancy? Do you want to be able to jump? Was a particular mech too fast or too slow?

Edited by Buckminster, 20 January 2014 - 06:06 PM.

#8 Arahantius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

View PostKatus, on 20 January 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

My best brawler is an Atlas D-DC with 2 LB-10x-AC and an ER PPC. I also have a D-DC with 2 ER PPCs and 3 SRM6 with Artemis. I don't run that one as much. They really need to fix the SRM hit registration.

I've seen this build in action, deadly. Tears other atlases apart and even light mechs need to be wary because of the shotguns.

#9 Katus

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationTucson AZ

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

For light hunting I use my 5 SSRM Golden Boy. It is also my best CBill grinder. But, ya, the twin shotguns makes for a bad day for any light that gets kissed by 'em. The only thing I don't like is the torso hard points for them since the Atlas is so slow to maneuver.

#10 Fenix Primal

• Pip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

ShadowHawk 2D2 is what I own right now, I prefer the shadowhawk chasis but I cant wait for the nova chasis, that is my all time favorite.

#11 Fenix Primal

• Pip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:58 PM

If this helps as well I like to rip armor to shreds and kill quickly, but with the right tonnage to move fast and hit hard.

#12 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

If you want a combo of the two, brawling AND sniping, I can't suggest much else other than this 2D2 build. Now if you want rigs that can do either role, and hold its own in the other, there's already some good suggestions here.

#13 Fenix Primal

• Pip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:44 PM

An update, with the trial mechs I find myself liking the dragon, just needs more oomf I think?

#14 Xiang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 242 posts
  • LocationTrying desperately to get behind you for an Alpha Strike!

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:47 PM

Not sure what time zone you play in Fenix, but i will be online and on TS on Tuesday morning about 30 minutes before the patch and immediately following the patch. Throw me a friend invite in game and we can try to meet up.

btw - my normal play times are 0930 PST - 1400 PST (mon -fri except weekends and holidays, i spend those days with my family)

Xiang

Edited by Xiang, 20 January 2014 - 10:49 PM.

#15 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:40 AM

View PostKatus, on 20 January 2014 - 07:57 PM, said:

For light hunting I use my 5 SSRM Golden Boy.

KTO-18 will take the same armament and the speed to actually keep up with lights. Generally works better for light-hunting. Doesn't have the 30% bonus, though.

#16 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:33 AM

View PostFenix Primal, on 20 January 2014 - 10:44 PM, said:

An update, with the trial mechs I find myself liking the dragon, just needs more oomf I think?

Try a dual gauss build. You can do this on a cataphract, catapult k2, or jagermech. also, more tonnage to play with as well as staying within the heavy class.

#17 Fenix Primal

• Pip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:26 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 21 January 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

Try a dual gauss build. You can do this on a cataphract, catapult k2, or jagermech. also, more tonnage to play with as well as staying within the heavy class.

Im looking at hero mechs now, and im more drawn to ilya muromets than say the jester, however I up for some opinions on the two before I go wasting my money :rolleyes:

Edited by Fenix Primal, 21 January 2014 - 08:26 AM.

#18 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

View PostFenix Primal, on 21 January 2014 - 08:26 AM, said:

Im looking at hero mechs now, and im more drawn to ilya muromets than say the jester, however I up for some opinions on the two before I go wasting my money :rolleyes:

I don't own either of those heroes so I'm speaking from limited experience but I've seen success with both. The primary consideration between the two is probably weapons preference and mobility. The Jester is all energy weapons and has jump jets. The Ilya Muromets can hold a mixed bag of ballistics and energy. Also, the Jester has its main weapons mounted high on the chassis (good for shooting over ridges) as opposed to the IM's low-slung arms (better for aiming at close, fast targets). The only other advice I can offer is playing around in smurfy and seeing which supports a build you like better.

#19 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:07 AM

View PostFenix Primal, on 21 January 2014 - 08:26 AM, said:

Im looking at hero mechs now, and im more drawn to ilya muromets than say the jester, however I up for some opinions on the two before I go wasting my money :)

Since it came out, the Ilya Muromets has been one of the most commonly praised Hero mechs. That's been about a year. I own one due to all the praise about it. It took me a while to adjust to it. The low slung arms made me shoot the ground a lot. After recently mastering the chassis line though, it's a good investment.

I also have mastered 3 Catapults. I started with the K-2 which can mount energy and ballistics (opposite what catapults are really famous for--missiles). It's also been a pretty adaptable chassis. If you have a buddy in game, playing the missile support role with the other catapults can be pretty fun and effective. I have not bought the Jester though since I like energy weapons, I have thought about it, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on this (or any) game. For now I am just saving it up for sales, perhaps a camo or color or two. I might buy a Hero if it's on sale, but I have 2 phoenix mechs and 2 heros now so the cbill boost is not as enticing. After using my premium time from the phoenix package, I am now tempted to go that route!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users