'right Hook' Hunchback Builds?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Reaver

Rookie

• The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

Bit of history - I bought a Hunchback -4H a long time ago, when I started playing MWO, and ended up selling it rapidly because I didn't 'get' it. Now I've given it another go and it's rapidly won my heart, getting played while my Phoenix mechs, Misery and other heroes sit gathering dust.

So far I've played very conventionally; 5x ML + LB10-X, 3x ML + AC/20, that sort of thing.

But I was curious about playing a version that minimizes the use of the 'hunch' in favour of survivable firepower, namely by plugging a big gun on the left hand; the idea being to keep your best firepower even if the hunch gets blown away.

I came up with the below quickly, but I'd like to know how the pros do it.

HBK-4H
260 STD, 17 DHS, LL, 4x ML

Edited by Lord Reaver, 15 January 2014 - 09:40 PM.

#2 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

Pointless.

First, enemies will see your loadout anyway. Second, the arm is less armored than the hunch and - since you need to be facing your target for a while to dish out any laser damage - not all that much harder to hit, Third, if you think a single LLas would do any real damage on anything below 120 km/h, you're wrong.

#3 MungFuSensei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:12 AM

If you wanna go for a right hook, you need a chassis with more on that side. This leaves the 4SP, and the Grid Iron. I know SRMs get a lot of hate, but an ASRM6 up close behaves very similarly to an LB10X, at close to a third of the weight. The arms are slung low, so you're better off with pulse lasers. LLs won't pack enough punch for the heat, and PPCs aren't good brawling weapons. A hunchless Hunchie of this type would ideally want something like a medium pulse in the head, ASRM6, large pulse in the arm. This is still plenty of punch. The Grid Iron shines here because that hunch makes a great shield if you're not afraid to lose it.

#4 Lord Reaver

Rookie

• The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:24 AM

Awesome, thanks for the quick responses. As I said, that build I'd posted was just a quick mock-up; based on your feedback I doubt I'll play it now.

#5 Fenris Krinkovich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationWestfall, OK

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

Shouldn't this be called "left hook"?

#6 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:21 AM

Personally, I usually sacrifice my left arm long before my hunch gets knocked out.

#7 Salinor

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

if you wan't a right hook than use this:
[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...12e4049b35d5e1f[/smurfy]
large lasers galore, it's only missing one or two things...

#8 RiotHero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

On your build just by adding endo you end up with 6 slots left and enough weight to add two more double heatsinks and up your armor.

I made some mods to your idea.

HBK-4H

You end up with less speed more fire power and heatsinks. The point of your thread is to still pack a some fire power if you lose your hunch. On this one if you do you still have a LPL and MPL plus most of your heatsinks mounted on that side. It should give you 16.6 damage that is nothing to sneeze at. I've had just a medium in the head save me before.

Probably not something I would build but, who knows. I like crazy builds and you never know until you try them. I think something like this would work better on the 4p because you could still load the hunch up with small lasers for weight.

#9 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

I have been running this for the 4H. LBX helps when dealing with Lights.
For a LL build, the 4P worked out OK.

#10 Blue Frog

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 89 posts
  • LocationWhere You Least Expect...

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:38 AM

I typically run a 4h with an LB10-X and 5 MLs. I put the ammo in the legs and drop CASE. Seems to work well for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users