What Is My Bottleneck, What To Upgrade?

25 replies to this topic

#21 chevy42083

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

How old? Got it recently, still listed on best buy and many others.
http://www.bestbuy.c...113#tab=reviews

Thanks for all the input guys. Correct... I am not looking to replace every part, or build a new one... by the time I'm ready to upgrade, I'll be researching again... cause technology will have advanced more. But it's nice to look that stuff up too... just in case it fit the budget.

In a nutshell, what I'm getting is,
~<$50 for PSU
~$150-200 for GPU <On the kinda budget end (not $400 )>
The two I keep seeing in my range of price/performance is 7870 and GT660... it seems the 7870 as the favored one.

I'll probably add some fans too... my case has plenty of slots for more, and it's kinda tucked next to a wall, under a desk. Couldn't hurt.

Also... for some reason, I hadn't even considered the wireless internet connection. i think I'll try to string a cable across the room... just to see if it improves. speedtest.net? Or is there a better way to check this?

Edited by chevy42083, 22 January 2014 - 12:08 PM.

#22 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

View Postchevy42083, on 22 January 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

How old? Got it recently, still listed on best buy and many others.
http://www.bestbuy.c...113#tab=reviews

Thanks for all the input guys. Correct... I am not looking to replace every part, or build a new one... by the time I'm ready to upgrade, I'll be researching again... cause technology will have advanced more. But it's nice to look that stuff up too... just in case it fit the budget.

In a nutshell, what I'm getting is,
~<$50 for PSU
~$150-200 for GPU <On the kinda budget end (not $400 )>
The two I keep seeing in my range of price/performance is 7870 and GT660... it seems the 7870 as the favored one.

I'll probably add some fans too... my case has plenty of slots for more, and it's kinda tucked next to a wall, under a desk. Couldn't hurt.

Also... for some reason, I hadn't even considered the wireless internet connection. i think I'll try to string a cable across the room... just to see if it improves. speedtest.net? Or is there a better way to check this?

speed test is the best ISP tester, and yeah a fan or two never hurt, all in all PSU + GPU is a win..........one day you could decide to learn OC but hey thats for another day..........

#23 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

If u are considering a gtx 660, it is Def worth your while looking at the 660ti. I am running one and the game on Max settings is no issue at all

#24 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

View Postchevy42083, on 22 January 2014 - 04:59 AM, said:

Side note: I do process/edit lots of HD video, so if it'd help speed up that... bonus.

Tom's Hardware said:

Adobe After Effects shows the $2400 machine performing nearly twice as well as the $800 machine, boosting the value of the cheaper build. On the other hand, it punishes Don's $1600 PC for having the same core count as Paul's $800 PC.

Edited by Goose, 22 January 2014 - 11:02 PM.

#25 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

Get an r9 270x strong and cheap gpu. Your cpu will be fine for games but don't expect extreme fps.

#26 v4skunk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

Do not buy a gpu because it has high mhz......When buying a gpu check for how large the memory bus and VRAM is and also check for how many shader cores the gpu has.
Also check benchmarks for performance compared to other cards.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users