Anti Camping System

18 replies to this topic

Poll: Anti Camping System (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Should an Anti Camping system be implamented?

1. Yes. if a person Camps for too long in one area a Target should apper on them. (3 votes [23.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

2. Yes. But it should only be if you power down (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

3. No. I camp enough and manage to keep my K/D high! (7 votes [53.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

4. No. But i agree camping is a problem. (2 votes [15.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:43 PM

So. a few minutes ago on HPG Manafold, my team was wiped out minus a lone Spider. Who was powered down on the top of the walls were No other mech's could get him. This made the whole game take forever! and clearly those walls weren't meant to be used in such a game braking way.

So I propose an anti Camping system. one simple way would be to make it so that if a mech powers down for too long a nav marker appears revealing there location. if they are in a location that other mech's cant reach then Automatic missiles will target the offending mech after a 10 second count down and warning. These missiles (after the warning expires) launch and automatically destroy the offending mech.

In Metroid Prime Hunters, camping for too long made you a target when "COWARD DETECTED" appeared on every other players screen showing everyone were you were hideing. This was a simple, but very effective way to eliminate camping, but didn't work on snipers as long as they were doing damage to enemy players.

Is it too much to ask that something this simple be implemented? I cant be the only one who thinks this is a problem.

Edited by Knightshadowsong, 27 January 2014 - 08:44 PM.

#2 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

Just report him for non-participation.

#3 fluffypinkbunny

Best Fluffy Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 583 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:29 PM

if the spider did fight, and his team lost, now he is hiding which is a valid tactic. it doesn't say you have to die. You can fight, then hide.

#4 fluffypinkbunny

Best Fluffy Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 583 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

Forgot a poll option, Camping is not a problem, any other spider could have gotten up there to get him, and many other light mechs, it's not his fault the enemy team doesn't have the right build to skirmish correctly.

#5 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:37 PM

Except he DIDN'T FIGHT! that's my whole point! he did it to just drag out the match!

#6 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

Yes it's a common complaint for skirmish mode. Devs at this point are looking at ways to gauge non-participation.

My recommendation? Regardless of whether he fought earlier or not, if there's lots of time left (and there usually is), report him for non-participation and let the Devs sort out if he crossed the line or not.

It's their issue to deal with, so let them.

And it has been noted....anyone can get up that wall that rings HPG. There are at least two ramps near starting areas that one can climb to go search for the powered down.

Personally...it's the price we pay for a TDM.

p.s. your Poll is worded with alot of bias, making it even more useless than a regular poll on these forums. Players and certainly not Devs are going to pay it much mind when so heavily skewed. Rarely do they pay attention to forum discussion but you can bet that when they do, it tends towards the calmer, more reasoned arguments (it's easy to ignore the rhetoric and vitriol and I'm sure they just skip right over it). Right or wrong, it is what it is.

Edited by Lukoi, 27 January 2014 - 09:42 PM.

#7 Deathsani

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

Yep, made a big melodramatic post about this one myself. Just report it, they are looking for stats to track and more information helps.

Sometimes people just get to waste other people's time for the sake of an imaginary ratio that only they can see.

#8 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

I still say that this would be a nice feature to end this problem. anyone else willing to pitch idea's on this matter PLEASE speak up.

#9 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

play assault. cap base. win.

#10 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

Yeah. But I got sick of lights just running to the base and capping. *sigh*

#11 Fut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:11 AM

View PostKnightshadowsong, on 27 January 2014 - 08:43 PM, said:

So I propose an anti Camping system. one simple way would be to make it so that if a mech powers down for too long a nav marker appears revealing there location. if they are in a location that other mech's cant reach then Automatic missiles will target the offending mech after a 10 second count down and warning. These missiles (after the warning expires) launch and automatically destroy the offending mech.

Please no. Nothing like this... ever.
It's supposed to be the thinking-man's shooter, we really don't need giant overlays across our screens holding our hands and guiding us to the last enemy, and we certainly don't need the game to take over and finish our battles for us.

Did nobody on your team have Arty/Airstrike available?
Or, you know... Play Assault where you can just go and Cap if something like this happens.

#12 IcySpy

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:07 AM

Why let the game decide if it's fair to show somebody's position? Dead spectators using <all> chat is a common thing, so why not help them?
Give them a "reveal friendly mech(s)" vote option and everybody's happy.
If that doesn't help, a surrender vote after a minute will fix that.

#13 tucsonspeed6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 408 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

People use strategies all the time that include stopping and waiting. If I'm in a brawler and I'm waiting for a match to scramble up a bit before moving out into the open, that's a valid strategy. I don't need the game calling me a coward and giving every missile boat a target lock on me because I smart enough to not run out in the open to get shot up.

This whole 'if you give up your teammates position at any point, you will be permabanned' thing is a myth. The people in charge of these things aren't stupid. They have a database where match stats are logged. They have kill stats, chat logs, anything at all to figure out what happened in any match. If you outted that guys position, he's the only one who would complain. And the person getting the complaint can figure out pretty quick which person is the repeat offender troll.

#14 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:31 AM

Three things.... Skirmish.. You asked for it so suck it up. If there was cap then thus would not be an issue.. Secondly EVERY man ch can get on top of the walls without jjs. Thirdly..... Suck it up.. There is nothing wrong with the tactic if there is a possibility of winning. If not then tough luck. Do a sweep of thrvfield and have a mech with bap. Don't report him. Every one wanted skirmish. The designers knew it was a problem henc bases and players knew better so this is why we are here.

#15 Taynak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:57 AM

Will not vote because your poll is extremely biased...

on top of that i have rarely seen people actually camp in this game... this isn't call of duty... if you sit still your going to die most likely.. so yeah...

I vote NO because there is no need for this and all your suggestions for fixing it are completely rediculous... if you can't handle the game... go somewhere else...

#16 Taynak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:01 AM

BTW this isn't Metroid... powering down and hiding are part of the game... and i would rather have that then have everything but a spider be destroyed and he wait for you to be in the middle of the map and then go speed cap your base... or have a team of 12 lights wait for you to be in the middle of the map and then run for your base... if you don't like skirmish then go play "assault" which is really more of capture the flag...

#17 Pataine

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

Why should I be forced to run at the enemy and kill myself so you can go on to another match? Quit out and play another mech. Easy as that. You CoD players wanted skirmish and now are whining about lights not running at the enemy and dying so can pew pew again quick with that mech. Learn to play a light or stop whining. Here's an idea how bout someone in your lance play a light that can deal with the situation instead of everyone running an assault. Wow easy fix. So I am on top of a spot you cant get to. Great tactic of mine and a fail on your part for not thinking of it.

#18 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

View PostKnightshadowsong, on 27 January 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

Yeah. But I got sick of lights just running to the base and capping. *sigh*

And now you can get sick of them running and hiding at the end of the battle. Its not like this should be a big surprise to you... both PGI, and other players not particularly enamored with this play mode pointed out this little flaw, but people kept asking for Skirmish.

Would you rather them take it back away again? Can't say I would lose any sleep if they did, but others may not agree.

#19 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

Belorion. Yes. I wanted skirmish. But I never said that camping was what I wanted. I wish people would get it through there head that Camping is NOT supposed to be a part of this game! people ***** and moan about there K/D but WHO CARES! it's something ONLY you can see! I'm tied of troll players running to some inaccessible corner of the map and sitting like cowards and dragging out the game. It robs other players of the fun they were having and just makes people Not want to play any more.

I'm not a COD player, and honestly, I know Camping is going to be a problem in any FPS game. but this is just takeng it TOO bloody far.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users