Usb Devices & Safe Place To Download Drivers

5 replies to this topic

#1 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:21 PM

Never saw these USB to Game Port devices before, are they any good? After returning the joystick that did not work, I am thinking I could try one of these with my older Quickshot Squadron Commander. This joystick worked well before I got a computer with no game port.

Or am I better off getting one of those cards with a Game Port on it? Seems these are all sound cards, I have been using basic sound that was built in all this time.

How good are those USB 3.5 floppy drives?

Where are some safe places that have drivers? I am looking for drivers of the:
Quickshot Squadron Commander joystick
Parallel Port ZIP Drive

#2 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

WTF? That's some serious relic hardware you are talking about.

Not quite sure if this is a troll or serious.

If your USB stick did not work with MWO, a gameport stick is not going to be any better (Unless it comes with config software to make it behave how MWO expects a stick to behave).

Most modern soundcards do not have gameports on them any more, that format is long dead.

Any stick will work with MWO, you just need to config MWO right, and/or adjust the way the stick reports to the OS.

If you want to pull some stuff off an old Zip drive, you can use WinXP mode in Windows 7.

A USB floppy will work just fine if you have files you need to pull off floppy.

#3 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:58 PM

My USB stick had a problem keeping the Throttle centered anytime I plugged it in. Every single time I plugged it into the computer, the software showed the Throttle not centered. I contacted Thrustmaster and sent them pics from calibration efforts, I was told to return the product. I could buy another but seeing these USB to Game Port devices and a small number of sound cards with Game Ports, I debate if it may not be better to just get that for less and use it with a stick I know works, only whether the old stick would work with the converter is the question.

Can't do XP mode in Win7 as I use Vista. Vista will detect the Parallel Port ZIP Drive when connected but I cannot get the drivers & software to load normally off the CD.

#4 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:35 AM

When you say the throttle was "Not centered", what do you mean?
When the physical lever was in the middle position, the preview in game controllers showed it as off-center?
And calibration using the normal windows calibration routine did not fix it?

Regarding the Zip drive, I believe drivers can be found here. I think WinXP drivers should also work with Vista.

#5 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

Not centered means:
1 - I plug in device.
2 - Throttle is physically centered.
3 - Check in calibration software (both Vista and Thrustmaster), Throttle is not centered.
4 - Go through steps to calibrate center Throttle.
5 - Come back next time, step #3 shows Throttle not centered again.

Supposedly once calibrated, the centering should remain saved so there is no need to repeat the process every time I plug in yet I always had to. Even Thrustmaster said it was wrong so I sent it back.

#6 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:19 AM

Yeah, sounds like it was broken.

If you can pick one up cheap, quite a good stick is this (Various names, all the same).

Top Gun Afterburner II
T.Flight Hotas X

The layout (Throttle plus rudder paddle) is pretty ideal for MWO - especially if you detach the throttle unit from the stick, and use the throttle part for speed/leg control and a mouse for aiming.

However, the detents (notches) on the throttle are not in ideal places, and the innards are of a little low quality.
Both issues could be solved with modding though - I plan on doing a Hall sensor upgrade on mine at some point.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users